Sudden heavy bolt / ejector marks

stlhdr1

Reaction score
Quick summary as I’ve posted about my rifle before.

6.5-284 Christensen ridgeline long action 26” carbon barrel.

I worked a load 2 years ago that was dialed at about 1/4 MOA, that load was Lapua Brass, 55.7 Retumbo, 156 EOL, fed 215M primer. With the new rifle at first development it shot 2851fps, this load was worked in the spring time at a roughly 50 degree average temp outside. Two trips ago I took the rifle out to confirm accuracy as I drew a great late buck rifle tag here in WA state. The gun shot 2881 avg fps over 7 shots. That brass was on its 3rd load (roughly 125 down the barrel at this point) so it sped up. I came home and loaded some fresh new brass which was the same lot and it shot a 2878 avg. I came on here and asked for suggestions and Furman said drop powder charge to get back to 2851 avg to stay in that accuracy node so I went back up today to test for that speed.

Todays results, outside temp 40 degrees and raining. Almost every shot I took had a heavy bolt lift and extractor marks. That includes those that had shot the 2881 avg which today averaged 2876fps. Plus the loads where I dropped powder charge to find the 2851 which was 54.9 grain charge.

What’s causing this heavy bolt lift all of a sudden? And I mean heavy, from the prone position it was a challenge to lift the bolt.
Keith

Last edited:

Timeless61

Reaction score
You mentioned that it was raining…. Are you sure no moisture made it onto your cases? If moisture did you will get pressure and the strong signs.

stlhdr1

Reaction score
Quick summary as I’ve posted about my rifle before.

6.5-284 Christensen ridgeline long action 26” carbon barrel.

I worked a load 2 years ago that was dialed at about 1/4 MOA, that load was Lapua Brass, 55.7 Retumbo, 156 EOL, fed 215M primer. With the new rifle at first development it shot 2851fps, this load was worked in the spring time at a roughly 50 degree average temp outside. Two trips ago I took the rifle out to confirm accuracy as I drew a great late buck rifle tag here in WA state. The gun shot 2881 avg fps over 7 shots. That brass was on its 3rd load (roughly 125 down the barrel at this point) so it sped up. I came home and loaded some fresh brass and it shot a 2878 avg. I came on here and asked for suggestions and Furman said drop powder charge to get back to 2851 avg so I went back up today to test for that speed.

Todays results, outside temp 40 degrees and raining. Every shot I took had a heavy bolt lift and extractor marks. That includes those that had shot the 2881 avg which today averaged 2876fps. Plus the loads where I dropped powder charge to find the 2851 which was 54.9 grain charge.

What’s causing this heavy bolt lift all of a sudden?

Keith
You mentioned that it was raining…. Are you sure no moisture made it onto your cases? If moisture did you will get pressure and the strong signs.

Interesting. Yes, the cases would have gotten wet but not dripping wet. I hope it was just that, but it is the first time I’ve tested a load in the rain.

Keith

stlhdr1

Reaction score
Based on what you typed above I would be leaning towards a carbon ring. I would scrub the barrel and repeat. If you have already done that let us know.

I have not scrubbed for a carbon ring but did thoroughly clean the gun about 20 rounds ago. But I have a couple questions before I do that as the hunt is November 10th and will be in the woods with my wife this weekend for her deer tag with the gun.

1. Does scrubbing a carbon ring change the point of impact? On the small chance it’s not the carbon ring?

2. If I opt to leave it for now to get though the next few weekend hunts is the gun a safety issue with the heavy bolt lift?

Side note - The gun shot well today with the heavy bolt as the point of impact didn’t change but 1/3” as I worked down in powder charge to get back to my 2851.

Keith

FURMAN

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
I have not scrubbed for a carbon ring but did thoroughly clean the gun about 20 rounds ago. But I have a couple questions before I do that as the hunt is November 10th and will be in the woods with my wife this weekend for her deer tag with the gun.

1. Does scrubbing a carbon ring change the point of impact? On the small chance it’s not the carbon ring?

2. If I opt to leave it for now to get though the next few weekend hunts is the gun a safety issue with the heavy bolt lift?

Side note - The gun shot well today with the heavy bolt as the point of impact didn’t change but 1/3” as I worked down in powder charge to get back to my 2851.

Keith
Removing a carbon ring can change point of impact(propably won't but I would not chance it). If it is shooting fine I would leave it until after season.

stlhdr1

Reaction score
Removing a carbon ring can change point of impact(propably won't but I would not chance it). If it is shooting fine I would leave it until after season.

Makes sense and thank you for the quick responses! That’s why I love this site!

Keith

Vol75

Reaction score
Bore Tech’s C4 Carbon Remover is your friend.
use nylon brush and follow directions.

FURMAN

Staff member
Reaction score
C4 has been one of the least effective in my experience. I have had some luck with Thorroflush and great experience with wipeout with accelerator.

stlhdr1

Reaction score
C4 has been one of the least effective in my experience. I have had some luck with Thorroflush and great experience with wipeout with accelerator.
I found the thoroflush but who makes the wipeout and accelerator? I didn’t see those listed online.

Keith

Diverjeff

Reaction score

Diverjeff

Reaction score
You got it brother. (y)

stlhdr1

Reaction score
Update -

Still waiting on the recommended cleaning products to show on the doorstep but running short on time.

I spent 35 minutes last night running some Barnes CR10 cleaner and brush through the barrel. After each brush run x4 I would get a blue covered patch. I must have had 30 patches in the mid to dark clue coming out.

The question is, is that remnants of me cleaning a carbon ring or just copper fouling that’s being removed?

Although I mildly cleaned the gun mid summer, it’s apparent I didn’t do a very good job as I hadn’t wire brushed it as much as this time.

Headed out this afternoon to hunt through the closure Monday the 31st with updated loads to confirm POI and velocities this weekend while the wife carries it for her deer tag. See what happens and hope to find her one of them dumb bucks!

Keith

Gord0

Reaction score
Update -

Still waiting on the recommended cleaning products to show on the doorstep but running short on time.

I spent 35 minutes last night running some Barnes CR10 cleaner and brush through the barrel. After each brush run x4 I would get a blue covered patch. I must have had 30 patches in the mid to dark clue coming out.

The question is, is that remnants of me cleaning a carbon ring or just copper fouling that’s being removed?

Although I mildly cleaned the gun mid summer, it’s apparent I didn’t do a very good job as I hadn’t wire brushed it as much as this time.

Headed out this afternoon to hunt through the closure Monday the 31st with updated loads to confirm POI and velocities this weekend while the wife carries it for her deer tag. See what happens and hope to find her one of them dumb bucks!

Keith
If you're using that Barnes with a bronze brush it's going to eat the brush and turn blue in there. The blue color is from copper. Bronze is mostly copper.

EddieNel

Reaction score
Can he just use the Barnes and let it soak for 5 minutes then patch it clean and then maybe repeat several times until he's running clean patches?

stlhdr1

Reaction score

Had the chance mid day to fire a 3 shot test group. The first shot showed a very light ejector mark, the following 2 showed no issues and no heavy bolt. The POI didn't appear to change.

The 3 shots were at 549 yards at a 18 degree uphill angle with a 12-15mph left to right steady cross wind. I didn't dope the wind and it shot a 3.1" group averaging 7.5" right of center, elevation was within 1" of center line.

But that 12-15mph from 10-11'oclock would move that berger 156 EOL at 2876fps roughly the 7" right?

I'm going into my special tag hunt with ultra high confidence now for the long shot should it provide it's self.

Thank you!

Keith

FURMAN

Staff member
Reaction score
Windage sounds right. I am glad you are reading to hunt.

stlhdr1

Reaction score
Windage sounds right. I am glad you are reading to hunt

Well, what a week…. Passed over 20 legal bucks from just out the window to 1050 yards.

On day two I fired one test shot at 911 yards at a 23 degree angle downhill. At full zoom it appeared I was about 3-4” high. Crosshairs were held at the top of the black rock creating the white riffle. 911 yard test shot

Ended up killing a 3pt at 80 yards on the 2nd to last day. Was a fun tag to have but luck wasn’t on my side for any cascade blacktails over 120”.

Keith

Reactions: DEW

outdoorguy17

Reaction score
Congrats! I agree, enjoy the meat and you're not eating tag soup! if you want to try it, stop at your local hardware store and grab some CLR lime remover. it works awesome on carbon and so far i dont have any issues using it on a barrel. some people even let it sit on the muzzle brakes but they experience some finish wear. I never let it sit in the barrel for more than a minute or two. It foams when it comes into contact with carbon. eric cortina has a lot of youtube videos on it.

Tim nz

Reaction score
Hey i had a 260rem that was a hot load with the 143 eldx. It was a dizzily day with light showers. I was on a hill side shooting rabbits at approximately 400yards..... I fired hit the first one. Had heavy bolt lift, didn't think to check the brass. Fired again hit its mate. ejected with heavy lift. Found the primers had fallen out of both the fired rounds. =trip over. I had been firing hot loads with lapua brass. The pockets were getting lose. The rain was sideways and entered the chamber. I knew it was happening and assumed it would be fine. I ended up replacing all my brass. I also reduced the load a fair bit. Sounds very amateur when i read that back. Not saying thats what happening here. I also cleaned my carbon ring out.

Forum Sponsors