True Barrel Life of the 28 Nosler

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
I dont have any personal experience with the 28 Nosler, but I do have experience with other 7mm's in smaller and larger cases. However I often get asked for this info on the 28N.

So, what I hope to do is create a small data base in this thread, with accurate info, from people who have shot the 28N to the point it needed a barrel replacement. Or, from people who have direct info on the subject.

The guys from Lone Peak built one, and they told me personally the barrel was gone to the point of chuncks of rifling missing in 400 to 500 rounds. I do believe this barrel could have been used in situations where several shot strings were shot. Never the less this is good info for anyone who may be considering a 28N for any type of comps or target.

So, that said, what solid data do you have on barrel life with a 28N, and what were was the course of fire for the barrel before it went south.

Thanks
Jeff

adam32

Reaction score
More than a 7mm RUM or 7mm Allen Mag...and they will each last well over 800 rounds if properly cared for.

Lone Peak guys must've ran theirs really hard and never cleaned it.

A know of a 26 Nosler barrel that was toast in 88 rounds.

Broz

Reaction score
More than a 7mm RUM or 7mm Allen Mag...and they will each last well over 800 rounds if properly cared for.

Lone Peak guys must've ran theirs really hard and never cleaned it.

A know of a 26 Nosler barrel that was toast in 88 rounds.

Have you got 800 + from a 7mm AM or a 7 RUM? I have not owned a 7 AM, but have a 7 lapua and a RUM. Both started going south by 500.

I don't feel I am hard on rifles at all, and I barely got 800 from a STW before accuracy started to suffer and groups open. I have however got over 1000 from a 7-300 win mag.

But what we are really looking for is solid data on a 28 Nosler from people that have worn a barrel out on one.

Thanks
Jeff

bigngreen

Reaction score
I'm just shy of 300 rounds and the Hawkey says rifling is just fire cracking and starting to show wear on a Rock Creek, still has a lot left! A LOT depends on the barrel, I've had a couple Lilja barrels that ate themselves in under 200 rounds with chambering that normally got 2000, XCaliber barrels will toast out fast as well some won't, I think it's a heat treat thing.

bigngreen

Reaction score
No that was with my Hawkeye so I can see detail perfect but no picture, with my Lyman scope I can't see any wear it's that little.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

bigngreen

Reaction score
And I'm being deliberately hard on this one, R33 running 5+ round strings during long range load work, I to want to know so I'm running just under full retard!

B23

Reaction score
And I'm being deliberately hard on this one, R33 running 5+ round strings during long range load work, I to want to know so I'm running just under full retard!

Kirk Lazarus: Everybody knows you never go full retard.
Tugg Speedman: What do you mean?
Kirk Lazarus: Check it out. Dustin Hoffman, 'Rain Man,' look retarded, act retarded, not retarded. Counted toothpicks, cheated cards. Autistic, sho'. Not retarded. You know Tom Hanks, 'Forrest Gump.' Slow, yes. Retarded, maybe. Braces on his legs. But he charmed the pants off Nixon and won a ping-pong competition. That ain't retarded. Peter Sellers, "Being There." Infantile, yes. Retarded, no. You went full retard, man. Never go full retard. You don't buy that? Ask Sean Penn, 2001, "I Am Sam." Remember? Went full retard, went home empty handed...

JeffVN

ELR Field Editor
Reaction score
I am brutal on my 7WSM (shooting it in F-Class comps and practice matches all the times) multiple 23-24 round relays in right at 17-18 minutes. I've consumed 3 barrels - all 1:9 twist cut rifle Kreiger's - so far (on barrel number 4 now). My average barrel life has be roughly 1,700 rounds. longest went close to 1900. Let me say this rig LOVES the flatline 151s, I've been shooting them in this rifle for over 7 years. They run a super sweet 3,220fps with nominal recoil (no muzzle break needed)(below 7 SD and below 20 ES). Holds a 5 inch waterline/vertical all day long at 1,000 yards.

I am slightly nicer to my 7 Dakota, as I only used it once in a while for F-Class practices and never pushed it super fast or beyond 15 or so rounds in 17-18 minutes. This is/was one of my go-to rigs for slinging lead in the desert at 1,900 - 2,100 yards (96 gr. H2O; fully capable of running a 195 Berger to 3,100 fps; runs a 180 Berger Hybrid to 3,200 fps)(If memory serves its 86.4+/- gr. Rl-33 under the 195 Bergers) The first barrel died at roughly 800 rounds (melonite on that barrel). The second barrel (2nd rifle same reamer and same dies on the same brass) is now eating 195 for lunch (as in poof before hitting the impact berm @ 1,000 yards) this one had roughly 700+. I'm sort of figuring that is what they run if you run them naked for that cartridge. I have enough virgin brass to justify another barrel, this one I'll melonite again. I'm going to have a break installed on this next one ... it thumps you fairly hard w/o a break.

I know the 28 Nosler is a bit smaller in H2O capacity then the Dakota, but looks somewhat similar. I would guess 500-750 rounds (melonite or some other throat protecting material will extend it a bit). If you get more its a present. In my hands that is 2 years use. I view barrels as consumables (I have to I burn too many of them up to think otherwise).

Jeffvn

Alex Wheeler

Reaction score
My throat has moved .017" in 100 rounds. I wont be burning it out anytime soon. I dont shoot it often. In no way would I expect to see over 800. But for me that will be more than I will ever shoot it. Its a solid .3 moa rifle (8.5lb) and if it opens up to .5 moa It will come off. I think barrel life needs to be quantified, some guys are happy if they still hold moa. Some will pull them as soon as accuracy starts to degrade.

Last edited:

Broz

Reaction score
In my experience as they degrade in accuracy and groups start to open, the ES suffers as well and at that point they have lost my trust for a long range hunting rig and I am done with it and feel the tube needs replaced for it to be used like I use them.

Jeff

Cjl2010

Reaction score
Is it worth the time and money to set the barrel back?

BClrh

Reaction score
I am brutal on my 7WSM (shooting it in F-Class comps and practice matches all the times) multiple 23-24 round relays in right at 17-18 minutes. I've consumed 3 barrels - all 1:9 twist cut rifle Kreiger's - so far (on barrel number 4 now). My average barrel life has be roughly 1,700 rounds. longest went close to 1900. Let me say this rig LOVES the flatline 151s, I've been shooting them in this rifle for over 7 years. They run a super sweet 3,220fps with nominal recoil (no muzzle break needed)(below 7 SD and below 20 ES). Holds a 5 inch waterline/vertical all day long at 1,000 yards.

I am slightly nicer to my 7 Dakota, as I only used it once in a while for F-Class practices and never pushed it super fast or beyond 15 or so rounds in 17-18 minutes. This is/was one of my go-to rigs for slinging lead in the desert at 1,900 - 2,100 yards (96 gr. H2O; fully capable of running a 195 Berger to 3,100 fps; runs a 180 Berger Hybrid to 3,200 fps)(If memory serves its 86.4+/- gr. Rl-33 under the 195 Bergers) The first barrel died at roughly 800 rounds (melonite on that barrel). The second barrel (2nd rifle same reamer and same dies on the same brass) is now eating 195 for lunch (as in poof before hitting the impact berm @ 1,000 yards) this one had roughly 700+. I'm sort of figuring that is what they run if you run them naked for that cartridge. I have enough virgin brass to justify another barrel, this one I'll melonite again. I'm going to have a break installed on this next one ... it thumps you fairly hard w/o a break.

I know the 28 Nosler is a bit smaller in H2O capacity then the Dakota, but looks somewhat similar. I would guess 500-750 rounds (melonite or some other throat protecting material will extend it a bit). If you get more its a present. In my hands that is 2 years use. I view barrels as consumables (I have to I burn too many of them up to think otherwise).

Jeffvn

Jeffvn, do find the 180 hybrids are less prone to blowing up than the 195's even with the extra 100fps?

I just picked up a ridgeline in 28 nosler for a good price and with the 9 twist barrel I will have to stick with the 180's so it would be nice if they held together.

I intend to not push it to max on the load if possible and I won't be shooting more than two shots at a time.
I will update how the barrel holds up. Under these conditions.

Broz

Reaction score
do find the 180 hybrids are less prone to blowing up than the 195's even with the extra 100fps?

I just picked up a ridgeline in 28 nosler for a good price and with the 9 twist barrel I will have to stick with the 180's so it would be nice if they held together.

I intend to not push it to max on the load if possible and I won't be shooting more than two shots at a time.
I will update how the barrel holds up. Under these conditions.

I have owned and tested many 7mm-300 win mags and killed lots of game with them including dozens of elk with 180 Hybrids, 180 VLD's and 195 Hybrids. If you want less expansion at higher impact velocities go with the 180 vld or HVLD.

Jeff

BClrh

Reaction score
I have owned and tested many 7mm-300 win mags and killed lots of game with them including dozens of elk with 180 Hybrids, 180 VLD's and 195 Hybrids. If you want less expansion at higher impact velocities go with the 180 vld or HVLD.

Jeff

Jeff did you have a have a preference between the 180 vld and HVLD. Performance on game, ease of load development etc. I am guessing that the HVLD would run a thicker jacket because it is a target bullet.

Broz

Reaction score
Jeff did you have a have a preference between the 180 vld and HVLD. Performance on game, ease of load development etc. I am guessing that the HVLD would run a thicker jacket because it is a target bullet.

The strait VLD has a slightly thicker jacket and what I would use if you are concerned about too much expansion. The H VLD is the "Hunting" Orange box version of the same bullet and is said to have a thinner jacket. I would not expect to see a lot of difference in terminal performance of expansion rates.

Jeff

Reaction score
Here are some pictures from a friends Xcaliber barrel that was chambered in 28 Nosler. The barrel spent most of its life using 75 grains of H1000 to sling a 195 Berger at 2900 fps. Accuracy at 100 yards degraded at around 300 rounds but still shot great at distance until about 850 rounds at which point it completely gave up. 4 to 5 foot groups at 1k yards and bullets blowing up were common. The barrel was pulled after a few additional range trips and cut in half to examine; final round count was around 1,000.

The throat is super rough and there is firecracking running down the barrel over 4" in front of the throat that you can see in the pictures.

Throat.jpg
View of the throat.
Thoat Close up.jpg
Close up of the throat
3''.jpg
3" down the barrel
4''.jpg
4" down the barrel

BClrh

Reaction score
Great pics, nice to see some well documented info coming out. Browninglover1 what was your buddy's normal shooting practices as far number of shots consecutively before cooling?

bigngreen

Reaction score
That's not surprising from an XCalibure barrel.

bigngreen

Reaction score
Ya, their heat treat is so variable batch to batch you can't count on any consistency. I've talked with another couple guys who have seen barrels shot out very premature. To much trouble with them having bores that will open in and out as you slug them and the twist rates are frequently missed, out of probably 20+ that I've had come it I only put a reamer in two of them.
Their employee turn over is high so there no way to get a consistent product.

Yoteklr

Reaction score
Browninglover, was your friends barrel SS or CM ?

Yoteklr

Reaction score
SS barrel from Xcaliber

My Shilen SS 28N barrel will be here in a couple of weeks. It will NOT be shooting 5 to 10 shot strings!

I usually shoot one every 5 minutes.

Last edited:

dieseldoc

Reaction score
My Shilen SS 28N barrel will be here in a couple of weeks. It will NOT be shooting 5 to 10 shot strings!

I usually shoot one every 5 minutes.

smart guy, can't expect to put three pounds of------- in a bag with out it failing, Right.

ACHILLES

Reaction score
My shooting buddy's 28nosler went south and was shooting eradic at a little over 400 rds. Barrel was a PAC nor, and 5+ shot strings were the norm in 90+ temps shooting the 195s.

ABC1000

Reaction score
I know you’re looking for hard data but I don’t have it personally... just got my 28 Nosler recently but did do a lot of research. I’ve talked to several people (builders, sellers and 28 owners).
I was told by three custom builders (4 including Christensen Arms) that barrel life depends greatly on whether you’re pushing the Berger 195s or not. 500 might be all you get.
Ryan Pierce said you’re wearing out 10/1000 per 100 shots fired if running Berger 195s. The guy who has my same gun has several hundred rounds fired and is shooting the 175gr accubonds with retumbo and thinks he might get close to 1,000.

Broz

Reaction score
ABC1000, Please keep us posted. I too have talked with several people since I started this thread and it seems 600 rounds is about it if you are careful. Of course there will be exceptions and some may go farther. But yes, we are looking for personal 1st hand experience and that does us all most good. You will have this soon.

I think I read where you bought a CA ELR in 28 NOS. May I ask what the rifles main purpose will be? My guess is you will us it mostly for hunting?

Do you plan to run the lighter weight 175's in it?

Thanks
Jeff

adam32

Reaction score
600 rounds until what? It goes from 1/2 moa to 3/4? Or just goes to crap all together? Firecracking in the throat but still shooting great?

A "burnt" out barrel can mean different things to different people.

Broz

Reaction score
600 rounds until what? It goes from 1/2 moa to 3/4? Or just goes to crap all together? Firecracking in the throat but still shooting great?

A "burnt" out barrel can mean different things to different people.

That is true. To me it means it is loosing accuracy to a noticeable point. I know that this means its not long for life and I would not trust it for a LR hunting rig. The next group could be 4" at 100 or worse. I don't know of too many that would use a 28 Nosler for a target rifle. So accuracy at distance is important for clean kills.

I don't have that info for every rifle first hand, so I wont post a guess what they meant. The reason I asked for first hand info. I shouldn't have strayed from it so truthful answers could be had. But all I can add is they were rebarreling.

Jeff

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have 818 Shots on my 28 Nos barrel and it's about done. Its grown 80 thou ish and it went from a .5 MOA to a 1 MOA rifle.

cjuve

Reaction score
I just had the bore scoped on my 28 at 450 rounds, there were some noticeable cracks within 1/4" but no real alligator checking. The smith though it may make it another 400-450 rds., the accuracy is still real good. I would not say that I have been real easy on it but definitely not super hard.

BClrh

Reaction score
I just had the bore scoped on my 28 at 450 rounds, there were some noticeable cracks within 1/4" but no real alligator checking. The smith though it may make it another 400-450 rds., the accuracy is still real good. I would not say that I have been real easy on it but definitely not super hard.
That would be great if it makes it another 400-450. How long is your barrel? What powder, bullet and velocity are you running?

Lonewolf74

Reaction score
I apologize if I'm a little off topic and have nothing of value to really add.

The question I have, is there anything to gain by using some of the fire lapping bullets available such as the Tubb kits or even just trying to lightly polish the throat area with JB, Iosso or some mild abrasive paste to keep the throat smoother?

Could this buy you a few more accurate rounds without pushing the throat much further forward?

Greg Duley

Reaction score
Absolutely in our opinion. As Ive said elsewhere we Use KG2 bore polish on the throats of our barrel burners continually and it definitly extends their useful barrel life.

matt2308

Reaction score
I have just retired my 24” Krieger 28 Nosler barrel at 850 rounds.

It held 1/3 MOA right up to 800 rounds shooting the 180 ELD-M’s over 79 grains of Retumbo at 3045fps.

Knowing it wouldn’t last much longer, I decided to do some further testing with N570 and the 195’s.
At 830 rounds I started to loose some of the 195’s on the way to the 100m target mid flight.
A pity as the ones that did go the full distance still shot a touching group.

Some pieces of 195 jacket that I picked up from about the 75m mark at the range.

d773ca640363a5e5758ed522f11060dd.jpg

Some of the 12 195’s that did reach the target were still shooting pretty well though I’m not sure why they printed into two separate groups as I didn’t change point of aim.

54d38a98d681493bef4f198330dc6f04.jpg

I shall probably use the Bartlien 3b that I have to re-chamber in 7 Blaser Magnum.
180’s at 3050 from a 26” barrel using nearly 10 grains less powder and around 1200 shots from a barrel is the data I’ve been given so far from other running this cartridge.

Broz

Reaction score
Good reports. I am surprised that some are getting 800. Thats pretty good but my old 7-300 win mags would run 180's at 3025 from a 22" and 3150 from a 28" and get well over 1000 rounds.

Jeff

Yoteklr

Reaction score
Matt2308,
How long were you waiting between shots?

Yoteklr

Reaction score
Can't remember if you said what powder are you using?

Forum Sponsors