Proper Form When Shooting with a Tripod Adapter

Desert Dan

Reaction score
I’ve been looking into adding a tripod rifle test adapter for hunting. The grassy terrain I hunt frequently prevents prone shots and since I already have a tripod for glassing it isn’t adding much weight to bring a QD tripod along to switch out the glass when the shot presents itself and I can’t go prone. I have watched a few videos about form shooting off a tripod but haven’t seen much that addresses how to support the butt of the rifle without torquing the shot from supporting too much weight with your firing hand when you can’t use a rear bag in a seated or kneeling position. Off hand under the butt maybe? Those with experience please share what works for you.
This is for a hunting scenario so the shots would be limited to 600 yards or so in case that makes a difference. As always thanks in advance for you insight.

Ladd

Reaction score
My friend with the busted up shoulder took his antelope last month at 600 something with his Proof Glacier TI locked on a tripod. I’m not sure exactly what kind it was but I could find out. His form looked like anyone shooting a rifle on top of a standing height bipod with a bit more automation. He looked to set it up, with assistance from his son, make sure the animal was unaware and broadside then it was really just grip it and rip it. It appeared all he really needed to do was pull the trigger. The stock was fully supported but the rifle was also light to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Desert Dan

Reaction score
Good deal. Was it the kind that attached to the tripod with an ARCA rail or clamp like a Tri-Clawps or was it more of V-notch?
Sounds good tho. I read a tip from Gunwerks recommending holding a trekking pole with your non-firing hand against you shoulder so when you shoulder the rifle on a tripod for a shot, the bottom of the gun is supported by your closed hand and the pole (hope that makes sense).

Ladd

Reaction score
Good deal. Was it the kind that attached to the tripod with an ARCA rail or clamp like a Tri-Clawps or was it more of V-notch?
Sounds good tho. I read a tip from Gunwerks recommending holding a trekking pole with your non-firing hand against you shoulder so when you shoulder the rifle on a tripod for a shot, the bottom of the gun is supported by your closed hand and the pole (hope that makes sense).
Text from my buddy...

Bog Deathgrip. It’s really stable and not very expensive. BUT, my tripod for my spotting scope is much much nicer to operate. If I could get the gun vice head only and put it on that tripod, that would be the ultimate. My spotter tripod is made by Really Right Stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Desert Dan

Reaction score
Ok cool. Since I already have the tripod I might go with the Outdoorsmans rifle test. Doesn’t clamp but the two point contact seems to work well. The other option is the Tri-Clawps but either way seems like the form isn’t affected much as long as you use good technique and get some practice in. Thanks again Ladd.

NorCal_In_AZ

Reaction score
Take your pack and set the button the rifle on it, like a really big rear bag. I also find the pack let’s you steady your body against it too.

waveslayer

Reaction score
Shooting off a tripod is an art form. Use Arca mounts for sure, get a RRS SOAR tripod and Anvil 30 head.

Depending if you are hunting or ELR you have several ways to shoot off a tripod. ELR I use a QD sling that has a carabiner so I can attach it to my belt. Use one lef to help reduce recoil, etc. Hard to write out since I'm lazy. Good book by Marcus Blanchard the pioneer of positional shooting.

my wife thinks I only have 3 guns

waveslayer

Reaction score
Can a RRS tripod also be used for binos easily? And is an Arca rail easy to install?
Oh yeah! I have arca mounts mounted to my bino holders that Swarovski sells, they make one too (RRS), I have an arca on my spotting scope, I installed an arca rail on my hunting gun on the stock.

Best decision and piece of gear I own!

JoshHaker

Reaction score
What is the accuracy like shooting off a tripod?

When looking at the RRS what is the recommended tripod for glassing and shooting from? Seems the anvil 30 is the best head. Is the arca the best rail vs picatinny for just in front of magazine?

Could the usefulness of a tripod replace bringing a bipod? If shots were under a given distance?

Desert Dan

Reaction score
The RRS is not in my budget this year but I do have a very good tripod. I picked up a hunters wedge and a Phoenix shooting bags TBD so I will probably still get a tripod rest which should cover a very wide range of shooting scenarios.

waveslayer

Reaction score

When looking at the RRS what is the recommended tripod for glassing and shooting from? Seems the anvil 30 is the best head. Is the arca the best rail vs picatinny for just in front of magazine?

Could the usefulness of a tripod replace bringing a bipod? If shots were under a given distance?
The Anvil 30 allows you to use Arca or Picatinny rails.. so either or for you. Which is a benefit for the Anvil 30. As for height, get what meets your needs. I did the 2 section tripod, if you have time you can get into prone with it. But depends on time. If the animal is bedded then yes you can eliminate a bipod for sure. Seated works good too if you practice positional shooting

hereinaz

Reaction score

Hope this helps. I am a convert to tripod shooting. I got to shoot with a buddy who is a pro and instructor. He laid out some principles of tripod shooting and I have never looked back.

I can shoot sub moa groups off my tripod at distance in some positions. In other less stable positions I would shoot to 500.

The Anvil 30 is hands down the best ball head for shooting. I run a Feisol tripod right now, but will eventually upgrade to a RRS tripod. In the videos, I still had my cheap Amazon tripod and ball head. You don't need fancy, but man it makes it so much easier.

I run an Arca rail peice in front of my mag well, just in front of the balance point. I want the rifle rear heavy.

I have a picatinny rail on the front for a bipod, but I eliminated the bipod because I can shoot in practically any field position off a tripod. The weight I added from my glassing tripod I have saved by leaving the bipod at home.

I shot my elk at 590 this year seated off my tripod. I shot my Sitka at 575 last year. The video shows the shot and explains one tripod position that I use whenever I can. It is as stable as prone for me. One video shows shooting a group at 500 yards in the same position as proof that the Sitka was no lucky shot. The other video has footage of me shooting from the position.

WiscGunner

Reaction score
To the OP, Running an Arca clamp setup is way steadier than running a tripod rest (v type) hands down. If you are inclined to run a v-type rest for hunting simply crossing a pair of trekking poles with the straps provides a very stable setup at no additional weight to your pack. While not as stable or adaptable as a sturdy tripod and arca clamp this likely sturdier than many cheap tripods. Running your pack vertical under the butt of the rifle provides great rear support. Throwing a bag like a GameChanger or Fortune cookie on top of the tripod works well too and can be faster to deploy and adjust than a clamp system but not as steady.

I would highly recommend researching proper tripod techniques and practicing them. There are many different techniques and methods to learn and try but each have their pro's and con's. Bags, slings, hand placement, rifle position, hanging packs, tripod leg positions, etc. There is a lot of info on this out there from numerous sources on forums and Youtube, primarily for PRS/NRL shooting that directly translate to hunting. There is very little good hunting sources, imho, for these modern techniques. highly recommend following Phil Velayo or Caylen Wojcik. The Everyday Sniper and Modern Day Sniper podcasts are great resources as well if you need something to listen to on the road.

When looking into tripods, get more weight rating than you think you need as this greatly adds to the stability of the tripod. Obviously it is a trade off between range stability and hunting portability. I have a Feisol 3342 and RSS leveling base that works great. Not as steady as a bigger tripod but far steadier than the cheaper tripods my buddies run for glassing. RRS is where it is at if you have the budget but here are other great options out there from PVA, Feisol, Leofoto and others. HERE is a really good thread about tripods and heads.

For comparison the Feisol 3372 (bigger diameter legs) has a load rating of 66lbs and a weight of 3.86lbs while the 3342 has a load rating of 55lbs and a weight of 2.58lbs. The Comp-40 from PVA (if still available) has a load rating of 110lbs and a weight of 5.5lbs. The SlikDX700Pro has a load rating of 19.8lbs and a weight of 5.5lbs but only costs $100 or less. Cheap but great for rifle stability of hunting weight. The people at HogSaddle have a couple of budget options to consider. Their Pig0311 has a load rating of 26lbs and weight of 5.6lbs and their carbon version has a load rating of 24lbs and a weight of 3.6lbs.

Stability of the tripod is crucial for longer shots, resists wind vibration just like in glassing and allows more loading to help with roil managment to spot shots. Accessories like spike feet can also really change how a tripod behaves when shooting, just like with a bipod.

waveslayer

Reaction score
Waveslayer how long is the arca mount on your stock? Can you post a pic?
It is 3". I am in Texas and will be back home soon and can take a pic if you still want one

hereinaz

Reaction score
I showed a young man how to shoot my rifle seated off a tripod in deer camp on a Friday night. He dry fired and got the feel for it. On Saturday, he shot a coues buck at 730 yards.

He missed high cause of buck fever on the firsr shot, the buck stood up and he drilled him. The buck went 30ish yards and laid down. He drilled him a second time. Both were lethal.

Forum Sponsors