Which barrel cooler is the best?

rfurman24

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Over the next few months I will be comparing a few of the barrel coolers on the market. This one should be a pretty simple test but feel free to ask any questions. In this comparison the heat transfer rate will be directly related to the mass air flow rate since the cooling medium(ambient air) and the barrel will be the same. We do not need to actually check temperature changes because of this. The cooler that moves the most air down the barrel will be the cooler that removes the most heat. I will try to check some temperature changes just to get a feel for how effective the best one actually is. I plan on testing...
Riflekuhl Barrel Cooler – MagnetoSpeed
BarrelCool | Shooting accessories for accuracy, reloading, and hunting.
Chamber Chiller - BETA-60 AA Chamber Chiller Version 3 2019
The Original Gun Barrel Cooler | Area 1 Sports

EDIT 6/24/20 to add review link. Rifle Barrel Cooler Performance Flow Test and Comparison

Yoteklr

Reaction score
I use a Coleman rechargeable mattress pump and flex tubing...$25. The pump lasts for about three years. One charge is good for about 40 shots.
Screenshot_20200623-200232_Photos.jpg

Brendan

Reaction score
I have one of the "Original Barrel Coolers" - I guess I got lucky picking that one. One thing I've noticed though is the battery compartment is a little finicky. I have a hard time fitting some of the rechargeable AA's I have in there, and sometimes they don't seat 100%.

Also, the hose I have came with a little orange "Chamber Flag" for use at the range. That's required where I shoot if it makes a difference to you.

RBanta66

Reaction score
Great comparison of available products. Definitely got my wheels turning as I've never used any kind of barrel cooler or cooling method other than time between shots. That being said I already have everything needed. Might give it a try next range session definitely hot enough around here.

Brendan

Reaction score
Problem with that is then you need to buy D cells, and potentially a charger which evens out the cost. I don't have anything that uses them anymore, don't have any in the house, and sure as heck don't want to buy a charger and a bunch of rechargeable ones.

I'm already good to go with AA's in that regard, so don't even have to buy batteries to keep it running and have multiple sets of spares.

It definitely moves more air, but not practical for me.

lbirch

Reaction score
I wanted to add some additional numbers that I think are important. I'm not going to get into the calculations for the heat transfer rate through the barrel radius. That requires differential calculus and I would say as Ryan did in his very well put video that there are too many variables.

Air flow rate which is the volumetric flow rate of the air is one of the more important numbers and is referred to as cfm in the HVAC industry. I took the velocity numbers Ryan measured in the video with the 5 different options and took them a bit further. The more interesting number to me is the air change rate. This is the number of times the air in the barrel, in this case, will be removed and replaced in a certain amount of time. I listed air changes per minute because that's the time period we're usually waiting...minutes. I didn't calculate the cooling time for reasons stated above but that's what everyone wants to know, right?. Well, I think that would be everyone's homework and is better researched experimentally anyway.

The clear winner here is the Coleman Quickpump with over 14 air changes per minute and 4x more air changes than the Riflekuhl. When dealing with warm ambient air, the more the better.

lbirch

Reaction score
I still like the Riflekuhl even though it may take double or more time. The magnet helps keep it in place when I stand the rifle up in the shade of the nearby tree or against the tire of my truck while I make notes in my logbook or check out the target. Double the airflow would be nice though, 4x even better. I'll look into getting a 2nd device.

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
Size, weight, and battery size and life mean something to me for my needs. If shooting a match, I dont want to have to pull a wagon for my barrel cooler. Jokes aside, I like the Magneto speed barrel cooler we know it works and fits in a shirt pocket, and I am still on the first set of Batteries. Not the fastest, but made a big difference when used between stages and while waiting for our squad to shoot.

Papa Charlie

Reaction score
Over the next few months I will be comparing a few of the barrel coolers on the market. This one should be a pretty simple test but feel free to ask any questions. In this comparison the heat transfer rate will be directly related to the mass air flow rate since the cooling medium(ambient air) and the barrel will be the same. We do not need to actually check temperature changes because of this. The cooler that moves the most air down the barrel will be the cooler that removes the most heat. I will try to check some temperature changes just to get a feel for how effective the best one actually is. I plan on testing...
Riflekuhl Barrel Cooler – MagnetoSpeed
BarrelCool | Shooting accessories for accuracy, reloading, and hunting.
Chamber Chiller - BETA-60 AA Chamber Chiller Version 3 2019
The Original Gun Barrel Cooler | Area 1 Sports

EDIT 6/24/20 to add review link. Rifle Barrel Cooler Performance Flow Test and Comparison
Ryan,
Nicely done report. I am glad to see that you kept the information to the facts and appreciate the information.

I like the more aggressive air flow but not the size and at my range the need for a flag is essential. The MS, even though lower in air volume moved, seems like a great option with the magnet. I have trouble keeping the flag in my rifle sometimes.

I wanted to add some additional numbers that I think are important. I'm not going to get into the calculations for the heat transfer rate through the barrel radius. That requires differential calculus and I would say as Ryan did in his very well put video that there are too many variables.

Air flow rate which is the volumetric flow rate of the air is one of the more important numbers and is referred to as cfm in the HVAC industry. I took the velocity numbers Ryan measured in the video with the 5 different options and took them a bit further. The more interesting number to me is the air change rate. This is the number of times the air in the barrel, in this case, will be removed and replaced in a certain amount of time. I listed air changes per minute because that's the time period we're usually waiting...minutes. I didn't calculate the cooling time for reasons stated above but that's what everyone wants to know, right?. Well, I think that would be everyone's homework and is better researched experimentally anyway.

The clear winner here is the Coleman Quickpump with over 14 air changes per minute and 4x more air changes than the Riflekuhl. When dealing with warm ambient air, the more the better.
Thank you for putting this together. I like data.

J2shooter

Reaction score
Planning on heading to the range in the morning and I'll try to get a little cool time data while I'm at it. Maybe it'll be somewhat useful information even though it'll be specific to one rifle/barrel/caliber and and there's an infinite number of variables.

Plan is to keep it really simple.
*5 round string.
*Start the timer once the barrel Temp levels out on the stick on thermometer.
*Stop the timer once the barrel temp comes back down to +/- 5° outside temp
*5 more, start timer and barrel cool when temp tops out.
*Stop timer when it gets down to +/- 5 outside temp

I helped the stick on thermometer with a wrap of clear packing tape...I doubt it would stay by itself and others have mentioned trouble with that as well.

Attachments

J2shooter

Reaction score
So the barrel cool device knocked approximately 5 minutes off the cool time.

I started and stopped the stop watch as close as my eyes could tell that the temp strip was at about he same point for both five round strings.

Took 23 minutes to cool down without barrel cool and 18 to cool down on the next round with the barrel cool in.

It'll work fine for my needs. I have to run an empty chamber flag anyway so I'm satisfied with it.

Edit:
270 Win
58.1 4831SC
129 LRX
Avg velocity 2960

Attachments

Last edited:

Blobby159

Reaction score
Well done "J2shooter"... Nicely managed, but which barrel cooler are you actually testing there please?
I have a 'Coleman Rechargeable Quickpump' and it fairly whacks the air out and down my hot rifle barrel so it does cool that off quite quickly...

It is a moderately heavy, external lump with a built-in, rechargeable lead acid battery and it was initially designed for quickly blowing up inflatables like temporary overnight mattresses & beach lilos etc so it certainly has the oomph!! It is a trifle noisy too, but it does the barrel cooling job with aplomb - which is why I bought it in the first place so I am happy as Larry!.....

It helps immensely when I am on the range with trial loads - which is often - and I need ALL my time to shoot lotsa rounds and register the results, NOT sit about for literally hours waiting for my Tikka's heavy barrel to cool down again for the next string of shots.

The barrel of my home loaded 6.5 Swede heats up initially with perhaps a string of just 10 to 15 shots. Then, like many here reading this I am sure, I have noted that WITHOUT any forced air down it, it takes maybe 20->30 mins to cool down to just warm to the touch. It then needs but the next 5->8 or so rounds to get it sizzling hot..... AGAIN!! Then it is a repeating process of firing a short string of 5->8 shots followed by a much longer spell of (unproductive) time out to let the barrel cool back down again.... etc. etc. etc.!! A Highly Frustratingly and thoroughly ANNOYING WASTE of One's Valuable Range-time!!! This barrel cooler has been a Godsend to my load experimentation and stops me getting all hot 'n bothered and loosing off inaccurate snap shots whilst I am trying to get a full test completed, when really I should be taking my TIME and ONLY letting shots go when I am completely happy that I have the required perfect sight picture, NOT rushing cos I have wasted soooo much time waiting for my darned barrel to cool down ..... repeatedly!!!!!

If you are doing a comparator test of various coolers 'J2shooter' include an example of the one I have bought and use and I recon it will trounce all the clever little, purposely designed barrel cooler examples, by a fair margin too!..

Good luck and ATVB to you in this endeavour,
Blobbs....

J2shooter

Reaction score
Well done "J2shooter"... Nicely managed, but which barrel cooler are you actually testing there please?
I have a 'Coleman Rechargeable Quickpump' and it fairly whacks the air out and down my hot rifle barrel so it does cool that off quite quickly...

It is a moderately heavy, external lump with a built-in, rechargeable lead acid battery and it was initially designed for quickly blowing up inflatables like temporary overnight mattresses & beach lilos etc so it certainly has the oomph!! It is a trifle noisy too, but it does the barrel cooling job with aplomb - which is why I bought it in the first place so I am happy as Larry!.....

It helps immensely when I am on the range with trial loads - which is often - and I need ALL my time to shoot lotsa rounds and register the results, NOT sit about for literally hours waiting for my Tikka's heavy barrel to cool down again for the next string of shots.

The barrel of my home loaded 6.5 Swede heats up initially with perhaps a string of just 10 to 15 shots. Then, like many here reading this I am sure, I have noted that WITHOUT any forced air down it, it takes maybe 20->30 mins to cool down to just warm to the touch. It then needs but the next 5->8 or so rounds to get it sizzling hot..... AGAIN!! Then it is a repeating process of firing a short string of 5->8 shots followed by a much longer spell of (unproductive) time out to let the barrel cool back down again.... etc. etc. etc.!! A Highly Frustratingly and thoroughly ANNOYING WASTE of One's Valuable Range-time!!! This barrel cooler has been a Godsend to my load experimentation and stops me getting all hot 'n bothered and loosing off inaccurate snap shots whilst I am trying to get a full test completed, when really I should be taking my TIME and ONLY letting shots go when I am completely happy that I have the required perfect sight picture, NOT rushing cos I have wasted soooo much time waiting for my darned barrel to cool down ..... repeatedly!!!!!

If you are doing a comparator test of various coolers 'J2shooter' include an example of the one I have bought and use and I recon it will trounce all the clever little, purposely designed barrel cooler examples, by a fair margin too!..

Good luck and ATVB to you in this endeavour,
Blobbs....
Rfurman24 did a thorough comparison of several, including the Coleman mattress pump. It did outperform all the others in the quantity of air moved category .

Run up to the top of the thread here and check out his video.

The one I'm using is in rfurman24s review. It is called the barrel cool. Pretty sure it moves the least amount of air of all the ones he tested

Blobby159

Reaction score
Rfurman24 did a thorough comparison of several, including the Coleman mattress pump. It did outperform all the others in the quantity of air moved category .

Run up to the top of the thread here and check out his video.

The one I'm using is in rfurman24s review. It is called the barrel cool. Pretty sure it moves the least amount of air of all the ones he tested
Ha! That will teach me to check out the previous posts right to the top and not just skim read a few of the immediate ones!!.. Thank you 'J2shooter'... You are right too, the testing 'rfurman24' did IS quite comprehensive for the models in his trial that included 'my' Coleman mattress pump.... Like I mentioned in my short(?) critique it is a noisy, heavy critter but does the barrel cooling task with aplomb...
ATVB,
Blobby...

ATB ..... and shoot safely

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum Sponsors