Working together to create a 'Defense of Longrange Hunting' document

jmden

Reaction score
If you're like me, you're probably tired of defending longrange hunting on a regular basis. Some won't even let you have the opportunity to defend it. Not much we can do about that. There are some who will listen or read, perhaps, what is spoken or written and it might change a few minds about it, perhaps enough over time that potential regulations, such as what are being looked at in NV, would not come to fruition.

So, my thought here, if Jeff and Shawn are OK with it, is for us all to contribute with arguments for and against longrange hunting and work at making the 'for' arguments even more sound, perhaps even put them all together in one document that we might copy and paste into another forum or perhaps in a letter to your state's wildlife officials, etc. If nothing else, this effort might sharpen all of our arguments for longrange hunting so that each of us could more quickly, around the table, at the range or with computer or pen and paper, have sound, solid arguments ready and waiting for those that will listen. Have to start somewhere...

Shawn has an excellent section on the ethics of longrange hunting in his latest video, 'How 2 Send It' and I'd sure like to see him post that section of the video on youtube. It would be a great way to share some of this info where all folks had to do was click on a link and watch and listen. Alternatively, however, we might be able to sharpen (make sure we are thinking correctly and honestly, etc.) our arguments by tearing apart and putting back together various arguments for or against longrange hunting here.

In short, I'm hoping to create a thread that we could all refer back to for some good info to help in moments when we have a chance to defend long range hunting.

Thoughts?

Jon

jmden

Reaction score
I'll start off with this, a post I put up a little bit ago on another forum. Tear the arguments apart and put them back together in a more meaningful, sound way. Add some arguments or challenge us with anti-longrange hunting arguments that we can tear apart and sharpen our thinking in the process.

--Start--

Understood, so let's use this forum to unite hunters rather than divide hunters. Hmmm? My way is the right way and yours (long range hunting) isn't. Says who? You? (I'm speaking in general here, not to GKPrice.) This seems to be a common bandwagon to jump on lately--bash long range hunting. I find that it is usually done by those that understand it the least. So, the least qualified people often are making the most noise. Having been on the receiving end of this for years, every single time by people who do not know and virtually every time by people that choose to remain willfully ignorant about responsible long range hunting, I make it a point to not bash someone else's legal, responsible method of hunting, nor try to regulate their freedom to hunt as they choose and take that freedom away. Let's focus on doing things right--putting forth the work and effort to make a clean, quick kill no matter what the chosen weapon. THAT is where our efforts should be going. Not in-fighting as threads like this always bring up, which is exactly what the antis want. The more they can divide us among ourselves, the more they are winning. Don't let them do that.

This issue of responsible hunting applies equally to anybody and their choice of weapon. The concept does not discriminate and is certainly not only for long range hunters.

I think we can be our own worst enemies when we start in-fighting about issues like long range hunting instead of fighting the battle to promote and help non-hunters understand the incredible value for humans and wildlife alike of the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation, for instance. It wasn't too many years ago, when bow hunting in general was looked down upon by many in the same way many are now doing to long range hunting... And, contrary to a post or two above that says you can just go spend a bunch of money and be in the field soon afterwards...that is a complete short circuit of what responsible hunting is. (I could to that with any hunting weapon and many hunters do exactly that by only go the range once before the season, or not at all, or then shoot only off a bench before going to the field.) You have not learned your craft and so are not making responsible choices if that is what is how you are preparing. Back to the word responsible again.

Are guys that shoot a bow at an animal beyond 40 yds doing it wrong? Oh, but they are closer so it's real hunting. Ahh...who defines that? The first time someone picked up a spear instead of a rock to kill an animal, was that unethical? Oh, but you're defeating the senses of the animal by being so far away! Ever hunt out of a duck blind, tree stand or turkey blind--all forms of ambush hunting? Do you wear camo, use scent blocker, move slowly and quietly? At what point is these huge efforts to defeat the senses of the animal OK for one kind of hunting by not another? Seems pretty arbitrary to pin long range hunting. The best solution would be that all hunters have to leave their house naked and figure out a way to harvest and animal and survive and get back home, you know? And who decides this? Who makes the arbitrary judgement that this is OK and this isn't? Start making a big enough fuss or cave to the types of anti long range hunting arguments that are out there and that will just be the foot in the door for more and more regulation for all types of hunting where the freedom to make these choices is taken away from you--from all of us. Legal, responsible hunting. Period. Instead promote hunting in general and fight for our freedoms to make these choices.

Hunting has seen a recent surge in popularity, especially among women, much of this due to the fact that many folks that might not think about it otherwise are concerned about where their meat comes from and the conditions the store bought animals they are eating were in. I don't think we need to be overly concerned about what antis think. There will always be antis and many of them will never understand, will remain willfully ignorant even when presented with stubborn facts and we as a hunting community must always stand together to defeat their foolish emotion based arguments. Stand together, don't fall apart, and promote responsible hunting and what is has done for people and all wildlife across our country. I don't care if those who oppose us are Democrats, Republicans, Senators, lawyers, laypeople of the King of Egypt!

When some say they think long range hunting is wrong, they are dividing the hunting community whether they realize it or not and the energy that goes towards this division is appalling--energy that should be spent on pro-hunting outreach efforts. I'm a tired and frankly find it very unfortunate that the efforts of organizations like the Boone and Crockett Club and people like Wayne Van Zwoll who are making efforts at dividing hunters (whether they realize it or not) through foolish arguments against long range hunting. I say shame on them and those like them for these efforts. Instead, we should all be promoting legal, responsible hunting. Period.

Who most benefits by dividing hunters...? Why should we help them? Stick together or hang separately as the old adage goes.

--End--

MontanaMarine

Reaction score
My opinion on all of this,

Ignore the ankle-biters, and do what you do.

Unethical shots are taken at all ranges. It has always been so. There is no possible way to quantify or prosecute a "ethical range" with any weapon system, be it archery, handgun, rifle, or whatever. Just too many variables.

Know the capabilities and limitations of yourself, and your tools. Work within them.

Forum Sponsors