Overview and set up Applied Ballistics 5700 by Daniel Brozovich

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
In this thread we can ask questions and discuss the overview and review of the Applied Ballistics / Accuracy 1st Development Group Kestrel 5700 by LRO fiels editor Daniel Brozovich aka (Long Shot 06)

This is the first of a series of many video's on use and set up of this unit.

So feel free to ask specific questions or suggest future video coverage.

Go HERE to watch the first video review.

dah605

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Excellent work Daniel! I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

I believe smoa and iphy are the same thing (1" at 100 yards). The numbers matched up with 5.68 on the Kestrel and 5.7 in Shooter.

-David

Daniel

Vice President
Staff member
Reaction score
Excellent work Daniel! I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

I believe smoa and iphy are the same thing (1" at 100 yards). The numbers matched up with 5.68 on the Kestrel and 5.7 in Shooter.

-David

That's a very good point! I actually went in and changed that setting on my Shooter app and it did give me the 5.7 MOA drop. Good catch!

Eaglet

Reaction score
Yup! I googled it cause I just hate the expression "SMOA", here are the results proving you guys right.

IPHY (Inch Per Hundred Yards): Shooters often round off the MOA value of 1.047 inches per hundred yards to 1 inch, but that starts to create a significant error at longer ranges. Thus, IPHY was invented and is sometimes called the shooter's MOAor SMOA.

JeffVN

ELR Field Editor
Reaction score
thank you for the informative video. Can you answer one question for me (based upon your Kestrel 5700). You mentioned in the video that the wind meter has some Applied Ballistics custom drag models pre-installed for some bullets. Are any of the various Flatline bullets (7mm, 30 cal., 338) included in the custom drag model area, or are the Flatline's just referenced for use with either G1 or G7 as supplied by Flatline? I hope that made sense.

I don't have or currently use Applied Ballistics as a ballistic calculator or in a Kestrel Wind meter.

JeffVN

JeffVN

ELR Field Editor
Reaction score
Sorry for doubling up on the questions, but I missed this information if you mentioned it. Was your Kestrel 5700 the blue tooth version? I'm wondering how often that feature would actually be used in the field?

JeffVN

Daniel

Vice President
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry for doubling up on the questions, but I missed this information if you mentioned it. Was your Kestrel 5700 the blue tooth version? I'm wondering how often that feature would actually be used in the field?

JeffVN

first question for the custom drag models, they are adding more and more seems monthly now, I would have to check to see if specifically the "flatline" has been done yet, maybe DOC can chime in here also

and yes this is a Bluetooth unit that how is syncs to the phone app this is the "elite" model

JeffVN

ELR Field Editor
Reaction score
Thanks for the fast responses. I look for ward to DOC's answer to the Flat Line bullets / Custom Drag Curve question.

JeffVN

Daniel

Vice President
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the fast responses. I look for ward to DOC's answer to the Flat Line bullets / Custom Drag Curve question.

JeffVN

I reached out to Doc, he tells me they did include flatline so its in there

Forum Sponsors