Wife Draws 1st time WYO Antelope

BackCountryMeats

Reaction score
Hello all,
My wife has put in for her first time in Wyoming and has drawn her first Antelope hunt in Area 15. My understanding is this is a very tough area to hunt. I’ve got her set up with my .300wm and she shoots amazingly well.

I have never hunted or been to Area 15, does anyone have any recommendations. I began researching the area and looking for BLM on ONX, it appears to have some but I’m not too sure about access to them. Will need to dig in a little deeper. I am also hoping to reach out to some land owners for a trespassing fee. Hopefully I can pull something together for her and make this a great first Antelope hunt for her.

Any advice / recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you all!
Nick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rfurman24

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like very little public and even worse access. I would get on the phone with the game warden/biologist to discuss the access and the areas that hold goats.

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
Do your homework before you go as Ryan suggested. If you get a list of ranchers that allow access don't get discouraged if you get a butt chewing when you call them. But I would still call anyone on the list. If you want to increase your odds and hunt quality, you may also consider paying a trespass fee to get to a honey hole.

rfurman24

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
I would call the local Chamber of Commerce, taxidermists, meat lockers asking for landowners who may allow access/tresspass.

BackCountryMeats

Reaction score
Thank you both as always for your help. I will begin reaching out to Wardens / Biologist and hope for the best. Broz, when you say “honey hole”, are you referring to all of the land locked BLM land?
Nick

Ladd

Reaction score
Congrats to your wife but don't head to Vegas just yet, that unit is just about a guaranteed draw. I've not hunted there before but we have hunted a couple other mostly private units. We were lucky to get permission to trespass a couple times. My buddy speaks Spanish and was able to get a ranch hand to let us through a gate for a day and this little old lady was just nice. Most ranches are leased to an outfitter, you'll hear that a lot, and many don't like you. Don't let them see your license plate, especially one from your state. Other times we were able to secure permits to hunt private land in the AccessYes Hunter Management Area program. Look into that. Unit 15 has one so you should do your research and apply for that draw. Some HMAs limit the number of permits. Unit 15 also has two walk-in areas you could try. I took a buck off a walk-in area one one year. Be prepared to pack-out the animal. Antelope are small but you may be in a mile or more. I would also not hunt the first week and never opening day.

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
Thank you both as always for your help. I will begin reaching out to Wardens / Biologist and hope for the best. Broz, when you say “honey hole”, are you referring to all of the land locked BLM land?
Nick

Yes, or a private access that will allow you to hunt for a trespass fee

BackCountryMeats

Reaction score
Yes, or a private access that will allow you to hunt for a trespass fee

Understood, I have made quite a few phone calls so far, have not gotten any encouraging responses as of yet. I was hung up on once. Will keep trying!

BackCountryMeats

Reaction score
Congrats to your wife but don't head to Vegas just yet, that unit is just about a guaranteed draw. I've not hunted there before but we have hunted a couple other mostly private units. We were lucky to get permission to trespass a couple times. My buddy speaks Spanish and was able to get a ranch hand to let us through a gate for a day and this little old lady was just nice. Most ranches are leased to an outfitter, you'll hear that a lot, and many don't like you. Don't let them see your license plate, especially one from your state. Other times we were able to secure permits to hunt private land in the AccessYes Hunter Management Area program. Look into that. Unit 15 has one so you should do your research and apply for that draw. Some HMAs limit the number of permits. Unit 15 also has two walk-in areas you could try. I took a buck off a walk-in area one one year. Be prepared to pack-out the animal. Antelope are small but you may be in a mile or more. I would also not hunt the first week and never opening day.

Thank you for the reply. Yes, we understand it’s as close to a guarantee draw as you could get. I am just hoping to put something together for her. She has never been to Yellowstone either so we will spend some time there during the trip. I will start calling outfitters tomorrow hoping to find “something” that may work. More then happy paying to make this a memorable trip for her.

Triple BB

Reaction score
Might at least look at resident draw odds before you apply for an area if you're not researching it first. There's a reason that area has 100% resident draw odds with your third choice...

JoshHaker

Reaction score
Good luck on your hunt Nick! If you have never hunted antelope you are in for a good time. They are probably my favorite to hunt and eat! Last year driving through Wyoming on our way to Montana we counted 485 antelope and 20 something deer. Work hard on your access prior to going. You have received some good advice above. If you are after a larger than average buck then a spotting scope would be necessary. Make sure to gut it fast and don't wait, to ensure high meat quality.

220yotekiller

Reaction score
When you come out be sure to bring a set of knee pads and leather gloves, odds are that you will likely wind up crawling through cactus or some other unfriendly plant, ask me how I know.

Forum Sponsors