Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 Review

rfurman24

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Reaction score
Over the next few months I will be shooting with the Nightforce NX8 4-32 F1. Once I feel I have collected enough data and fired enough shots to have a good feel for the scope I will be putting together a video review. Please post any specific questions in this thread and I will try to address them in the final review.

Update 12/30/19 See full REVIEW HERE

Last edited by a moderator:

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
one thing out of the norm would be the shorter tube and what that does in terms of mounting and eye relief. There has been some speculation on this. But looks like you were fine here.

Jeff

rfurman24

Reaction score
I will make sure to address those issues but yes, this would have no problem on an extended rail.

Last edited:

MILEPOST

Reaction score
Ryan,

Are you running this scope with a MOAR reticle?

Broz

Reaction score
Any feedback on this scope yet?
Ryan probably has way more experience with the 4~32 than I by now, but I am running one on my 6.5 prc. And I shot several over 3 days at the Nightforce launch event a few months back. I feel they are a great option.

Like many here, I would prefer a SFP version, but until then I will run the FFP.

Also I see some friends that bought one, then ordered a second one or two. That is always a good sign.

Jeff

rfurman24

Reaction score
Any feedback on this scope yet?
I have not gotten serious about tracking or putting the glass on an optics chart but I am falling in love with this scope. I did some quick non scientific tracking and it performed as expected. I will get some true tracking testing later. The reticle is great. If you like the MOAR you will most likely like this. This FFP is more usable than many at low power. The turrets are nicer than the NXS. I like the capped windage turret but wish they made a beauty ring to cover the threads for those who do not wish to run the cap on the windage turret. The windage turret itself is basically a mini turret and will be very functional for those who do not want capped turrets. I like the size and I appreciate the 3-4oz savings over the NXS. I know it is not much but to me every one counts. I did not think I would appreciate the NF throw lever but after using it I am not sure I every want to be without again. It really is in the details and as usual I think Nightforce nailed it. The eyebox may be a little tight at 32x but it is to be expected and with it being FFP if you do not like it you can always dial down to a power that suits you while maintaining the same reticle subtensions.

Plus just look at it...

Last edited:

aron.fisk

Reaction score
Over the next few months I will be shooting with the NX8 4-32. Once I feel I have collected enough data and fired enough shots to have a good feel for the scope I will be putting together a video review. Please post any specific questions in this thread and I will try to address them in the final review.
Any update to the NX8?

rfurman24

Reaction score
Loving it. I will be working on putting the video together soon.

rfurman24

Reaction score
It is supposed to have the same exact glass but it is not "optimized" for the NX8 as it is for the ATACR. In use it is not quit as nice but still very good.

Broz

Reaction score
Correct. To totally optimize the ED glass like the ATACR, it would need a longer scope body, but it is the same glass. So you supposedly give something up with the NX8 and its short body. But Like Ryan said, it is very good glass.

Jeff

Greyfox

Reaction score
A characteristic of my ATAC-R F1’s(used for PRS), as well as similar reports from shooters from various sites is that the reticle/sight picture jumps when adjusting the magnification setting. Not sure whether this occurs with all the F1’s. While this doesn’t effect accuracy since the reticle and sight picture are in the same plane, it’s annoying and should not occur with A quality FFP scope. About a year ago, NF service acknowledged this, and the response was, “This doesn’t effect accuracy/precision”. I have found that it’s not so visibly noticeable while shooting, and I learned to live with this given my “overall” high satisfaction with the F1’s. I was wondering if NF addressed this anomaly with the NX8 product line If present, it can be most easily observed powering up and down against a solid/light background.

rfurman24

Reaction score
A characteristic of my ATAC-R F1’s(used for PRS), as well as similar reports from shooters from various sites is that the reticle/sight picture jumps when adjusting the magnification setting. Not sure whether this occurs with all the F1’s. While this doesn’t effect accuracy since the reticle and sight picture are in the same plane, it’s annoying and should not occur with A quality FFP scope. About a year ago, NF service acknowledged this, and the response was, “This doesn’t effect accuracy/precision”. I have found that it’s not so visibly noticeable while shooting, and I learned to live with this given my “overall” high satisfaction with the F1’s. I was wondering if NF addressed this anomaly with the NX8 product line If present, it can be most easily observed powering up and down against a solid/light background.
I have never noticed this. I will have to look for it and report.

rfurman24

Reaction score
I just looked through my ATACR and NX8. I can not see what you/they are talking about.

I will spend more time looking for this next time out shooting.

Reaction score
The very first ATACR F1 I had did exactly this. I never noticed it while using it but the guy that bought it from me was concerned it was broken. It was strange to see once he pointed it out, but it didn't bother me because my rifle is never 100% solid when I'm changing the magnification so I don't notice it when actually using the scope.

Greyfox

Reaction score
I just looked through my ATACR and NX8. I can not see what you/they are talking about.

I will spend more time looking for this next time out shooting.
If it’s present in the scopes your are checking, it quite easy to see against a solid wall using a solid rifle support. As the magnification is raised and lowered, you can see the reticle/sight picture “jump” as the direction of magnification is changed.

rfurman24

Reaction score
I felt pretty sold. I am not sure I can get more solid without putting the scope on a scope checker platform but I will look some more on multiple occasions. Honestly I am not sure I really want to know if it is in fact present. In this case maybe the saying ignorance is bliss holds true. LOL!

Greyfox

Reaction score
I felt pretty sold. I am not sure I can get more solid without putting the scope on a scope checker platform but I will look some more on multiple occasions. Honestly I am not sure I really want to know if it is in fact present. In this case maybe the saying ignorance is bliss holds true. LOL!
I suspect your scopes do not display the problem. It’s pretty noticeable. Perhaps they corrected it. As mentioned, in my original post, this effect did not effect performance, and was far less noticeable(if at all) in the field or in competition. Nightforce was well aware of the issue and I suspect they took action to correct it.

rfurman24

Reaction score
You've piqued my curiosity.

NC_Surveyor

Reaction score
my atacr f1 does not display the magnification jumping. It was one of the later reticle designs so they might have fixed it by then. C579 reticle.

very interested in this nx8 review.

jmden

Reaction score
Thanks for the great video review, Ryan. Should be a great hunting scope. I'm sure I'll be in the market at some point.

I wonder if NF will consider a 3-24x F2 version. That would cover the bases really well where 20x might leave you wanting, but 32x is too much.

lbirch

Reaction score
Very nice review. I might like the NX8 after having a couple Vortex AMGs. The weight is similar and I too like the 1 moa reticle marks at any power. The NX8 might be a good replacement for my two AMGs. The NXS has been so good though, the one I always come back to. NXS or NX8?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigbulls

Reaction score
Great review Ryan. A couple of questions for anybody in the know. I have owned a couple of Schmidt and Bender scopes and they were great but I just didn't like the first focal reticle as it would get so fine when turning the power down for timber/close up use. How is the reticle in the Nightforce scopes? Is it any thicker? I ended up going to the Zeiss V6 line and they have worked great but I would like to try a Nightforce. Do any of you guys know when the NX8 might come out in second focal plane?

SierraJoe

Reaction score
Great review Ryan. A couple of questions for anybody in the know. I have owned a couple of Schmidt and Bender scopes and they were great but I just didn't like the first focal reticle as it would get so fine when turning the power down for timber/close up use. How is the reticle in the Nightforce scopes? Is it any thicker? I ended up going to the Zeiss V6 line and they have worked great but I would like to try a Nightforce. Do any of you guys know when the NX8 might come out in second focal plane?
I use the S&B 3-20x50 PM II with the PL4 Fine reticle extensively, and have for 4 years or so. I now use the NX8 2.5-20x50 on my hunting rifle and would say the center section of the reticles (cross hairs) seem like they are very similar in size. Said another way, the cross hairs are difficult to see on low magnification for both scopes. I hope this helps.

Joe

Choovhntr

Reaction score
I too am curious about the reticle at 2.5 on this scope. I currently have a 5.5-22x nxs with the MOART on my rifle, and would like the lower 2.5 power setting for timber. How would the moart reticle compare to the nx8 at 2.5 power being front focal plane? Thanks for any help.

rfurman24

Reaction score
The reticle is more usable than many at lower power but is still very small. The illuminated reticle would help with this but I’m not sure you want to still hunt for hours with it on.

Choovhntr

Reaction score
The reticle is more usable than many at lower power but is still very small. The illuminated reticle would help with this but I’m not sure you want to still hunt for hours with it on.
Thank you. May have to wait for the sfp version to make any switches.

kickinback

Reaction score
If you’re going to make a video of something black please dont stand behind it wearing a black shirt.

Apart from that thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rfurman24

Reaction score
If you’re going to make a video of something black please dont stand behind it wearing a black shirt.

Apart from that thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LOL! Fair enough and duly noted.

ShtrRdy

Reaction score
Thanks for the nice review Ryan. I was wondering if the field of view started to collapse as the magnification was at a minimum? In other words did the view get a thicker black ring at minimum magnification?

rfurman24

Reaction score
Yes, the NX8 and ATACR have black rings around the reticle at minimum power. It is not vignetting just part of the scope.

sam

Reaction score
Ryan - good review thanks

I am wondering about reticle usability at lowest power. I have checked out the NX8 2.5 - 20 and for my aging eyes on 2.5 the reticle is just not clear enough. Based on this I was going to wait for the SFP. However, your review brought up a great point. I have found situations where, because of mirage or light conditions, that higher powers are not usable - especially above 25X or so. With the NX8 4-32 one can shoot at 18-25 and still have subtensions work. So the question is on 4 X does the MOAR reticle usable? I know this is subjective so how does it compare to the NX8 2.5-20 on 2.5 power? If it is "good enough" it may make the 4-32 a good option.

Appreciate your feedback Sam

rfurman24

Reaction score
Ryan - good review thanks

I am wondering about reticle usability at lowest power. I have checked out the NX8 2.5 - 20 and for my aging eyes on 2.5 the reticle is just not clear enough. Based on this I was going to wait for the SFP. However, your review brought up a great point. I have found situations where, because of mirage or light conditions, that higher powers are not usable - especially above 25X or so. With the NX8 4-32 one can shoot at 18-25 and still have subtensions work. So the question is on 4 X does the MOAR reticle usable? I know this is subjective so how does it compare to the NX8 2.5-20 on 2.5 power? If it is "good enough" it may make the 4-32 a good option.

Appreciate your feedback Sam

I am going to say if you find 2.5 unusable in the 2.5-20 you will find the same with the 4x in the 4-32. These scopes prove the saying there is no free lunch. I think the lowest power I have ever shot an animal was a coyote on 5.5 with and nxs. The next was an antelope on 8x. I myself would rather give up some on the low end to get the 32x and the FFP with the ability to maintain sub tensions on 20x if the mirage is too much. I think for situations like calling coyotes the 2.5x or the 4x will be very usable. It will be less so in dark timber. I will say from my minimal experience in those dark timber situations the light is so little that I really don't see the SFP giving you a much better picture as the lack of light still drowns out the reticle. For my use this would be the one situation I may actually use the illuminated reticle. I will repeat I do think this is one of the better ffp reticles I have seen on low power.

Theodoreh

Reaction score
Hello, How is the nx8 eyebox and fov compared to atacr?

My experience is limited by using only sightron s3 6-24x50. I compared S3 to nxs at Cabelas. The nxs eyebox, fov and image quality is similar to Sightron s3.

Last weekend was the first time I looked at an atacr. Just from inside cabelas, looking at opposite wall and reading letters. The eye box, fov and image quality shocked me. Big improvement.

Again, How does the eyebox on a nx8 (@~22.3x50mm) eyebox/fov compare against atacr (@~25x56mm)? The power/scope objective was for apple to apple comparison.

Thanks for the video review.

rfurman24

Reaction score
I don't think you can get a good "feel" for eye relief or "eye box") in a store with the scope not mounted. Sometimes the guys that are complaining of poor eye relief are only missing .25-.3 inches. If you mount the scope properly and have a good repeatable cheek weld this should never be an issue nor should the "eye box". The F1 SHV does have a little less eye relief. The SFP SHVs are the same as the rest of the NF line. The SIII is almost identical. In my experience "poor eye boxes" come from higher magnifications and higher zoom ratios. I would say the eye box on the NX8 is smaller than the ATACR but again it's a non issue for me. I will say anecdotally no one on the net is complaining about the NX8 like they do with the Marchs. Field of view is largely effected by magnification so it makes an apples to apples comparison more difficult. I can try to remember to pay attention next time I take both scopes out.

Forum Sponsors