What Happened To The Anti-Long Range Crowd?

Sam Millard

Reaction score
Haven't heard from them in awhile. Am I just out of the loop, or what?

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
I haven't read any from the rags or the elitist Orgs for a while. I think they found new sources for drama and division. At least for now.

Maybe , just maybe , with education of the subject some realized what we do, when done to the standards we hold, is make more clean kills with precision placement of our bullets?

Jeff

Sam Millard

Reaction score
I haven't read any from the rags or the elitist Orgs for a while. I think they found new sources for drama and division. At least for now.

Maybe , just maybe , with education of the subject some realized what we do, when done to the standards we hold, is make more clean kills with precision placement of our bullets?

Jeff

One could certainly hope that's true!

jmden

Reaction score
Wayne Van Zwoll, PhD., in nearly every issue of Bugle, in his 'Rifles and Cartridges' section, makes sideways disparaging comments about long range hunting. I've seen it just recently. I do believe that he is likely one of those at the epicenter of this issue as I believe he is quite influential at both the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation and at the Boone and Crockett Club and has made, and continually does, make his view on this quite clear with very regular sideways swipes in his 'Rifle and Cartridges' column in Bugle.

I wrote RMEF President Allen about this last spring and how that Van Zwoll and those like him are really working, in reality, to divide hunters against each other! My way is best so you should do it my way is what is being said. Creating restriction and regulation out of thin air and doing the antis job for them no less, if you think about it. I didn't get a reply from Mr. Allen, but his next column, I noticed, was essentially about us all working together and not being divided... I also commented in my letter on how in nearly every column, Van Zwoll is hunting on more than one continent for all kinds of critters. The intent of mentioning that being that Van Zwoll seems to have a vastly out-sized hunting opportunity compared to most of the rest of us. That being the case, it may be that he can be more picky with his hunting methods than most of the rest of us. That's fine if he wants. But don't project that thinking on the rest of us.

I think this is one way to combat this ridiculous ideology--that fact that it divides hunters against each other at a time when we need to be hanging together more than ever. That may wake up some hunters to what this kind of thinking does and they may realize there are actually things of importance we should be working towards. And this petty argument is not one of them. Stop with the petty self-indulgent, self-promoting arguments of 'my way is better', work to preserve the hunting heritage we've been given for all Americans, and support legal, responsible hunting. Period.

Last edited:

HARPERC

Reaction score
If you're like me, I quit reading if I see certain writers name at the top. I've slowly whittled down the sources of aggravation. Van Zwoll appears in a couple of magazines that will no longer appear at my house when my subscription lapses.

I have generally bought magazines rather than subscribe just to support stores that stock them. I then would take them to the hospital, and leave them . Done with that. I suppose I should call some of them, informing them of my decision, but don't seem to get around to it.

Ridgerunner665

Reaction score
I've stopped reading them all...

They're all boring these days anyway.

I used to love reading about hunting elk in the Outdoor Life magazines from the mid to late 80's.... The storytelling was so much better then.... Now, everything is a damn advertisement... Its no longer about the hunt, but selling something they're using to hunt.

Advertising has a purpose and a place... But sometimes you just gotta tell a good ole hunting story.

Downeast

Reaction score
I've had a few "friends" comment about my LR shooting...and I'm not really a long range hunter! I have taken a few deer right at 500 yards but only when I was absolutely sure of the shot. No telling how many I let walk before I finally pulled the trigger. What I tell them, and it's a fact, is that when you become comfortable shooting at distance it really makes you a better hunter. I can recall taking shots at deer out at 250-300 yards and literally sweating bullets. Now I am confident and comfortable at those distances because I now routinely shoot at those distances. Most of my friends who deer hunt miss or wound animals at 200 yards or less. Yet B&C and other organizations would consider them ethical? I think not.

Forum Sponsors