What's your favorite tent?

FURMAN

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
I have used quit a few and the Tarptent Moment has been my favorite. I recently upgraded to the Moment DW and it is in fact a huge upgrade. I plan on doing a review on it when I find the time. What are you guys using and why?
PQcKObOl.jpg

FURMAN

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
LOL! I would love to have a wall tent on every hunt.

Ladd

Reaction score
I love a warm tent. When I have the truck nearby I use my Springbar. Sorry, no pictures. I was going to on the last buffalo hunt but I forgot.

When I backpack I take my 2 person Kuiu Mtn Star. It is very light in the pack. I went with the carbon fiber poles. It’s tight for 2 but we managed for a week. It’s perfect for one plus gear.
29e6c6a5bc2f1d103dbb5d1d980fb3ce.jpg
2a2ff4a2ae356c3b84004f03b4401455.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

youngbuck

Reaction score
I have a Nemo dagger 3p that I like for 2 people. I also have a Big Agnes copper spur hvul1 I really like for just me in AZ. I used a Hilleberg akto in Kodiak. I like it, but it's heavy for AZ. The Kuiu mountain stars are very nice, but tight for 2. I may get one for worse weather. I'm looking at the Seek Redcliff. I'd really like to try a light tipi style with stove for later season stuff.

jmden

Reaction score
TarpTent Rainbow for early to mid season.... Mine is less than 2 lbs with six DAC 7075-T6 aluminum stakes (don't like the one at the time that TT sent with tent--don't hold well and are bulky--he will ship the tents without stakes last I checked), has a large living space with 40" x 88" floor, which is the largest 1 man tent floor space I have found by a fair amount. I can get all my gear (pack, rifle, boots inside if need be. I will base camp for a day or two or more from it and use my trekking poles when away from the tent and it's weight includes the pole making it the lightest, largest 1 man tent out there that includes the pole weight. Is it single wall? Sure. However, it is large enough that this is rarely an issue in terms of brushing up against the wall. You are certainly not 'cocooned' inside it like many (or most) one man tents. It is quite comfortable for several days stay. Is there moisture build up? Of course. Easy to deal with--I have a .5 oz piece of chamois cloth that suck up moisture like no tomorrow and is a very lightweight, effective way to deal with moisture buildup, but it's usually not that big a deal to begin with. I've sewn 'struts' into the two top vents to make them stay open fully and the tent has plenty of good ventilation. Have spent many nights in it waking up to little or no moisture inside. I also simply do not want to go for less than a 30d silnylon wall/outerwall. 30d silnylon is amazingly strong. The silicone coating actually adds strength to the nylon whereas poly coating reduces the strength (tear strength) of nylon. We are starting to get into fabrics now too that too lightweight and the durability is questionable at best. Kinda the NF vs. other lighter scopes argument, but 30d silnylon is very lightweight already. And the price for these is quite reasonable. I am always looking at the latest offerings for 1 man tents and carefully scrutinizing them. I've stayed with the Rainbow for 7 years...

Late season: I use my own designed and manufactured WildSide Systems TipiTents, of which there are 3 sizes. They are the only tipi style tents on the market that utilize a full floor, full inner wall (makes things much warmer if that's what you need), a huge amount of adjustable ventilation at the peaks, are designed to take the excellent Seek Outside titanium box stoves, the damper of which basically lets you choose what temperature you want your tent at, and the floor and inner wall can be removed from the tipitent in a couple of minutes, turning it into a super lightweight floorless shelter, if desired. So it can be what you need it to be, given the adventure at hand. (I am not a fan of the few small ounces you save with these barrel/round style stoves. Having a flat top stove is huge for more effective cooking. SO has an adaptation for it's box stoves now that kinda makes them a hybrid, but still has a flat top while reducing weight. Worth looking into.)

DRUSS

Reaction score
For the late hunts and a group I like my kwik camp 14x16 wall tent. The space and a stove to dry things out while waiting out a big storm is nice. If solo or only short trips I got a kodiak canvas spring bar type this year and really liked it. Easy setup, held off the wind well. No snow or big rain test yet though. My backing tent is a marmot 2 man which I appreciate the space for my gear and cooking space. But it is old and in need of a upgrade coming in at 4.8#.

DRUSS

Reaction score
Tried adding pics by attaching file option but files to large keeps popping up

Ladd

Reaction score
Yes you will need to reduce pic sizes down from full size. I use document size and it works great

The reason I use Tapatalk for pictures. Hands-free file size operation.

WiscGunner

Reaction score
I just got into floorless shelters. Picked up a Seek outside Cimarron last fall. Used it on acfew trips so far, including a caribou hunt in Alaska. Super light weight McMansion for 1 but good for 2 with stove.

Love the flexibility of using a nest if I want (1/2 or full) which is particularly helpful in tick season. Pitch it high in warm weather for great cross breeze, pitch it low in the cold. Much easier to find spots to fit it than a traditional tent because the ground and small obstructions are no issue like they would be in a traditional tent with a fixed floor. Fast to set up with only one pole (optional).
8DA8106F-06AA-432A-AE8B-C80073297658.jpeg
BBBB3B7F-0AF6-4D64-8DB0-7C46A7401E07.jpeg
Using the stove in cold weather is a point of no return for me. Being able to roll over in your sleeping bag and light a fire in the morning or fire one up before getting out of your layers at night sure seems to make the rest of my day go so much nicer.

29978436-9C87-4453-95A6-DD5806A31AB5.jpeg

Also easy to add on a tarp for additional space in wet weather or excess sun.
1AA32626-9CBF-4DCD-94CB-4B870340299B.jpeg

Sheepaholic

Reaction score
I will be ordering a kifaru sawtooth to try this year in Northern British Columbia for sheep, goat, elk, and moose from early August into October will probably add a seek outside medium uturn or box ti stove.

Ladd

Reaction score
I just got into floorless shelters. Picked up a Seek outside Cimarron last fall. Used it on acfew trips so far, including a caribou hunt in Alaska. Super light weight McMansion for 1 but good for 2 with stove.

Love the flexibility of using a nest if I want (1/2 or full) which is particularly helpful in tick season. Pitch it high in warm weather for great cross breeze, pitch it low in the cold. Much easier to find spots to fit it than a traditional tent because the ground and small obstructions are no issue like they would be in a traditional tent with a fixed floor. Fast to set up with only one pole (optional).
View attachment 4363
View attachment 4364
Using the stove in cold weather is a point of no return for me. Being able to roll over in your sleeping bag and light a fire in the morning or fire one up before getting out of your layers at night sure seems to make the rest of my day go so much nicer.

View attachment 4365

Also easy to add on a tarp for additional space in wet weather or excess sun.
View attachment 4366
That looks nice and warm.

MontanaMarine

Reaction score
Over the last few years, we've sold off our 12x14 wall tent, Cabelas Alaskan Guide tent, and Trango-2.

They've all been replaced with Seek Outside shelters. I love 'em. So simple to handle, and set up. One pole, and zero guylines. And they ride the wind very well.

The 12-man tipi is home away from home, or even a quick day shelter from wind.

46WrODJ.jpg

7Oz0kI1.jpg

NO1dPvK.jpg

The 6-man tipi is about 6 lbs all up, under 10 with the woodstove. Packable, but easy shelter by the truck also.

qtMTrv0.jpg

XwtWUsW.jpg

Silvertip is small, light, and very wind worthy. About 3 lbs all up. Easy to take along, even in a daypack.

sm8gGac.jpg

XV2sDdD.jpg

Last edited:

ABC1000

Reaction score
I have used quit a few and the Tarptent Moment has been my favorite. I recently upgraded to the Moment DW and it is in fact a huge upgrade. I plan on doing a review on it when I find the time. What are you guys using and why?
PQcKObOl.jpg
We

ABC1000

Reaction score
I do mostly backpack hunting (solo as well) so that’s my tents I run. I run the three Kuiu tents I think called storm star 2p, mountain star 2p and their other one that’s 2.5p and can be used with just the tarp or together with screen, foot print and my trekking poles. Why you ask? Because I am addicted to Kuiu in a bad way. I’ve overhauled all my hunting clothing and packs over the last two years. I’ve heard a lot about Hilleberg but Kuiu’s have taken care of me and are very lightweight and sturdy at a little lower price point. I like the one that’s modular as I stuff that in my pack when I’m not planning on it or if I’m glassing in a lot of weather. All three are really good setups.
Aaron

Ladd

Reaction score
Over the last few years, we've sold off our 12x14 wall tent, Cabelas Alaskan Guide tent, and Trango-2.

They've all been replaced with Seek Outside shelters. I love 'em. So simple to handle, and set up. One pole, and zero guylines. And they ride the wind very well.

The 12-man tipi is home away from home, or even a quick day shelter from wind.

46WrODJ.jpg

7Oz0kI1.jpg

NO1dPvK.jpg

The 6-man tipi is about 6 lbs all up, under 10 with the woodstove. Packable, but easy shelter by the truck also.

qtMTrv0.jpg

XwtWUsW.jpg

Silvertip is small, light, and very wind worthy. About 3 lbs all up. Easy to take along, even in a daypack.

sm8gGac.jpg

XV2sDdD.jpg

Cool pics. They almost sell Tipi by themselves.

MTN Wonderer

Reaction score
Late season: I use my own designed and manufactured WildSide Systems TipiTents, of which there are 3 sizes. They are the only tipi style tents on the market that utilize a full floor, full inner wall (makes things much warmer if that's what you need), a huge amount of adjustable ventilation at the peaks, are designed to take the excellent Seek Outside titanium box stoves, the damper of which basically lets you choose what temperature you want your tent at, and the floor and inner wall can be removed from the tipitent in a couple of minutes, turning it into a super lightweight floorless shelter, if desired. So it can be what you need it to be, given the adventure at hand. (I am not a fan of the few small ounces you save with these barrel/round style stoves. Having a flat top stove is huge for more effective cooking. SO has an adaptation for it's box stoves now that kinda makes them a hybrid, but still has a flat top while reducing weight. Worth looking into.)

This sounds very interesting. You make these?

jmden

Reaction score
Yes, but I don't advertise here, or anywhere, so don't know that I can talk much more about them. I make just a very few every year during the winter-ish months only (time to play and hunt in summer and fall...). Don't make much money doing it, just believe in the design, although they are expensive compared to other 'similar' designs as you are basically making two tents in one with the integral but removable inner wall with watertight floor (40+ hours of labor).

J300UM

Reaction score
Last season I switched from a Big Agnes Rattlesnake 1p to a TarpTent Double Rainbow. Dropped 12oz off my total pack weight and, compared to the BA, it's a mansion for 1 person! I've been looking into a hot tent setup for later season hunts. I'm eyeballing the Seek Outside Cimmaron with one of there titanium stoves.

jmden

Reaction score
Last season I switched from a Big Agnes Rattlesnake 1p to a TarpTent Double Rainbow. Dropped 12oz off my total pack weight and, compared to the BA, it's a mansion for 1 person! I've been looking into a hot tent setup for later season hunts. I'm eyeballing the Seek Outside Cimmaron with one of there titanium stoves.

Another great idea. The Double Rainbow is not much more weight at all than the 'single' Rainbow and has two side entry doors. Had one and sold it and still kick myself sometimes... The single Rainbow is just enough smaller than I can fit it in spot where I have to cut out a tent platform, etc., in rough, steep country.

Ecoastdg

Reaction score
I’ve been using a Marmot Tungsten the last few years. I’ve been caught in a snow storm and 2 hellacious thunderstorms and have been impressed on how well it held up. It even survived me finding a chipmunk in the foot of my sleeping bag.

DropTines

Reaction score
Favorite tent depends on the hunt which usually is backpacking in.

Early solo - MSR 1P Hubba NXS
Mid solo or early 2 person - Kuiu Mountain Star
Late - just bought a Cimarron and stove. Used it last weekend for the first time. So we’ll see how that goes.

ad60ee15ebe4e501356474afdc08cc44.jpg

NWbackcountry

Reaction score
I usually run a seek outside 4 person tipi with a medium stove or a kifaru sawtooth.

Litehiker

Reaction score
I'm with Rfurman. I LOVE my Tarptent Moment DW. A great 4 season tent and, when guyed out on both sides and both ends it has withstood steady 40 mph wind with gusts to 60 mph (US Weather Service stats).

One vestibule is for boots and pack, the other for cooking if the weather is too foul for outdoor cooking. Plenty of room inside for me and my scoped rifle.

My 2 person tent is another Tarptent, the SCARP 2. In a pinch 3 can sleep comfortably in it head-to-toe but no room for gear. Again, like the Moment DW, 2 doors and 2 vestibules.

**Rfurman, I got a Crossing Pole, shortened it 6 inches and ran it under the fly for better support in heavy snow. Works great for that purpose.

BTW, all Tarptents are "Made in USA".

Eric B.

Brendan

Reaction score
If I could only pick one for everything, 100% my Kifaru Sawtooth with stove (stove optional based on the weather).

cmorsch

Reaction score
I really like my 14x16 Davis Wall tent when I am not worried about weight and I can get my truck or SxS to my camping area.

KellyDe

Reaction score
Kodiak Canvas Swag Tent.png
If you go car camping and don't mind spending extra $200-300, a canvas tent will work the best.
This is my 1-person Kodiak Swag Tent https://wildproofgear.com/best-canvas-tents/
This is by far the best option for ground tent.
Love how canvas tents perform, takes no time to set it up. If you change campsites every day with your vehicle, this is the tent to get.

NC_Surveyor

Reaction score
PQcKObOl.jpg

Exactly what I have been looking for. The floor on my NF starlight extreme finally gave up the ghost. Getting one of these.

Forum Sponsors