Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 MOAR Review Thread

rfurman24

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
I will be reviewing the Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 MOAR over the next few months. Please ask any specific questions you may have. As you may know we just finished the review on its big brother so mostly it will be the differences.
w4YJDDgl.jpg

youngbuck

Reaction score
I would like to know if the more compact scope gives up anything besides max magnification. The 2.5-20 NX8 has a good chance of ending up on my new build.

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
That will require some time behind the scope. Stay tuned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dave Wilson

Reaction score
my question is...with an 8X erector, how big does the reticle get on max power and conversely, how usable is it on low power? is the SFP version out yet? lol

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
I find it very usable at both ends for hunting purposes. If I were target shooting only I may want the moart instead. On the lower end, I don’t use low power so I may not be the best guy to say. It seems to me like you could get on an animal quickly. If I were still hunting in dark timber I’d turn on illumination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

aron.fisk

Reaction score
One pitfall ive read on the 2.5-20 is the lack of eyebox relief. Could you compare that to its big brother? Besides the obvious changes (magnification, size, weight) would be very useful. Do you think the more compact size could really himder mounting as well?
Thanks Ryan

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
The eye relief is the same on both at 3.5". I personally feel those who whine about eye relief don't know how to set up a scope on a rifle correctly or they do not have a consistent cheek weld. I have used many scopes that many complain about such at the March 2.5-25 and 3-24 with zero issues. When I get this mounted and get to shooting it I will try to pay special attention but I just don't see me having a problem in that department.

Ladd

Reaction score
Great review. Was able to sell on my Vortex AMGs and ordered me the NX8 4-32x50mm. Can’t wait. Think it will go on my 300 win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ladd

Reaction score
My new Nightforce NX8 4-32x50mm came today. It’s sure nice. Just in time for a little cheer. Can’t wait to put it on my 300 win mag.

After using the AMGs for a couple years I’ve grown to like FFP.

strawman

Reaction score
Any updates on the 2.5-20x50? Is the review out yet? I couldn't find anything. Thanks in advance.

6.5sandoz

Reaction score
A comparison between the mark 5 3.6-18 and the nx8 2.5-20 would be interesting. Obviously theres a difference in magnification and objective yet i find them simular for my purposes of being mounted to a lightweight backpack rifle.

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
A comparison between the mark 5 3.6-18 and the nx8 2.5-20 would be interesting. Obviously theres a difference in magnification and objective yet i find them simular for my purposes of being mounted to a lightweight backpack rifle.
I currently have them both and that will happen. I have not had a lot of time to shoot the 20x NX8 due to other more pressing testing. I will try to get back to it after bear season.

JayAdventures

Reaction score
I currently have them both and that will happen. I have not had a lot of time to shoot the 20x NX8 due to other more pressing testing. I will try to get back to it after bear season.

This is the information I would like to know

Ladd

Reaction score
I know where you can get a demo of this in MOAR for $1799. I’m tempted to put this on my CVA Paramount.

pinkes

Reaction score
My new Nightforce NX8 4-32x50mm came today. It’s sure nice. Just in time for a little cheer. Can’t wait to put it on my 300 win mag.

After using the AMGs for a couple years I’ve grown to like FFP.

How do you rate the NX8 vs AMG glass and overall? Im set on getting a NX8 4-32..just want to reassure myself.;)

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
I have not looked at them side by side but have looked at the AMG side by side with the ATACR and the AMG was probably slightly better than the ATACR so it will be better than the NX8. You do know the Tommy boy saying correct? I don't see myself ever owning another Vortex product again. Glass is NEVER going to make you miss an animal. Poor tracking or mechanical failures will.

Clayton

Reaction score
I'm stuck between the NX8 and the Mark 5HD. Really can't decide. I've been behind a mark 5 before and the turrets were phenomenal, but have never messed with a NF. If you had to have one, which one would yall choose? This would be one of my nicer scopes, other than the mark 5 I have been behind my only real experience with high end scopes in my vortex razor which is on my range rifle. Thanks.

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm stuck between the NX8 and the Mark 5HD. Really can't decide. I've been behind a mark 5 before and the turrets were phenomenal, but have never messed with a NF. If you had to have one, which one would yall choose? This would be one of my nicer scopes, other than the mark 5 I have been behind my only real experience with high end scopes in my vortex razor which is on my range rifle. Thanks.
Easily Nightforce for me. Not even close.

Ladd

Reaction score
Nightforce NXS, NX8 and ATACR are all I have and will have for the foreseeable future. Currently the NX8 4-32x50 is my fave.

cgibble

Reaction score
If you had to pick between nx8 2.5-20, atacr 4-16, or new atacr 4-20 for a lighter weight long range hunt rifle which way would you lean? Not so much worried about cost but I can’t decide if larger and higher end atacr is worth Is the extra weight? Also I’ve read the nx8 has a pickier eye box compared to atacr? Reason I ask is because my kids will be hunting with this rifle and I find eye box for starters is a little more important
Thanks for the awesome reviews

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
If you had to pick between nx8 2.5-20, atacr 4-16, or new atacr 4-20 for a lighter weight long range hunt rifle which way would you lean? Not so much worried about cost but I can’t decide if larger and higher end atacr is worth Is the extra weight? Also I’ve read the nx8 has a pickier eye box compared to atacr? Reason I ask is because my kids will be hunting with this rifle and I find eye box for starters is a little more important
Only you can decide if the ATACR is worth the extra weight. It is a better scope. Both the NX8 and the ATACR would serve you well. I would go with the 4-20 ATACR to help your kids' get a quicker sight picture. I will be doing a review on the ATACR 4-20 I have as soon as I have some spare time(is there such a thing?).

OSOK - Crash

Reaction score
There is a member here on LRO selling an ATACR 4-16. If you decide on this one, you may give him a shout.

bigripper

Reaction score
Great review, how was mounting on a LA? looks like it barely fits. do you see limited mounting options as a negative with the 2.5-20? Thanks

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
Great review, how was mounting on a LA? looks like it barely fits. do you see limited mounting options as a negative with the 2.5-20? Thanks
The mounting on any compact scope such as the 2.5-20 NX8 is always limited. I do find it can be a negative depending on your setup. It worked fine for me mounting on the long AntiX.

LongshotJames

Reaction score
I have not been a big fan of FFP scopes for hunting in dark timber like going to or from my longrange shooting location. In low light up close how visible are the reticles if you dont have the illumination on?
Thanks
James

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
I have not been a big fan of FFP scopes for hunting in dark timber like going to or from my longrange shooting location. In low light up close how visible are the reticles if you dont have the illumination on?
Thanks
James
If you really feel like you are going to be doing jump shots in dark timber I don't feel any FFP is the way to go. I do not hunt that way.

Forum Sponsors