What is the lightest and easiest Bow to shoot?

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
That may not be even possible to use "Light" and "easy to shoot" in the same question? But with shoulders that need work I want to try a lighter bow.

For you Hoyt fans, is there a recent production carbon bow that I should be looking at? I have little interest in anything more than a couple years old, and would also consider new. But what would you suggest I take a look at?

Jeff

Brendan

Reaction score
Jeff - What's your draw length, or if unknown, how tall are you? If a taller guy, you want to consider a bow with a longer axle-to-axle. Gives you a better string angle, allows you more flexibility on where you anchor, and in general will be more accurate. For me - I use a handheld release, and anchoring further forward on my jaw is easier on my draw shoulder which I have issues with.

Another thing to consider: a bow that's more easy on the shoulders will probably have more to do with an easier draw cycle (a less aggressive cam that ramps up to peak draw weight slower, and then transitions into the valley with less of a "hump and dump"), a generous valley with a high letoff, and not overdoing it on draw weight as opposed to the mass weight of the bow. General rule of thumb - the slower the rating of the bow, the easier the draw.

I've been a Hoyt fan, owned several models, and am shooting an RX1 Ultra right now that I like(35" axle to axle). From what I heard, the RX3 series wasn't a huge improvement, and some bows had an issue with the sight mount on the carbon riser. If your draw length is 28" or longer, I would consider an RX1 Ultra with the #3 Cam. Carbon, and the #3 will give you a smoother draw than the #2 cam at the expense of speed. If you want to go newer, the RX4 is an option, initial reviews look good

Broz

Reaction score
I am 6'2" and long armed draw will be about 29 ~29.5" I only shoot 65 lbs and draw it easily. But arms extended holding the weight can add with the shoulder pain. My PRIME CT 5 is a very smooth draw, and I shoot it well. But with the double cams and lack of carbon I just felt I want to try something lighter. Maybe it wont even help, but I am always looking to improve.

Brendan

Reaction score
2018 RX1 Ultra with the #3 cam is worth a shot.

Will adjust to your draw length, and won't lose your shirt being a couple years old. You Might be able to find it new old stock too...

Brendan

Reaction score
Also, for what it's worth, I am 5'11" and shoot a 29" draw. At your height and with long arms, there's a chance you could go longer, but hard to tell without seeing form/pictures.

Brendan

Reaction score
I shoot a wrist trigger release too
Release and D-loop don't impact draw length (or, shouldn't anyways). They are used to set your most comfortable and repeatable anchor point after settling on a draw length. (DL = The length from deepest part of your grip to the inside of the string at full draw, plus 1.75")

What I do is set draw length such that the string comes to the tip of my nose at full draw with good form, but not past that. That gives you a good reference point without giving too much facial pressure which can make you less consistent...

Brendan

Reaction score
You could also look at the PSE Carbon Air Stealth line of bows. Probably the Carbon Air Stealth 35 EC?

Haven't used it myself, but the cam system gets good reviews and it is light and carbon...

Pmichael

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it is made any longer but for adjustability in draw weight as well as small stature. I.E. axle to axle length. The Mission Craze is a very decent compound for the $$

DropTines

Reaction score
I currently have an RX1 and RX3 turbo and an older aluminum Spyder. I do like the carbons although I wish they were sleek like the aluminums for carrying and stocking purposes. So +1 on the carbon train.

On my carbon bows I’ve noticed I’m most consistent with a 10-12 inch stab with 4-5 oz upfront. Comparing those to my aluminum with 6-8 inch stab with 3-4 oz. My theory or opinion is that with carbon bows you add weight to be more consistent negating the ounce savings. Again that’s just my opinion. But that weight is optional and does not have to be added.

Just out of curiosity, is it should pain like an impingement feeling when at full draw. I experienced should pain due to improper positioning of my shoulder. I’d found a video, I believe by Nock On, and since then the pain has gone away. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broz

Reaction score
I currently have an RX1 and RX3 turbo and an older aluminum Spyder. I do like the carbons although I wish they were sleek like the aluminums for carrying and stocking purposes. So +1 on the carbon train.

On my carbon bows I’ve noticed I’m most consistent with a 10-12 inch stab with 4-5 oz upfront. Comparing those to my aluminum with 6-8 inch stab with 3-4 oz. My theory or opinion is that with carbon bows you add weight to be more consistent negating the ounce savings. Again that’s just my opinion. But that weight is optional and does not have to be added.

Just out of curiosity, is it should pain like an impingement feeling when at full draw. I experienced should pain due to improper positioning of my shoulder. I’d found a video, I believe by Nock On, and since then the pain has gone away. Just a thought.

You are following my drift. Just as in racing, we often added weight for stagger or weight transfer purposes. I as a driver, lost personal weight so we could add that weight back to the car where it was more useful and still keep total weight to the minimum. So in the end a more adjustable weight ratio.

My shoulders are injuries. Both have torn rotator muscles, and I am dealing with it rather than surgery.

Jeff

DropTines

Reaction score
So I am watching for the RX1 in Carbon with #3 cams, but may also look at newer offerings.

If new is not out of the question, the RX4 impresses me the most over the two I own.

280rem

Reaction score
Look at the Oneida bows... you can get them from Oneida Eagle Bows or Bass Pro has more expensive versions. I started bowhunting in the 70s... with a recurve. Shot about every make of compound out there since. Not all models, but many. The Oneidas will allow you to draw about 15 lbs more than a conventional compound. The easiest drawing bow ever made. If anybody says different, they have not drawn one, period. They are different, for sure. My brother and I shot them for over 20 years. I went back to traditional recurves for no other reason than the romance of it and competed a lot with them. I still get the urge to buy another Oneida though.

J300UM

Reaction score
My right rotator is torn. In fact, I was scheduled for surgery Wednesday but had to postpone it. I tore my rotator last August and was really struggling to shoot my Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo. I picked up a Mathews Vertix and it was a night and day difference. The bow is a little heavier but the draw cycle was so much nicer than my Hoyt.

CCooper

Reaction score
Another vote for the RX-1. Draws easier and smoother @ 72lb than my Mathews ever did at 67. Balances really nice with a 10” stabilizer. I have a shorter draw, 27” but prefer the forgiveness of a little longer ata bow for those long range shots. Couldn’t get on board with the shorter ata RX-3. Prefer the longer dovetail sights for long range in a single pin, such as the Hogg father. I would call Wayne at the bow rack in Springfield, OR. (ORarcher on R/L) the guy is an absolute authority on all things archery. Will answer all your questions - guys from all Over the Us send their bows to him for tuning.

Benny1975

Reaction score
I've had every speed bow on the market. Also have owned the smoothest comfortable bows out there from very bow producer. This is where I have landed. I'm a 29 1/2 draw. The apa 33 is by far the fastest and smoothest bow I've owned. They are simple to tune, light, slim. If u want the best give apa a serious look

muleystalker

Reaction score
Look at the Oneida bows... you can get them from Oneida Eagle Bows or Bass Pro has more expensive versions. I started bowhunting in the 70s... with a recurve. Shot about every make of compound out there since. Not all models, but many. The Oneidas will allow you to draw about 15 lbs more than a conventional compound. The easiest drawing bow ever made. If anybody says different, they have not drawn one, period. They are different, for sure. My brother and I shot them for over 20 years. I went back to traditional recurves for no other reason than the romance of it and competed a lot with them. I still get the urge to buy another Oneida though.
I am in the same camp as 280rem, his statement is pretty much my experience. I have owned over 30 compounds, 6 before I ever picked up what I used to call an "abomination of a bow". I was making fun of my buddy, who owned an archery shop, because he went to the dark side and started shooting one of those ugly bows. He told me I know Dave, but a guy at the last shoot just urged me to try it as I was giving him a bad time and as soon as I drew it back it was like everything made sense. He talked me into shooting his bow right then and there and the same thing happened to me, it was like the whole universe just made sense, it was so smooth and fluid, like drawing a recurve. And the way its made even with a short overall length it is more forgiving on string angle at draw. I have owned 3 Oneida's since then and at least 24 other compound bows and have sold every compound since and keep going back to my 30 year old Oneida AREO FORCE, LOL. I am going to get a new one next week since I have a enough Cabelas/BassPro points to pay for it outright and they have nothing else I can use. I can shoot other bows just fine but they just don't feel fluid and natural like the Oneida, its like its second nature.

DRUSS

Reaction score
I shot a PSE carbon stealth mach 1 recently and really appreciated its draw cycle. It is light and a concern for shoot ability but I liked how it felt in the hand and it shot well for me in a shop. I did place an order for one.

ddiwd

Banned
Reaction score
With a lighter bow comes more noise and vibrations it's not as solid when the string comes to a stop
Might be why they all been going to that 4lbs sweet spot just fine you a all carbon bow should be a fair bit lighter

RBanta66

Reaction score
Another light bow option is the Bowtech Carbon Icon, but bows are like anything else personal preference. Coming in late on this thread I saw questions about draw length. Here is what I've seen used to measure one's draw length. Stick your arms out making a T, get this measurement fingertip to finger tip then divide by 2.5 example 76÷2.5=30.4.... Heck I'm still shooting my Bowtech Insanity CPX IBO 355fps. Archery has been at a plateau for several years but it's always cool to see these new products. Now when it comes to accessories there are some really great options that have come out in the last few years. As far as the previous post about vibration, from what I've witnessed most guys shoot to light of arrow chasing speed. You can really get that vibration down with heavier arrows.

mfelllows

Reaction score
Check out PSE carbon air.John Dudley made the change from Hoyt to PSE their cams have a smoother draw cycle longer valley and don't want to jump. I shoot Obsession now but have shot all of them. I had same surgery 2 years ago and I am 51 couldn't shoot for 6 months and jumped right back and pull 66lbs.You can get really good deals on last year models of all manufactures but I would stay away from Bowtech carbon they just lost a copywrite infringement case to Mathews don't know where the company is heading. Good luck

Forum Sponsors