Scotland 1998

Bamban

Reaction score
Short range, but a prelude to a 2 day long range match up to 1000.

When I was on a business trip to Scotland in 98 I had a choice on one of the weekends to shoot a round at St. Andrews or shoot in their Northern Scotland Fullbore Championship. I chose the latter.

Before the match I had to verify zero on the rifle I borrowed from a friend. It was a Musgrave action in 308, configured TR. It had Weaver T16. Load was Berger 155 in front of healthy dose of N140.

Sight in was the local range, Ponclair, not too far from Edinburgh, where I was staying.

This is the group I shot on the ground. My buddy kept this in their club house for anyone to beat the group size. After sitting there since 98, about 5 years ago he sent to TX for my remembrance. Nobody beat it.

20160120_140314.jpg

The match was from 300 to 1000 yards across 2 days. During registration, the match director asked me how long is my home range. I answered honestly that it's only 200 yards. He promptly reminded me that the match will stretch to 1000 yards. He did not asked me whether I have shot at 1000 yards before, and I did not volunteer that I did.

The match format is different from our NRA rules. By their rules, 3 shooter occupy each firing point. The rotation is simple, one will shoot, while the 2nd shooter is getting ready, and the 3rd scores. What I like about it, you can't pick your condition, when the rotation calls for you to shoot, the target goes up marked up with value and shot markers fired by the previous shooter. You have 45 seconds to decide what the wind is worth, crank if you have to and shoot. After 45 seconds as timed by the pit puller the target goes down. You did not shoot, you get a miss.

You could very well be shooting in different conditions on every shot, and you can't chase your spotter like some prone shooters do sometimes.

In the UK, I was told by my Scottish buddy who loaned me the rifle, every club gets a NRA medal they can award to anyone as decided by the club. It doesn't even have anything to do with competition shooting..

During the awards ceremony they decided to give me their club's UK NRA for traveling the farthest to shoot and for shooting the highest score and highest V bulls across 2 days.

Last thing the venue was the Blair Atholl, almost at the foothills of the Highlands. It is a beautiful range, predominant wind was from 2 and bounces off the aide of the mountain at low end of the range... tricky is an understatement. If you guys have a copy of this book, this is Blair Atholl Range.
20210325_205756.jpg

Attachments

• 20210325_205756.jpg
    20210325_205756.jpg
    527 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Bamban

Reaction score

Spreedizzle

Reaction score
Very cool....but for me also somber. I had a trip scheduled last summer to get to England and Scotland. Edinburgh was on my list, as well as St Andrew’s. The good news is that it gave them another year to stockpile more scotch before I get out there......

J2shooter

Reaction score
Keep the stories coming. I'm really enjoying reading them.

Thanks for sharing,
Kevin

OSOK - Crash

Reaction score
Short range, but a prelude to a 2 day long range match up to 1000.

When I was on a business trip to Scotland in 98 I had a choice on one of the weekends to shoot a round at St. Andrews or shoot in their Northern Scotland Fullbore Championship. I chose the latter.

Before the match I had to verify zero on the rifle I borrowed from a friend. It was a Musgrave action in 308, configured TR. It had Weaver T16. Load was Berger 155 in front of healthy dose of N140.

Sight in was the local range, Ponclair, not too far from Edinburgh, where I was staying.

This is the group I shot on the ground. My buddy kept this in their club house for anyone to beat the group size. After sitting there since 98, about 5 years ago he sent to TX for my remembrance. Nobody beat it.

View attachment 7093

The match was from 300 to 1000 yards across 2 days. During registration, the match director asked me how long is my home range. I answered honestly that it's only 200 yards. He promptly reminded me that the match will stretch to 1000 yards. He did not asked me whether I have shot at 1000 yards before, and I did not volunteer that I did.

The match format is different from our NRA rules. By their rules, 3 shooter occupy each firing point. The rotation is simple, one will shoot, while the 2nd shooter is getting ready, and the 3rd scores. What I like about it, you can't pick your condition, when the rotation calls for you to shoot, the target goes up marked up with value and shot markers fired by the previous shooter. You have 45 seconds to decide what the wind is worth, crank if you have to and shoot. After 45 seconds as timed by the pit puller the target goes down. You did not shoot, you get a miss.

You could very well be shooting in different conditions on every shot, and you can't chase your spotter like some prone shooters do sometimes.

In the UK, I was told by my Scottish buddy who loaned me the rifle, every club gets a NRA medal they can award to anyone as decided by the club. It doesn't even have anything to do with competition shooting..

During the awards ceremony they decided to give me their club's UK NRA for traveling the farthest to shoot and for shooting the highest score and highest V bulls across 2 days.

Last thing the venue was the Blair Atholl, almost at the foothills of the Highlands. It is a beautiful range, predominant wind was from 2 and bounces off the aide of the mountain at low end of the range... tricky is an understatement. If you guys have a copy of this book, this is Blair Atholl Range.
View attachment 7095
That format sounds awesome! Really brings out the shooter's talents.

Thank you for the story. Keep em coming!

Bamban

Reaction score

Forum Sponsors