Using caul fat to wrap meat or make tallow? (goat meat)

flyer

Reaction score
I am not a hunter (yet) but I am going to buy a whole goat (butchered) for a bar-b-que and want to try some new cooking methods.

The caul fat is the lace-like fatty membrane that surrounds the internal organs. There is also fat surrounding the kidney I would like to use.

Some times the fat is rendered in to tallow and some people inject melted tallow in to lean cuts of meat to make them cook more like a marbled cut of meat. Some times caul fat is wrapped around a cut of meat or rice/vegetables to render and baste them with fat while cooking and create a crispy crust.

Goat is a lean meat, similar to lamb but with less musty flavor. If anyone has tried similar techniques on lean meats, I would love to hear your experience.

My bar-b-que technique is a slow braising process that leaves pork country style ribs falling off the bone but not quite as juicy as I would like. Since goat is leaner I want to try anything I can to reduce drying.

Opinions are welcome but I'm really looking for experience.

Thanks.

Spreedizzle

Reaction score
I’d definitely keep it. One of my faves is a couple of layer of it wrapped around the tenderloins and either grilled or on the rotisserie.

flyer

Reaction score
Thanks. Reading more it seems like people often use caul fat from a pig to wrap meats from different animals.

Depending on if the meat processor is willing to collect the caul fat, I'll use the goat or try to find pig instead.

Spreedizzle

Reaction score
Yup. Cut it out and keep it in my camp meat bag usually. Keep it cool but don’t freeze it.

Proud Vet

Reaction score
Regular non smoked, raw pork belly works wonders. Easy to render and very mild.

Forum Sponsors