Tent vs Hammock for winter camping

nksmfamjp

Reaction score
So, what are your thoughts for about 0deg weather overnight. Thinking about minimalist camping. Are you better off in a Hammock tent or on the ground in a real tent. Primary concerns are keeping warm, dressing, etc.

Tsgman

Reaction score
I tried a hammock a few times. Once for a week in September and a few nights in November in Oregon. I don't think I ever had a warm night sleep. My under quilt didn't fit that great though. If I spent the money on a really good setup I probably would have been warm, but for that price one could buy a nice hot tent combo. I went back to a tent and like it much better, and my overall weight is less. Even if I was warm I would choose a tent for keeping my clothes and gear dry durring the night if it's raining sideways. I always had a bad night sleep for the first few nights while getting use to the swaying as well. Some people love them, but it's not for me. Personally at 0 degrees I would buy a setup that I could add a fireplace to eventually. If you haven't camped much in a freezer it is hard to have liquid water, and a fire is so nice at night. To go light just don't bring the fireplace.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

muleystalker

Reaction score
The last place I would want to be sleeping in freezing weather is a couple foot in the air where cold and possibly damp wind could be blowing around me 360*, above ,below and both sides. Just more ways to loose body heat.

elkguide

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
If you are trying to minimize your weight with a hammock, in zero weather the amount of bedding that you would have to carry to keep you warm would be much more than in a tent. I find a hammock to be very comfortable down to about 35*. Then I definitely go for a tent with a pad and a good bag.

North61

Reaction score
Used a hammock moose hunting in the Yukon this fall to 28F or so. Used a pad and torso length underquilt and was very cozy. Would need to spend a fair bit on a good full length 0F underquilt and top quilt to get to 0F but it is doable..... as said you'd be carrying a fair bit of insulation. Shug from youtube does it and I recommend searching out his channel to learn all you need to know about cold weather and the hammock.

Forum Sponsors