Prefit doesn’t fit

Dood

Reaction score
I got my kid a proof carbon prefit for his tikka for Christmas. The barrel is chambered in 6.5 prc. Out of the box the barrel looks awesome however when we spun the barrel on the bolt would not close. We didn’t even torque it to spec. Just spun it on to take a look and the bolt failed to close. It seems to me to be a head space issue. Any thoughts? Am I missing something? Thanks
Josh

Hunt West

Reaction score
Bolt won’t close with or without a round in the chamber?

Hunt West

Reaction score
Sounds like the tenon could be a little long. I think the tenon length is about .980” IIRC

Dood

Reaction score
With my calipers I’m getting more somewhere in the area of .999 for a tennon length. Will it effect my chamber if I have a smith remove that much material from the tennon?

Spreedizzle

Reaction score
Ya paid for a very nice barrel that is designed to contain a fairly substantial explosion going off next to your face……ya….call Proof and get it 100%. ;)

Dood

Reaction score
Copy, thanks for the advice fellas. I’ll give them a call. I got the barrel from evolved ballistics. They were great getting it to me. Hopefully they will continue with the good service. I’ll advise

Dood

Reaction score
Talked to proof and they emailed me a ups slip. They had me send the barrel and action to them. Great service!

ABC1000

Reaction score
Interesting. I was just talking to a buddy today about our twin semi custom tikkas in 6creedmoor (I know cute 🥰 right??) which are mated to the actions… I was wondering how the prefit option would work on tikkas as all I buy anymore are Bighorns. Please keep us informed as I was just planning on my first tikka prefit as I’ve done savage and Bighorn/Zermatt prefit and shouldered prefits up to this point.

dennisinaz

Reaction score
Just got my very first prefit ( I do all my own work normally but didn't have a 338 Norma reamer) it was a Mausingfield action and PBB prefit. The headspace was perfect. Very impressed with both ARC and PBB

Dood

Reaction score
I sent the barrel back and they double checked their measurements. Their barre was spot on on. It was my action that was slightly off. I got it all worked out and the barrel is a shooter. My kids took his dirt mule deer with it this year.

Dood

Reaction score
I had purchased the rifle off of a guy and I believe he had it blue printed. I doing so they changed the factory specs

dennisinaz

Reaction score
If he had i rebarreled, he probably messed with the action. Tikkas have the tapers at the barrel abutments

Forum Sponsors