Sleeping bags

Bruised

Reaction score
I'm looking for advice/recomendations for a lightweight bag for a second season Colorado backpack elk hunt. It's mind numbing to look at all of the options. Would like to stay under $400, preferably less. I have a lot of gear to buy. Thanks
Bobby

J2shooter

Reaction score
What size guy are you? What temperature rating do you expect to need the bag to be?
Are you shopping pads too?

Bruised

Reaction score
I'm 6'3" 220. I was looking at zero degree bags for the simple reason that I'm not used to the cold sleeping arrangement. Looks like average nighttime temps could be in the low teens . I have ordered a Klymit insulated pad with a 4.4 R value. I have looked at some bags from Big Agnes and Marmot. I realize its going to be a heavy bag but I think the comfort will be worth it. Again, this is all new to me so any info is very much appreciated.
Bobby

Ladd

Reaction score
A 0 deg bag for a backpack hunt is unnecessary extra weight. I’d go lighter weight and carry a liner which frees up room in the backpack too. The Kuiu 30 deg bag is perfect for me with a Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor bag liner. This combo is rated down to 16 deg. Then throw on your hunting pants and jacket if necessary. I’m usually shedding and going commando midway through the night.

Save your money on the Klymit. Mine was flat the first night. The Thermarest NeoAir Xlite is very lightweight and mine has lasted three years so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J2shooter

Reaction score
So for the pad, I know it's already on the way but I'll say that it needs to be a wide / 25" minimum If you're a back sleeper. I'm a back sleeper and if your elbows are hanging off it will wreck.....well it wrecked my sleep.

+1 for lbirch on the thermarest but I'm running the large xtherm and it's awesome.

I also started with a klymit and it didn't work out. Quite simply I didn't sleep well on it. Part of the problem was it was too narrow.

Some advice I received and didn't totally follow was don't spare expense on the sleeping kit. If you don't sleep you're kind of screwed and it will be less fun, unsafe and you'll have more quit in you. I still have an REI igneo 17 that works well and is light weight but it's too snug. Warm but too snug.

My brother in-law bought the western mountaineering badger 15 and it is Incredibly good. I would definitely go with western mountaineering if I had it to do again. It's a bit above your budget I know.

I should have followed the advice and took the time to save buy the highest quality stuff possible for the sleep kit.

Went through several pad configurations before landing on the xtherm and I still want a western mountaineering bag.

One other one may be the REI magma 15. Based on my igneo keeping me very comfy in high 20s I'd say it would serve you well for a while.

Last edited:

Bruised

Reaction score
Thank you, I will look at all these suggestions.
Bobby

FURMAN

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
I sleep cold and will never go into the backcountry without a zero degree bag so I would say for me personally as much as I hate extra weight it is one item I will gladly carry. You can't hunt if you aren't getting rest. For $400 you will be making sacrifices no matter which route you go. Kifaru slick bags are very nice but heavy because of the synthetic insulation. I love EE quilts and have slept in my zero degree in temps down to 15F. If you get cold you can always put on a layer of down( jackets/pants) I do not like to sleep in my down clothing because it gets sweaty and decreases its r value. Look at the Kifaru and Enlightened equipment and check back with us.

Ladd

Reaction score
I could never sleep in my down pants and jacket either or much of any clothes. I sweat too easy. If I ever needed to I'd just lay them on top of the bag. I sleep pretty hot so I have an advantage. It must be because I live in tripple digit summers and it takes all winter to cool off. really all I need is the 30 deg bag and a liner, oh and a beanie. I agree with Ryan though, you have to be comfortable when you're 15+ miles for the trailhead.

One thing I do is list all my gear on Excel with weights down to the ounce. This includes anything you carry outside of the backpack.

Quilts are a great idea too.

Whatever backpack you go with pack it in a Sea to Summit water proof bag or similar. Happy hunting. Can't wait for this fall. This summer blows.

Ladd

Reaction score
So for the pad, I know it's already on the way but I'll say that it needs to be a wide / 25" minimum If you're a back sleeper. I'm a back sleeper and if your elbows are hanging off it will wreck.....well it wrecked my sleep.

+1 for lbirch on the thermarest but I'm running the large xtherm and it's awesome.

I also started with a klymit and it didn't work out. Quite simply I didn't sleep well on it. Part of the problem was it was too narrow.

Some advice I received and didn't totally follow was don't spare expense on the sleeping kit. If you don't sleep you're kind of screwed and it will be less fun, unsafe and you'll have more quit in you. I still have an REI igneo 17 that works well and is light weight but it's too snug. Warm but too snug.

My brother in-law bought the western mountaineering badger 15 and it is Incredibly good. I would definitely go with western mountaineering if I had it to do again. It's a bit above your budget I know.

I should have followed the advice and took the time to save buy the highest quality stuff possible for the sleep kit.

Went through several pad configurations before landing on the xtherm and I still want a western mountaineering bag.

One other one may be the REI magma 15. Based on my igneo keeping me very comfy in high 20s I'd say it would serve you well for a while.
The xtherm is nice. I use the xlite regular wide which is similar to yours but 5 oz lighter, 5 inches shorter and 1.5 R-value less. I would think yours would work really well. Mine does me good too. I'm a side sleeper. A comfy ground pad is a plus.

SierraJoe

Reaction score
My wife and I have Nemo Riff bags, 15 and 30 degrees, respectively. I am very happy with them. Not quite as light as some of the other bags mentioned, but their “spoon” shape is much more comfortable for me when I sleep on my side versus a true mummy bag.

Joe

Nevada Smith

Reaction score
Carinthia Defence 4 Sleeping Bag ($175) or Carinthia Defence 6 Sleeping Bag ($212)

The Defence sleeping bag series is designed for military use, the materials and overall properties are all made with that in mind.

ETA: Another option is a Defence 4 and a Carinthia Tropen -- Unlike Carinthia's Defence series of sleeping bags the Tropen is not waterproof, which makes it very, very breathable which is a key point in keeping you comfortable when sleeping out in warm weather. The breathability also makes Tropen the perfect liner bag - stuff this into another bag (Carinthias Defence 4 for example) and you have a very, very warm combo that keeps you warm in extreme temperatures. The Tropen and Defence 4 can be packed into the compression sack of the latter and the zippers are positioned differently to minimize heat loss. Overall a very nice combo!

Last edited:

jmden

Reaction score
NeoAir XTherm. Western Mountaineering Versalite--lightest 10F rated bag on the market. Have used both a few years. Great combination.

warrbuk

Reaction score
I have a WM Kodiak and have nothing bad to say about that bag..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Wilson

Reaction score
I bought a bag from Cabelas at least 30 yrs ago. It's the best sleeping system I've ever seen. I have slept in it from 50 above and everything between down to 40 below. It's 2 light sleeping bags that can be used singularly or zipped together as a double sleeping bag or folded over zipped together as a single bag with 3 different layers of comfort depending on the temperature. I think a light bag rated maybe 30 , then take a light blanket and use your hunting clothes as stated should work down to zero. that stated i spent about 5 weeks in my sleeping bag last year and the very first night was the coldest at -8 in the upper uintas around Oct 1st.

Last edited:

Shooter264

Reaction score
Look hard at the Stone Glacier bags. Super lightweight and roomy.

Forum Sponsors