Swaro NL Pures

sam

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience using the Swarovski NL Pures in 12 X 42 without a tripod? I rarely glass for any length of time unless I have some type of support. Usually I sit and use a trekking pole to help stablize my 10 X Leica Geovids. With those I could glass off hand but always found the sitting supported position much more comfortable and created less eye strain. My thought was that the Swaro 12s may be fine the way I typically glass. I do realize you sacrifice some field of view but the Swaro Pures in 12 X would still have as good a field of view as most 10 X binos. Any experiences to share?

Magnett

Reaction score
My guide this past year had the 12x NL Swaros. They are fantastic glass. He and I both used them off-hand and it was certainly doable. I am sure if they were supported with sticks or tripod they would be even better.

DropTines

Reaction score
I use the 12x50 ELs without a tripod. I have no complaints about using them without a tripod, although I very well know there is some shakiness in exchange for some extra power. With the ergonomics of the NLs I’ve felt as stable as a normal 10x. I will likely be upgrading as a result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sam

Reaction score
Thanks guys. great first hand feedback.

Spreedizzle

Reaction score
EL 10 TA’s for me, and I can glass offhand with them no issue. The forehead rest is an option which I picked up for mine does a nice job as well. Between that, and stabilizing by wrapping some fingers around my hat brim, it’s as stable as I can get off hand.

Alex Wheeler

Reaction score
You can use them but you wont gain anything. Your paying for resolution and any slight movement throws that out the window. If your going to hand hold them, you wont gain over a mid grade bino. I will take 8s over 12s for hand holding and even then I dont like holding my 8s if I really want to pick apart some timber. If they are out in the open you will find them though.

OSU Fisher

Reaction score
I ran the 12x42 pures last year. Love them. But I like high mag. I don’t even hate running my 15’s in my hands for short periods. But I typically sit down and use my knees as support if I don’t have them on a tripod.

FURMAN

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Regardless of what some may say Alex is correct. You can not distinguish the difference between good, great, and the best hand held and if you are glassing long distances looking for bedded bucks or elk without a tripod you are missing game.

FURMAN

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
You can use them but you wont gain anything. Your paying for resolution and any slight movement throws that out the window. If your going to hand hold them, you wont gain over a mid grade bino. I will take 8s over 12s for hand holding and even then I dont like holding my 8s if I really want to pick apart some timber. If they are out in the open you will find them though.
This! You’ll never realize the difference of an expensive high quality optic hand holding.

Forum Sponsors