Ridgeline -- 300 wsm --- anyone have one of these?

Bungi

Reaction score
In a recent post, I mentioned that I was considering a Mesa or a Ridgeline. Well ... I decided to go with a Ridgeline, since the thicker carbon barrel seems to also allow for some bench / target shooting. Also, it seems time to finally get a CF barrel.

I was wondering if anyone has a Ridgeline in 300 wsm?

I already have two .308 rifles, so I was thinking that a 300 WSM would be a good choice.
I have a bunch of H4350 powder, which I have read works well with 300 wsm.
Also, I was thinking that my large pile of 155 Lapua Scenars might possibly do well in a 300 WSM for long-range target

Those with a Ridgeline in 300wsm, have you experienced accurate results? Are you happy with the rifle?

Does the Ridgeline's CF barrel allow for some target shooting, or does it heat up pretty quick?

Finally, anyone ever use a 155 scenar in a 300WSM?

Thanks

FURMAN

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
I would not do a short action 300WSM. The bullets will be stuffed too far into the case. A 30 cal to shoot bullets under 200 grains makes absolutely zero sense. If you want to shoot 155 grains bullets get a PRC and shoot 156 Bergers. If you want to shoot 180s get a 7. If you want a 30 cal you need to be shooting over 200 to truly take advantage of the 30 cal.

Ladd

Reaction score
I had one. The 1st Gen Ridgeline. The top of the action resembled a Savage with scope mount hole spacing and screw size. The bottom was a Remington 700 footprint. Not my favorite CA Ridgeline. I bought it at Sportsmans Warehouse on the cheap. The only ammo I tried in it was HSM Trophy Grade with the 210 gr Berger VLD. It didn’t shoot well. I didn’t like how the bullet was so deep into the case and powder. I gave up and sold it on after about a month. The guy that bought it loves it.

If I had another CA Ridgeline in 300 wsm, I would extend the throat to maximize it. This would make this rifle a single shot. I agree with Ryan. I’d do this cartridge in a long action and take advantage of what the 300 wsm can do in it.

The Fierce Fury and Edge would be about the only factory 300 wsm offering in a long action that I can think of with a carbon wrapped barrel. The Carbon Fury is a bit more than the Ridgeline but it’s a sweet rifle. I did load development for a friend’s Carbon Fury 6.5 PRC and it was 1/2 moa as advertised. I have their CT Edge and really like it.

I’m a huge fan of the Christensen Arms Ridgeline though. Huge fan. Just not in the 300 wsm. A 300 win mag or 300 PRC in the Ridgeline would be my choice.

Last edited:

Bungi

Reaction score
Thank you both for taking the time to share your experiences. I will take a look at the 300 PRC and 300 win mag.

Perhaps my desire to use some of my 308 components in a 300 mag is not realistic.

It is just so darn difficult to find anything for reloading these days --- And I have a bunch of H4350 / IMR 4064 / Varget --- As well as a ton of the 155 scenars.

I was hoping to find a new mag cartridge that would allow me to use some of what I already have on hand... But reality is an important thing to keep in mind.

Thanks again

Last edited:

wtx

Reaction score
Bringing this thread back to life. Buddy wants me to load for his 300 WSM Ridgeline. Doing some research while he waits for components to come in. He was able to find 200 ELDX. Looking around and looks like CA short action mag box is about 2.9"? Seem correct? I'll go measure his today. Quick load showing 7828 and 560 as as good options at this length to get 2900 fps. Anyone have any thoughts or comments?

Ladd

Reaction score
The length of the box seams right. It limits the performance but a 200 gr at 2900 fps is good. I had my gunsmith install the 3.1” Wyatt’s Baney box in my CA Ridgeline 6.5 PRC. That would be an option to get a bit more performance.

wtx

Reaction score
The length of the box seams right. It limits the performance but a 200 gr at 2900 fps is good. I had my gunsmith install the 3.1” Wyatt’s Baney box in my CA Ridgeline 6.5 PRC. That would be an option to get a bit more performance.
Thanks @Ladd. Looks like we'll have 2.98" to play with. He won't be hard to please, just looking for some consistency compared to the junk ammo he's been getting a hold of (cough cough nosler "trophy grade" cough cough). Bless me there is something in the air today.

AKbirder300

Reaction score
I have this exact rifle, purchased in 2019 for my wife. She liked the green stock, carbon barrel, and traditional lines of the rifle more than anything else on the shelf. It’s quite handy and a fine factory hunting rifle, just don’t have unrealistic expectations. We run the 200 eld-x in hers using low quality Winchester brass that takes me forever to prep. However, Once I started turning the necks the rifle will shoot them into a solid .5 MOA group every time. Velocity is not great, but I’m using StaBall 6.5, which is not a great powder to begin with! I was gifted 5 lbs of it though, and now I can save my precious H1000 🤣

We’re right around 2800 fps. Using a TBAC ultra 7. This load has been enough to take out a caribou and a free range Buffalo so far, with one shot each but at less than 150 yards. She’s not a “long range” shooter so it’s a great gun for her.

I am currently building a 300 win mag with a longer throat, terminus Kratos lite and Manners eh5 for myself in case we need to take a bit longer poke, I will be running the 215 Berger or 212 eld-x.

I would say buy it if you’re content to live within the confines of a cramped WSM, but if you know you’ll never be happy just buy what you really want once and go for it.

Tuckermt

Reaction score
I also got a Ridgeline 300wsm for my wife. I would have preferred to build it in a long action but with time and money being an issue we just bought this factory rifle. We’ve been shooting factory loaded Hornady 200gr eldx and it shoots lights out. Easy .5 moa. With that kind of accuracy we’ve had no reason to work up a different load for it. As far as recoil, with a good brake, my wife, who is 5’2”, can shoot it no problem. And about the carbon barrel, I’m pretty sure there’s a video on here where they do a long shot string to test hot bore accuracy with a Ridgeline.

AKbirder300

Reaction score
I also got a Ridgeline 300wsm for my wife. I would have preferred to build it in a long action but with time and money being an issue we just bought this factory rifle. We’ve been shooting factory loaded Hornady 200gr eldx and it shoots lights out. Easy .5 moa. With that kind of accuracy we’ve had no reason to work up a different load for it. As far as recoil, with a good brake, my wife, who is 5’2”, can shoot it no problem. And about the carbon barrel, I’m pretty sure there’s a video on here where they do a long shot string to test hot bore accuracy with a Ridgeline.
Too funny! My wife is 5’4” and shoots with the thunderbeast brake adapter or suppressed. Either way recoil is non issue for her as well. Sounds like OP might need to get some 200 eld-x if he buys one. I tried hammers and terminal ascent factory ammo in her rifle before building the 200 ELDX load.

Forum Sponsors