Zeiss Victory RF Review / Overview UPDATED: with full REVIEW

CB11WYO

Reaction score
Hey there...
I've had one of my own for testing for more than a month now.
Were you all as disappointed in this new unit's ranging abilities as I was or is mine a fluke?
I'd rate it as a reliable 800-1000 yard rangefinder but that's about it... not even that in some conditions. The Leica Geovid HD-B's put it to shame, what's been your take?

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
Hey there...
I've had one of my own for testing for more than a month now.
Were you all as disappointed in this new unit's ranging abilities as I was or is mine a fluke?
I'd rate it as a reliable 800-1000 yard rangefinder but that's about it... not even that in some conditions. The Leica Geovid HD-B's put it to shame, what's been your take?
Sounds to me like you have a pair of pre-production prototypes. Our finished production models range just fine and are performing very well.

Jeff

CB11WYO

Reaction score
Good to know.
Thanks for getting back to me.

akrech

Reaction score
Broz,
i am in the market for a new range finder I have a pair of Nikon rangefinding Binoculars and love having the combination but am not happy with the range finder, it works ok in cloudy low light situations but poor when bright out or trying to get animals over 600-700 yards. I have decided I want to spend the money and buy the best rangefinding system I can. What should I be looking at zeis, Leica, Swarovski, sig? I currently us applied ballistics app and like the results I get better than any I have used. I noticed that zeis and Leica do not use G7 or applied balistics calculator. Am I going to be happy with the balistics generated from the zeis or Leica or am I going to be stuck plugging data to my app. Is sigs new rangefinding binds going to have the applied balistics calculator in them?

Reaction score
The only rangefinding binoculars I’ve ever spent significant time with are the new Zeiss Victory RF. I have used them a lot and their Ballistics solution in the binocular has provided correct elevation holds out to 1250 yards and they worked phenomenal on a spike elk I killed at 965 yards a few weeks ago. The binoculars do not have a way to input wind into them and so if you need a wind calculation you need to use their app or a separate app.

I feel for most big game hunters the binoculars range sufficiently well. I hunt in mountain terrain which helps me have solid backdrops to range to and I’ve had no problem getting out past 1k in any field condition. However after 1200 sometimes they struggle depending on the lighting. Yesterday I was using them to range bucks in the snow at 1200 yards without issue and could range down the canyon and get yardages in excess of 2k yards but seeing yardages over 1200 in all lighting conditions is not something I’d count on them to deliver on.

I have so much faith and confidence in the Sig Kilo 2400 with Applied Ballistics that it’s still coming along with me on my hunts even though I’ve proven the Zeiss to be accurate. When target shooting the Kilo definitely gets the nod when I shoot in excess of 1200 yards.

akrech

Reaction score
Do you sell the Zeis, i do not se them on your website? Do you feel that the Sig Kilo 2400 ranges farther than the Zeis in tougher conditions?
I plugged my 6.5 creedmoor load into the Zeis app and it was .45 mils different at 800yrds than the applied ballistics solution that I have found to be spot on.

Reaction score
Do you sell the Zeis, i do not se them on your website? Do you feel that the Sig Kilo 2400 ranges farther than the Zeis in tougher conditions?
I plugged my 6.5 creedmoor load into the Zeis app and it was .45 mils different at 800yrds than the applied ballistics solution that I have found to be spot on.
The Zeiss app matches my Applied Ballistics app within .1 MOA and I’d bet you have a parameter set differently in one of your programs.

In terms of pure ranging ability, I have observed the KILO2400ABS ranges more targets in more conditions and at greater distances.

Boscodog

Reaction score
Hello Jeff,
I’m not sure if this is the right forum for this question but I’ll go for it anyway. I’m looking at getting a NF atacr x25 2nd focal, i’m curious to know what your thoughts are, what you prefe, the MOAR or the MOAR- T reticle, at present I have the NSX 5.5x22x50 npr-1.
I’ll be using it primarily for hunting .

thanks,
Tom

Last edited:

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
Hello Jeff,
I’m not sure if this is the right forum for this question but I’ll go for it anyway. I’m looking at getting a NF atacr x25 2nd focal, i’m curious to know what your thoughts are, what you prefe, the MOAR or the MOAR- T reticle, at present I have the NSX 5.5x22x50 npr-1.
I’ll be using it primarily for hunting .

thanks,
Tom
Tom, the NPR-1 and the MOAR T are almost exactly the same in thickness. The MOAR is about double in thickness.

I prefer the MOAR T

Jeff

Rootshot

Reaction score
Hey folks....new to the forum. Found this thread after searching for info on the Zeiss after my current binos crapped out on me on a hunt this last weekend.

I'm really stumped why they didn't put windage into the ballistics calculator. Whenever I do a range card, I just do a 10MPH wind column and then adjust using mental math depending on actual conditions. Would be super easy to add for them.

I also didn't see a way to enter G7 BCs. According to Zeiss customer support "The app does support G7 curves" yet I can't find it.

Just received a follow-up from Zeiss: "You are right..There are very few G7 curves which are not covered for every bullet." It sounds like G7 is only supported on a subset of bullets and there is no manual entry option.

I'm also reluctant to be dependent on an external device. I've seen enough times where a vendor stops updating an app and eventually I'm stuck with a useless piece of hardware. This may be OK for cheap consumer gadgets, but I expect binoculars to last me a very long time. Some backup form of inefficient button-only input would make me totally happy.

If it had these features, Id buy one.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey folks....new to the forum. Found this thread after searching for info on the Zeiss after my current binos crapped out on me on a hunt this last weekend.

I'm really stumped why they didn't put windage into the ballistics calculator. Whenever I do a range card, I just do a 10MPH wind column and then adjust using mental math depending on actual conditions. Would be super easy to add for them.

I also didn't see a way to enter G7 BCs. According to Zeiss customer support "The app does support G7 curves" yet I can't find it.

Just received a follow-up from Zeiss: "You are right..There are very few G7 curves which are not covered for every bullet." It sounds like G7 is only supported on a subset of bullets and there is no manual entry option.

I'm also reluctant to be dependent on an external device. I've seen enough times where a vendor stops updating an app and eventually I'm stuck with a useless piece of hardware. This may be OK for cheap consumer gadgets, but I expect binoculars to last me a very long time. Some backup form of inefficient button-only input would make me totally happy.

If it had these features, Id buy one.
Check out the latest review to see how to manually enter G7 curves. Also, I’m sorry I didn’t see this months ago to answer your question!

FNJ

Reaction score
Hi

In the Zeiss Hunting app one can define a ballistic profile where muzzle velocity, bullet weight and BC are added. I have been looking for a place to put in temperature and pressure but cannot see where to do this. Does Zeiss assume for example 20 degrees celsius and 1013mbar as zeroing parameters?

Kind regards
FNJ

bigbulls

Reaction score
Justin did you have to tweak your muzzle velocity any on your Zeiss to match the Sig Kilo 2400? I took my sig out today to verified a new load at long range and the sig matched the gun perfectly but I had to tweak the Zeiss app/bino's + 15 fps to make them both read same MOA Sig,Zeiss,gun.

Reaction score
Justin did you have to tweak your muzzle velocity any on your Zeiss to match the Sig Kilo 2400? I took my sig out today to verified a new load at long range and the sig matched the gun perfectly but I had to tweak the Zeiss app/bino's + 15 fps to make them both read same MOA Sig,Zeiss,gun.
I didn’t. I ran the velocity the chronograph gave me and it was great. I may have seen differences of 0.1 MOA between the two systems but it never really mattered. Make sure on the sig you have “0” wind conditions because it’ll factor in aerodynamic jump into the solution.

Trae

Reaction score
I’m looking to purchase a new binoculars/ LR. I’ve check out your YouTube video on Zeiss victory RF 10x54. I have also been looking at Swarovski EL range. You had mentioned it as your personal. I’m just looking for a recommendation. I don’t have much experience with either. I do have a Swarovski STR 80 spotting scope.

Trae

Reaction score
I’m looking to purchase a new binoculars/ LR. I’ve check out your YouTube video on Zeiss victory RF 10x54. I have also been looking at Swarovski EL range. You had mentioned it as your personal. I’m just looking for a recommendation. I don’t have much experience with either. I do have a Swarovski STR 80 spotting scope.

Forum Sponsors