New Rifle.. Christiansen or Fierce?

tommy1984

Reaction score
Looking to purchase a new rifle and could really use some input on what I should spend money on..

Im looking at the Christiansen arms Ridge line or Traverse along with the Fierce Carbon Edge.

The gun will likely me in a .300 win mag and used for deer/elk, I do live out east but with the abundance of reclaimed strip mines here, theres plenty of places where a person can get a 1000 yard shot.

I do have a browning stainless stalker in .300 wsm, but at 500 yards the groups open up to the point I would not shoot at game past that and I want a rifle that can reliably bang steal and game out to 1,000 yds.

I like the VX-5hd on my browning so may go with a vx-6hd on the new rifle..

Out of those 3, choices which would you go with?

Oh, on the Traverse, Is the picatinny rail removable? I have large fingers so would like to use 2 piece mounts instead of the single piece.

Tommy

DropTines

Reaction score
I can’t speak to Fierce but there are many many happy CA fans on here so I think you can buy with confidence there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
The only differences between the Traverse and the Ridgeline is the Traverse has a raised cheek piece comb, enlarged bolt knob, comes with a removable 0 moa rail and had the upgraded side port CA brake. These upgrades total about .9 lbs of weight over the Ridgeline. Both rifles in 300 win mag, good loads and good bullets would be capable rifles at 1000 yards with a good skill set. I have owned and shot both extensively and they are great rifles.

I have No comment on the Fierce.

Jeff

Last edited:

Lapuafan

Reaction score
Christensen arms all the way... I own 4 elr man o man they are shooters.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

tommy1984

Reaction score
Thanks for chiming In. If you were to pick between the ridgeline and traverse which would it be? Personally I would do away with the front accessory rail as well as the single piece mount and go 2 piece. So the only benefit I would see is the stock right? Is that worth the extra $$$$ or something $20 strap on check rest would fix if I needed it?

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
Thanks for chiming In. If you were to pick between the ridgeline and traverse which would it be? Personally I would do away with the front accessory rail as well as the single piece mount and go 2 piece. So the only benefit I would see is the stock right? Is that worth the extra $$$$ or something $20 strap on check rest would fix if I needed it?
The side port brake is very nice shooting prone. We upgraded all our ridgelines to them. I prefer the added strength of the rail mount and less stress transferred into the scope tube. But plenty of people use two piece.

gpowell

Reaction score
Not much love for Fierce on this forum? I've shot quite a few and prefer them over the CAs that I've shot. Machining finish is noticeably better on the fierce, I find the CAs to be crudely finished and the bolt throw is atrocious. Accuracy is a wash between the two, I'd put them both in your hands before making a decision.

Lapuafan

Reaction score
The side port brake is very nice shooting prone. We upgraded all our ridgelines to them. I prefer the added strength of the rail mount and less stress transferred into the scope tube. But plenty of people use two piece.
Just wish Ridgeline had a bigger bolt knob like the elr.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

wildcat455

Reaction score
Not sure if you've made your purchase yet or not, but ill add what I have on the subject.
I have a Ridgeline and a Fierce CT Edge, both in 300 win mag. I like the action better on the Fierce, and the Fierce is a little lighter than the Ridgeline, but not sure that'll justify the price difference for you. My Fierce also seems to have a slightly longer throat than my Ridgeline. (.012" longer) But both rifles are throated long enough to run heavy for caliber bullets in the 200 grain + range.
This may only make a difference if you intend to hand load for the rifle.

As far as bang for your buck, the Christensen is tough to beat.

I have no regrets with either rifle, the Fierce I set up for a lightweight rifle for long days carrying. Weighs 7.5 pounds scoped. The Ridgeline as currently configured is 8.5. Believe it or not, it's noticeable. I can shoot long with either, but do prefer heavier rifles for extended sessions of long range shooting. Both the Ridgeline and Fierce are dedicated hunting rifles for me, and only get shot at long range steel/targets to verify drops, etc.

For your stated purpose, and of the 2 rifles I personally have experience with for "reliably banging steel and game out to 1000 yards", I think the Ridgeline is a better fit for you, depending on how long you intend to sit behind the rifle, and how recoil sensitive you are. Heavier may actually be a little better if you don't have to carry it too far in your shooting scenarios.
I still think the Sendero is about the best compromise LR steel and hunting rig.

Besides, it would seem you already have a lightweight rifle in your Browning Stainless Stalker.

lbirch

Reaction score
For what its worth, I have 4 Christensen Arms Ridgeline rifles. I've modified them a bit by changing to side port brakes and changing the stock to either a Manners EH1, McMillan Game Hunter or MESA Precision Arms Altitude. Each one makes me smile in one way or another and I'm totally satisfied with the fit, function and weight.

If/when I buy another I've debated with myself for either a Fierce CT Edge or the Cooper M52.

Last edited:

fatbacks

Reaction score
I have had two Fierce rifles. An Edge in 300 WSM and it shot great right out of the box with factory ammo. I also have a CT Edge and i have still not found what if likes after about 200 rounds through it. Tried numerous hand load recipes and factory ammo. Not sure if this one is a lemon or of it is just super picky on what it likes.

That said the fit and finish on a Fierce is top notch in my opinion.

Last edited:

J2shooter

Reaction score
Been a few months since any discussion on this thread but I have a question that I haven't seen covered yet.

I too am wanting to purchase a new rifle in 6.5 PRC and am trying do decide CA / or Fierce.

One reason I'm leaning fierce is ample room in magazine to load out as far as you want. I like the idea of not being limited there.

Anyway, for my question.
What is the difference between the carbon Fury and the carbon edge?

I see where they mention on the non carbon versions the difference is barrel fluting.

I see the difference in price is approximately 3400/2700 retail.

Thanks for all the help and information that's being poured out on this site. Im learning so much on here and it's just an awesome resource.

lbirch

Reaction score
I believe the only difference between the Fury and the Edge is that the Fury's bolt is not fluted and the bolt is polished instead of coated in their DLC coating. The Fury has the 1/2", 3-shot guarantee @ 100 yards, but without a test target included with every rifle sold. There may be some other differences.

J2shooter

Reaction score
Yeah I'm not finding any more than that either and the site even lists both rifles at 6.6 pounds. I figured I was missing something with a 700+ dollar difference.

I do realize there's value in the edge model coming with .5" test target.

lbirch

Reaction score
Looks like some Fury calibers may have shorter barrels.

Forum Sponsors