RimX Build with 20" Shillen 16 Twist

JamesJ

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I did a search for a thread similar to this, but it doesn't look like there has been one created recently or at least with the same questions I have.

I also know that it'll sound like I'm asking for the perfect blend of everything that doesn't exist, but I'm really just trying to narrow down my options. Here it goes...

Desires:
- Build a 22LR that I can get in some good practice for long-range shooting and hunting
- Possibly enter some PRS/NRL22 matches
- Have a high-end bolt gun that my kids can learn bolt-gun fundamentals on. My oldest is currently 9 that will be using it to start with and has only really used my semi-auto/single-shot/gas guns to date.

My LA hunting rifles are built on Manners LRH stocks and have single-stage TriggerTech Specials with flat shoes.
My SA PRS rifle is built on a Manners PRS-TCS and has a single-stage TriggerTech Diamond with flat shoe.

I don't have any true chassis setups, but have been wondering if I should get one this build for extra adjustability for the kiddos.

QUESTIONS:
- The barreled action I put in an order for is a RimX with 20" Shillen 16 Twist. It's ordered, but not started, so speak up if you think there's any red flags with this setup. :)
- Do you think I should stick with a SA stock since I'm heavily invested in them already, or would this be a good opportunity to try a chassis? Major pros/cons to either option?
- What stock or chassis to you recommend for this rifle?
- It looks like a lot of people are running two-stage TriggerTech Diamonds in their PRS/NRL22 style rifles. Do you think I'd regret going with a two-stage in this when the rest of my rifles are single-stage?

If you're still reading this, thank you for your time and consideration! Very much appreciated!

OSU Fisher

Reaction score
I have 2 rimX builds. They are twins. Both with bartlein barrels, TT diamond triggers, and Krg bravo chassis. I tried to keep it “budget” friendly a little and put them in Krg’s. I like them. Will they forever ride in them idk. Either way you go I don’t think you will be upset. These 22’s are sure fun to shoot and super accurate

JamesJ

Reaction score
Sweet! Yeah, I'm really looking forward to getting it all built and hitting the range.

matt_3479

Reaction score
As far as barrel and action go, there’s nothing wrong there. The only thing I’d personally change is 22” vs 20” and possibly look at 14 twist but that’s preference once again. A standard 16 twist is super easy and flat out works. The 22” will help with forward weight for balance purposes.

My next one will be a 14 twist switch barrel with a 10 twist, and going to try 24-26”

As far as stock/chassis and trigger go that is super personal preference. My shooting partner runs a rimx and a 360 and he runs 2 stage triggers and loves them. I on the other hand run a v22, 360 and deuce and I much prefer a single stage but that’s just what I’m use too. I like a flat shoe tt diamond personally but looking at trying bix soon.

As far as stocks vs chassis it’s what your use too. There is something nice about a chassis when it comes to adjustability with kids, folding options for hiking and travels, but for hunting they are COLD!!! I use both and like both, but took a while to get use to the chassis coming from stocks. I use more chassis now then stock but love both.

JamesJ

Reaction score
As far as barrel and action go, there’s nothing wrong there. The only thing I’d personally change is 22” vs 20” and possibly look at 14 twist but that’s preference once again. A standard 16 twist is super easy and flat out works. The 22” will help with forward weight for balance purposes.

My next one will be a 14 twist switch barrel with a 10 twist, and going to try 24-26”

As far as stock/chassis and trigger go that is super personal preference. My shooting partner runs a rimx and a 360 and he runs 2 stage triggers and loves them. I on the other hand run a v22, 360 and deuce and I much prefer a single stage but that’s just what I’m use too. I like a flat shoe tt diamond personally but looking at trying bix soon.

As far as stocks vs chassis it’s what your use too. There is something nice about a chassis when it comes to adjustability with kids, folding options for hiking and travels, but for hunting they are COLD!!! I use both and like both, but took a while to get use to the chassis coming from stocks. I use more chassis now then stock but love both.
Great info! This is exactly what I'm looking for. I know it's all up to me in the end, but good scoop and perspective is always appreciated!

Would you recommend a particular chassis if I go that route?

matt_3479

Reaction score
Great info! This is exactly what I'm looking for. I know it's all up to me in the end, but good scoop and perspective is always appreciated!

Would you recommend a particular chassis if I go that route?

I run mdt acc, mpa ba comp, krg whiskey 3 and krg bravo currently in chassis. I like
Something about each of them. The mdt with a 20” barrel looks stupid. I know it doesn’t affect it but there forend is so long it just looks odd. There chassis though
Is excellent.

The mpa ba comp grip is phenomenal! I love the hand placement and thumb shelf. I like the built in level and simplicity of it.

The krg whiskey 3 I have the most time behind so naturally it feels the best. It took the longest to learn to shoot as it was my first real chassis. They have a ton of aftermarket parts to customize it the way you want!

Honestly you couldn’t go wrong. I just wouldn’t do the acc with a 20” barrel as to me it just looks funny.

Forum Sponsors