Vlog with Ryan

rfurman24

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
I will start this here for now. We will see where this goes. Ask questions here. Give CONSTRUCTIVE feedback. Tell me what you would like to see. This is pretty personal for me so I am not sure how much I will be doing outside of what I am already doing when I am not at work. I will be sharing thoughts on gear I am using, including for reviews. I will be walking you through my processes. Please like the Youtube videos and share with anyone you think may be interested.

#YouTube #vlog #reviews #review

OSOK - Crash

Reaction score
Ryan, as a fairly new shooter to long range, I appreciate listening to your thoughts and how you do things. You explain the reasons why you do what you do, and the equipment you use. I enjoy your content.

Everyone's free time is precious. I personally appreciate the time you take to make reviews and give feedback. I can't get enough content. Guess I got the bug bad.

Either way, please continue, as you have time and drive to do so. We appreciate it.

RBanta66

Reaction score
I'll just follow suit with Dew and say Crash summed it up. You personally give so much to the LRO community trying to help others become better at this passion of long range hunting and shooting, I personally thank you for all your time and effort. So far the vlogs have really explained (as I call it) "the method to your madness" and why you take the steps you do to get the results you expect.
You should feel good about what you're doing helping others, keep up the great content as there are those of us that are watching, soaking it in and learning!!!

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback. This SAUM is being far more difficult than any barrel I have had in the past. Too many things changed at the same time. That is one reason I do not like barrel burners. It was simple to tune when the barrel was fresh. In retrospect I should have re done seating depth testing prior to re-tuning powder.

Ladd

Reaction score
I saw the first vlog before it was mentioned here. I thought it was a nice change to just watch you do your thing with minimal monologue. I know it would be a ton of work but it would be cool to see a split window of your hits at 1000 yards. But hey, it was good. Watched #2 last night and felt the same. I liked seeing where you shoot. I have often wondered about the affect shooting at first light does. Makes me wonder about shooting at elk/deer at first light. And, its good to see I'm not alone so early in the morning.

RBanta66

Reaction score
Just watched your third vlog, your lucky your not here where I live as the soybeans are 2ft plus. On a serious note: great vlog, you are really showing the detail and depth you go into verifying and tweaking a load that you would be confident to hunt game with. I also like the fact that this rifle hasn't made it easy for you and your step by step approach to getting it where you are satisfied. I'm definitely watching and learning! 👍

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
Just watched your third vlog, your lucky your not here where I live as the soybeans are 2ft plus. On a serious note: great vlog, you are really showing the detail and depth you go into verifying and tweaking a load that you would be confident to hunt game with. I also like the fact that this rifle hasn't made it easy for you and your step by step approach to getting it where you are satisfied. I'm definitely watching and learning! 👍
The beans 40 ft to the east are well over 2ft tall. Different farmers, different harvest/plant times. This rifle was crazy easy to tune the first time. After the speed up it is making me work. I would guess I only have another two weeks in that field then I will be relegated to 565 yards again until after harvest.

OSOK - Crash

Reaction score
Just watched your third vlog, your lucky your not here where I live as the soybeans are 2ft plus. On a serious note: great vlog, you are really showing the detail and depth you go into verifying and tweaking a load that you would be confident to hunt game with. I also like the fact that this rifle hasn't made it easy for you and your step by step approach to getting it where you are satisfied. I'm definitely watching and learning!

Same here in Indiana.

I’m guessing from the videos though, that they planted winter wheat and harvested it, and then planted a short maturity cycle soy bean. This way they get two crops. Obviously the yield will be a little lower on the soy beans, but they didn’t loose out on some of the growing season.

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
Same here in Indiana.

I’m guessing from the videos though, that they planted winter wheat and harvested it, and then planted a short maturity cycle soy bean. This way they get two crops. Obviously the yield will be a little lower on the soy beans, but they didn’t loose out on some of the growing season.
Yep.

Jud96

Reaction score
I just wanted to pitch and say great vlogs. I really enjoy the content you put out and I trust the data and information you share. You do a good job of explaining why you use this or that and you show solid data to back up your methods and techniques. Keep up the work 👍

Ladd

Reaction score
I watched Vlog #3 this morning and am wondering how many shots are you into this rifle now? I fire formed 100 pcs of brass for my 30 SMPP then did load development and it tuned in pretty good and didn't have to work around what you are with this. I know your opinion on doing load development right away but would it have made sense on this 6.5 SAUM to wait? I know looking back is always easier but kinda wondering what you think with this particular rifle.

The Coach

Reaction score
Really enjoying the vlog
Question about ES
What do you consider an acceptable ES?

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
I watched Vlog #3 this morning and am wondering how many shots are you into this rifle now? I fire formed 100 pcs of brass for my 30 SMPP then did load development and it tuned in pretty good and didn't have to work around what you are with this. I know your opinion on doing load development right away but would it have made sense on this 6.5 SAUM to wait? I know looking back is always easier but kinda wondering what you think with this particular rifle.
No. This rifle will not change my mind. I know it will shoot around 3020fps and somewhere around .025 off. If I had waited I would have wasted 100 rounds I could have been learning the rifle with. I know when it is in tune how it will perform at 1k vs spending another 100 learning that. The more important part I have not mentioned in the vlog is I started with RL26 and the rifle did not like it. This used around 40 rounds. I switched to H1000 and had a load shooting sub .250" consistently within another 20 rounds. I then moved to data collection. This rifle may be a little more difficult but all will require some tuning. The more overbore the more you will have to continue to tune. I will never see the value in wasting the first 100 rounds.

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
Really enjoying the vlog
Question about ES
What do you consider an acceptable ES?
I trust the target. A rifle I consider acceptable will be capable of holding 1moa vertical in all conditions at 1000 yards(+-.5moa from poa). There is a lot of good data with a good chrono like the labradar but too many new to reloading take it as gospel. The targets do not lie when shot at long distance.

Ladd

Reaction score
No. This rifle will not change my mind. I know it will shoot around 3020fps and somewhere around .025 off. If I had waited I would have wasted 100 rounds I could have been learning the rifle with. I know when it is in tune how it will perform at 1k vs spending another 100 learning that. The more important part I have not mentioned in the vlog is I started with RL26 and the rifle did not like it. This used around 40 rounds. I switched to H1000 and had a load shooting sub .250" consistently within another 20 rounds. I then moved to data collection. This rifle may be a little more difficult but all will require some tuning. The more overbore the more you will have to continue to tune. I will never see the value in wasting the first 100 rounds.
Good point. There’s value in collecting the data, keeping it in a log book for reference to look back on.

The Coach

Reaction score
I trust the target. A rifle I consider acceptable will be capable of holding 1moa vertical in all conditions at 1000 yards(+-.5moa from poa). There is a lot of good data with a good chrono like the labradar but too many new to reloading take it as gospel. The targets do not lie when shot at long distance.
Thank You

RBanta66

Reaction score
Watched your latest Vlog And I think it's a good thing that this rifle is making you actually work a little. As a viewer I think there is more to gain this way as to you just finding your load and done eezy peezy. Another great Vlog. It has definitely been a teaching & learning session!!!👍

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
Watched your latest Vlog And I think it's a good thing that this rifle is making you actually work a little. As a viewer I think there is more to gain this way as to you just finding your load and done eezy peezy. Another great Vlog. It has definitely been a teaching & learning session!!!👍
I actually hoped some would appreciate it being difficult but really most of my rifles have not been this much of a pain. I don't want to give it away yet but this rifle actually got worse and I am working through it.

Ladd

Reaction score
I actually hoped some would appreciate it being difficult but really most of my rifles have not been this much of a pain. I don't want to give it away yet but this rifle actually got worse and I am working through it.
Is it common to be this difficult to re-tune the load after the barrel speeds up or is there something happening that you'll spell out in a future video? I like your vlogs btw. Its real and unscripted.

Last edited:

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
It is common to be this difficult to re-tune the load after the barrel speeds up or is there something happening that you'll spell out in a future video. I like your vlogs btw. Its real and unscripted.
I have found in the 80 plus barrels I have tuned it really is as simple as dropping to the speed it was accurate at and maybe do some very small tweaks. Re tuning seating depth is not usually difficult either although you can not necessarily just "chase" the lands and maintain the original distance from the lands. This barrel has a mechanical issue and I will talk about it if and when I get it remedied. With hunting season approaching it may be sidelined unfortunately.

Ladd

Reaction score
I have found in the 80 plus barrels I have tuned it really is as simple as dropping to the speed it was accurate at and maybe do some very small tweaks. Re tuning seating depth is not usually difficult either although you can not necessarily just "chase" the lands and maintain the original distance from the lands. This barrel has a mechanical issue and I will talk about it if and when I get it remedied. With hunting season approaching it may be sidelined unfortunately.
I was thinking it had to be something. I could hear the F-bombs off camera.

JoshHaker

Reaction score
I have enjoyed watching your process and the slight struggle. I am interested to see cold bore through testing. With velocity/accuracy. Do you typically see an increase in velocity after these first two shots?

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
I have enjoyed watching your process and the slight struggle. I am interested to see cold bore through testing. With velocity/accuracy. Do you typically see an increase in velocity after these first two shots?
Not when the load is in tune. It may be at the max of my ES but not out of line and I will not use a load that can not keep the cold bore shot in the group.

RBanta66

Reaction score
Another informative vlog. I do have a question, I've been using the Strelok basic just for target practice and it has worked for my purposes so far out to 1k. I know you have touched on it before but why the Shooter App and what other if any bullet drop apps do you think are relevant and worthy of using for long range hunting/shooting?
Thanks.....Ron

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
Another informative vlog. I do have a question, I've been using the Strelok basic just for target practice and it has worked for my purposes so far out to 1k. I know you have touched on it before but why the Shooter App and what other if any bullet drop apps do you think are relevant and worthy of using for long range hunting/shooting?
Thanks.....Ron
I use bullet drop while doing load development because I don't like to build profiles until I have completed the load. I feel like shooter is the best app if that is the route you choose. I also love the Kestrel if you want to carry a wind instrument(everyone should). I am falling in love with the BR4. I am not sure if that helps.

Ladd

Reaction score
Can’t wait to hear how the 184 hybrids do. Probably a good option in the 7 max.

ShtrRdy

Reaction score
I watched #7 yesterday and it was actually encouraging to see that sometimes even Ryan has a range session that doesn't turn out as expected. I have a lot of those type.

I enjoyed the OCW firing session for the 6mm Dasher. It might have been nice to see the charge weight written by each group so that we could understand what the sequence of charge weights looked like.

Forum Sponsors