Reloading 101: The Series From Ryan and Broz

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
This is the question and discussion thread for the new series Reloading 101. In this episode Ryan quickly goes over the basic components you will need to assemble a rifle cartridge. This is episode one of a new series Ryan and Broz will be doing here on the LRO website. This series will cover from basic getting started, to more advanced for the seasoned hand loaders.

To watch Episode one GO HERE
BSwyM1598544668.jpg

To watch episode 2 GO HERE

9XsMZ1609427749.jpg

Last edited:

Blobby159

Reaction score
Cool. I look forward to watching this.
SNAP!!
Doesn't matter HOW much I think I know there are ALWAYS useful elements that either I do not or that I have otherwise forgotten that I knew that can yet be useful to my reloading expertise....
Every day is a learning experience.

ATB ..... and shoot safely

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ladd

Reaction score
Good start to the series. In football or as you say elsewhere, futbol, we tell the kids to remember the basics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveGa

Reaction score
Is it OK to use a dry lube like Imperial to lube the inside of the case necks prior to full length resizing? I have always used a brush and resizing lube to do that, but since watching Boz lube the inside of case necks with the dry lube, wanted to ask the question. No way really to wipe off the inside of the case neck once the wet lube is brushed in.
Thanks, Steve

SteveGa

Reaction score
I am sorry. Meant to say "Broz", not "Boz".

Rjk300

Reaction score
I only use dry lube prior to loading powder charge then setting the bullet. I never personally lubed the inside of a case neck to size, didn’t see a reason to. I also tumble before and after sizing therefore I do not have sizing lube on the brass.

rfurman24

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
On once fired brass I prefer to just brush the inside of the neck. I have stopped cleaning brass with any method that cleans the carbon from inside the case.

SteveGa

Reaction score
I only use dry lube prior to loading powder charge then setting the bullet. I never personally lubed the inside of a case neck to size, didn’t see a reason to. I also tumble before and after sizing therefore I do not have sizing lube on the brass.
Thanks, sure appreciate your reply. Steve

SteveGa

Reaction score
On once fired brass I prefer to just brush the inside of the neck. I have stopped cleaning brass with any method that cleans the carbon from inside the case.
Thanks for the reply. Steve

Reaction score
What methods are you using to clean your brass? I have been wet tumbling my brass in stainless pins and there 0 carbon left over by the time they are out and dry.

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
What methods are you using to clean your brass? I have been wet tumbling my brass in stainless pins and there 0 carbon left over by the time they are out and dry.

I only clean when truly needed and I tumble in walnut media with nu finish.

Reaction score
I only clean when truly needed and I tumble in walnut media with nu finish.
How are you determining when cleaning is needed? Are you looking for excessive carbon buildup? How many firings are you getting on average before a cleaning is necessary?

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
How are you determining when cleaning is needed? Are you looking for excessive carbon buildup? How many firings are you getting on average before a cleaning is necessary?

Just looking at the case. I never clean base on what the inside of the case looks like. Using tumbling media will not remove much if any internal carbon.

SteveGa

Reaction score
Agreed. I keep an eye on the outside of the case neck. When it starts to look dirty, I clean. Several hours in the tumbler with rice and one shot. Just finished a couple hundred yesterday. They look better than brand new.

Forum Sponsors