Shooting Tripod

Ladd

Reaction score
I decided to get into the shooting tripod game with a 6" arca rail to mount on my 6.5 PRC. How many of you use a tripod hunting? I never have, but with my son's deer hunt coming up this fall I thought a tripod might be a good way for a novice to be stable just in case prone isn't an option. I can't think of too many places where we'll be that he will need to take a shot over 400 yards either but I want to give him the best possible chance. So, I jumped in. UPS should be delivering the Revic Stabilizer Hunter Tripod to me today. I looked at Really Right Stuff and Vortex but went with the Revic because I like to support those guys at Gunwerks even though I have yet to buy a rifle from them.

What do you guys use and have you liked them? Post pics if you have them.

waveslayer

Reaction score
Yes, I always use a tripod because I have arca rails mounted to each gun, hog saddle for those friends no rails mounted , binos and spotter. It's super handy to throw anything on it. Here's some quick pics I have. I went with the really right stuff and haven't regretted it!

I always pack the tripod. Lots of good use.
ca659afa1c21b2a80dd2e1ecf91901ea.jpg
99b7f0acf2194d2060a6584ebaed6742.jpg
b112c2af5ec623b9fa73099aaf77fdad.jpg

my wife thinks I only have 3 guns

Ladd

Reaction score
I should get another 6” arca rail for another rifle and take it on my deer hunt. Try it out before my son’s hunt. I can think of many places to use it where I’ll be hunting.

zrodco

Reaction score
I’ll be carrying my 7 pound carbon tripod this season when reasonable. I think it’s going to be a game changer shooting antelope in the sage and the extreme angle shots I always seem to be presented with deer and elk hunting.

I got Vortex Radian recently and honestly I’m blown away by it. At 600 yards I’m shooting 1 moa groups from my 6.5 cm & 6.5 SAUM standing (sub-moa rifles prone). I’m spotting impacts too.

Very useful tool.

Last edited:

Ladd

Reaction score
My Revic tripod came today and I noticed one cool thing. When I take off the plate for my Outdoorsman tripod, my swaro slips right in to the Revic tripod and clamps down without the need for an adaptor plate. Bonus.

doc88

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this myself. Can't decide on a ballhead vs leveling base. Will I be missing more shooting range going with a leveling base? I'm leaning that way as it seems more sturdy. Looking at the RRS Anvil and leveling base.

waveslayer

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this myself. Can't decide on a ballhead vs leveling base. Will I be missing more shooting range going with a leveling base? I'm leaning that way as it seems more sturdy. Looking at the RRS Anvil and leveling base.
Go Anvil 30! Best option I've used for PRS, Hunting, scouting and holding Trump flags for my Commie neighbors

rfurman24

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Go Anvil 30! Best option I've used for PRS, Hunting, scouting and holding Trump flags for my Commie neighbors

Have you used a leveling base? If so which ones?

doc88

Reaction score

Thanks. Did you go with RRS Tripod as well? If so which ONE? I see a lot of the 24s and 33s.
Doc

waveslayer

Reaction score
Thanks. Did you go with RRS Tripod as well? If so which ONE? I see a lot of the 24s and 33s.
Doc
I chose 3 leg for quicker deployment, but the 4 section offers a smaller overall package . I didn't care much for that. I was ok with a longer tripod.

Yes RRS. Super sold, very solid

zrodco

Reaction score
I used a RRS leveling base and now use the ball head that’s an option on the vortex radian. I find the ball head WAY easier to use. Especially when you swap the rifle out for a spotting scope.

I can’t tell a difference in stability.

Livetohunt

Reaction score
I’m working on a forum write up / on going thead on two other forums called “tripod shooting positions and western hunting” maybe I’ll do the same over here. Tripods are getting a lot more popular for glassing, and a lot of people are now using them to shoot off of also! There’s so many variables when it comes to glassing and shooting, like the fact I love glassing with a fluid head, so I adapt my shooting when hunting to the fluid head! I’ll have a bunch of tips and tricks included for different positions.

Ken

Ladd

Reaction score
I’m working on a forum write up / on going thead on two other forums called “tripod shooting positions and western hunting” maybe I’ll do the same over here. Tripods are getting a lot more popular for glassing, and a lot of people are now using them to shoot off of also! There’s so many variables when it comes to glassing and shooting, like the fact I love glassing with a fluid head, so I adapt my shooting when hunting to the fluid head! I’ll have a bunch of tips and tricks included for different positions.

Ken
You should. It would be a good read and have your insights.

waveslayer

Reaction score

Ken
That's awesome!!! Have you worked with or shot with Marcus Blanchard? He wrote a good book on positions, one hell of a shooter!!! Shots a bolt gun so fast you'd think it was a gas gun, Google that! Impressive.

Livetohunt

Reaction score
That's awesome!!! Have you worked with or shot with Marcus Blanchard? He wrote a good book on positions, one hell of a shooter!!! Shots a bolt gun so fast you'd think it was a gas gun, Google that! Impressive.

haven’t heard of him! My stuff is always applicable to hunting scenarios. I don’t shoot a ton, but considering my company makes stuff for shooting off tripods, I do know a decent amount about it, and will share what I can!

Ken

waveslayer

Reaction score
haven’t heard of him! My stuff is always applicable to hunting scenarios. I don’t shoot a ton, but considering my company makes stuff for shooting off tripods, I do know a decent amount about it, and will share what I can!

Ken
That's awesome. Check him out! He trains guys for positional shooting. He's up in Utah

DocBernard

Reaction score
I have an older heavy duty Bogen-Manfrotto camera/video tripod that I repurposed for shooting. Took a little thought to get the camera base-plate to fit onto my rifle's handguard, but once that was solved....it works great. I can remove it from the tripod, and the base plate stays on the rifle and is not any kind of impediment.
IMG-1394.JPG

zrodco

Reaction score
If you hunt with a tripod this fall i highly recommend carrying around a trekking pole for a rear support.

I hunted antelope last week with that setup and it was very stable.

Forum Sponsors