New 300 Weatherby shooter needs help.....

252to208

Reaction score
Hey everyone hoping to get some help with a new rifle I have recently bought. I have always shot a .30-06 or 7mm-08 in North Carolina however now that I live in Idaho I have reached the ethical limits of those calibers specifically for elk so I bought a 300 weatherby. I know this isn't the newest latest and greatest caliber but I have access to ammunition so I will actually be able to practice and with everything going on I chose a caliber I could actually get ammo to shoot. I am hoping to get some recommendations for elk for my rifle (mark V accumark) I currently have all factory weatherby ammo 200 eldx 180 ttsx and 180 partitions. I am hoping to be able to shoot 500-600 yards by elk season.

Any tips recommendations reloading recipes or general shoot practice tips would be greatly appreciated and I know 500-600 yards is not far to many people anymore but I've never shot past 300 on game.

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
Hello and Welcome to LRO. I use to shoot a lot of 300 Weatherby. If you ever choose to hand load for it I will say H-1000 and a 215 Berger Hybrid target is great elk medicine. Some advice would be to get some Boretech eliminator ordered to clean the barrel. And clean the barrel between changing those bullets. Especially those TTSX's. In fact I would probably trade those off. But that is just from my personal experience with my past 300 Roy's. Out of what you listed there the 200 ELDX is my choice, by quite a ways.

The next thing would be to get a good brake on her like the TI PRO. That will make her a breeze to shoot.

Quest1000

Reaction score
I have used the Factory Hornady Ammo with 200ELDX and was getting 1/2-3/4 MOA at 500 yards. I shot a mule deer at a little over 200 yards and did what it was supposed to. I also have a Mark V Accumark.

I actually called a local gun smith to have mine threaded for a break but he needs my rifle to be put in the line up and said it could be up to three months. I don’t want to wait that long bc I’m just starting to reload as well. Any recommendations to have this done in a shorter time frame?

252to208

Reaction score
Thanks for input on the bullet selection for now I’m not reloading because I don’t have any powder that will work for the 300wby. I don’t want to waste a bunch of imr4350 I have just to get mediocre results. Once I can buy powder normally I will definitely try H1000, RL26 and retumbo assuming it’s available again before season.

ButcherBoy39

Reaction score
Hello and Welcome to LRO. I use to shoot a lot of 300 Weatherby. If you ever choose to hand load for it I will say H-1000 and a 215 Berger Hybrid target is great elk medicine. Some advice would be to get some Boretech eliminator ordered to clean the barrel. And clean the barrel between changing those bullets. Especially those TTSX's. In fact I would probably trade those off. But that is just from my personal experience with my past 300 Roy's. Out of what you listed there the 200 ELDX is my choice, by quite a ways.

The next thing would be to get a good brake on her like the TI PRO. That will make her a breeze to shoot.
I'm also in the process of load development with a .300 Wby. Just recently joined the forum and loving all the helpful information, only problem is I feel the more I learn the more I'm second guessing my initial decision. I've got 1200 Hornady 212gr eldx bullets that I originally wanted to try but now I'm seriously thinking I should go with a 215 Berger, which I have access to. Something else I saw in one of your threads Broz, was the idea that if you don't want to magazine feed your rifle you can seat your bullet out a lot farther. So now I guess my questions to you are:
1. Should I bail on the eldx and start with the Berger's?
2. Would it be beneficial to start with the bullet seated closer to the lands, say .020" off?

I hope I'm not stealing the thread here but with you mentioning your past Weatherby experience I thought it was relative. I read through one particular thread on the gunsmithing Weatherby site and you were on there promoting the 215 Berger's with a .300 Wby w/24"bbl back in 2014! Of course the eldx weren't available then but I've lost a little of the excitement with shooting them after joining LRO and all the love for Berger bullets here, lol. What should I do??? 😵💫
P.S. I know I directed the questions toward Broz but I'd appreciate advice from anyone on here with knowledge on this topic.
Mike

zrodco

Reaction score
A while back i shot a 300 wby improved that didn’t like 215s but shot the 212 ELD-X great. I killed a bull with it and at 550 yards performed very similar to a 215. I would not hesitate to run 212s again if I needed to.

Broz

Reaction score
1. Should I bail on the eldx and start with the Berger's?
2. Would it be beneficial to start with the bullet seated closer to the lands, say .020" off?

As many here on LRO have seen, the 215 Berger is one heck of a hunting bullet from Antelope to Elk. We have taken many many elk with them and even a moose at long range. (1033 yds) That old 24" 300 WBY from back in 2014 still takes it's elk every year. Most shots are 600 and in for that hunter, but he gets her out each elk season, wipes her down and usually shoots one shot and is done. I am there helping him each year. He is over 80 yrs young now, and last fall went just as usual, 500 yard shot on his cow elk, one and done. She ran maybe 40 yards after the shot and piled up.

What I did with that rifle (Wby Mark V) was to load them just short of mag box length so they would feed. They shot .5 to .75 moa there so I just went with it and never looked back. I would start there and see what ya get.

I have not gotten much experience with the 212 eldx, but I typically do not like tips on my hunting bullets unless they are solid copper like the CEB's and need the tip for good expansion. Cup core lead jacketed bullets usually expand a little too much for my taste when tipped.

ButcherBoy39

Reaction score
As many here on LRO have seen, the 215 Berger is one heck of a hunting bullet from Antelope to Elk. We have taken many many elk with them and even a moose at long range. (1033 yds) That old 24" 300 WBY from back in 2014 still takes it's elk every year. Most shots are 600 and in for that hunter, but he gets her out each elk season, wipes her down and usually shoots one shot and is done. I am there helping him each year. He is over 80 yrs young now, and last fall went just as usual, 500 yard shot on his cow elk, one and done. She ran maybe 40 yards after the shot and piled up.

What I did with that rifle (Wby Mark V) was to load them just short of mag box length so they would feed. They shot .5 to .75 moa there so I just went with it and never looked back. I would start there and see what ya get.

I have not gotten much experience with the 212 eldx, but I typically do not like tips on my hunting bullets unless they are solid copper like the CEB's and need the tip for good expansion. Cup core lead jacketed bullets usually expand a little too much for my taste when tipped.
That settles it then, I'm going to start with the Berger's at mag length and see how they work. I've watched Ryan's videos on both the OCW and Ladder Test and I've got a spot where I can shoot to 740yds fairly close to home so I'm going to go with the ladder test to find a stable load and go from there.
When you say the cup core bullets expand too much does that mean the Berger's are less explosive because I was under the impression that they fragmented more? Also just as a thought, my elk hunting takes place in some pretty dense grizzly areas. How would you feel with the 215 and a bear coming at ya? I've been charged to within 5yds with nothing but my bow in my hands so anything is better than that!

Broz

Reaction score
When you say the cup core bullets expand too much does that mean the Berger's are less explosive because I was under the impression that they fragmented more? Also just as a thought, my elk hunting takes place in some pretty dense grizzly areas. How would you feel with the 215 and a bear coming at ya? I've been charged to within 5yds with nothing but my bow in my hands so anything is better than that!

Thin jacketed bullets like both Berger and Hornady's all expand easily. A tip initiates expansion sooner and can be more violent at higher impact velocities. (close shots) So yes, I feel the Berger will hold together better up close, as the Berger does not have a tip like the ELDX and ELDM's

ButcherBoy39

Reaction score
Thin jacketed bullets like both Berger and Hornady's all expand easily. A tip initiates expansion sooner and can be more violent at higher impact velocities. (close shots) So yes, I feel the Berger will hold together better up close, as the Berger does not have a tip like the ELDX and ELDM's
Great, thanks Broz. Really appreciate all the help!
Mike

hardcorehunter5

Reaction score
The 212 eld-x never shot good in my MK-V. RL26 gave good speed and gave about 1/2" 3 shot groups. COAL was 3.7" with 180 Accubonds Norma brass, Fed 215M and about 3120FPS. I ran out of time before a hunt to get it more dialed in. The next few months I going to work on it to tighten up everything from ES to group size. Well thats the goal anyhow. Probably try some Bergers as well, as long as I have luck finding some to buy.

ButcherBoy39

Reaction score
Yeah the little experience that I've had with the 212's so far just at 100yds has been about 2 moa group size at best. That's also a large part of why I think I'm gonna try the berger 215's.

Captuna

Reaction score
I’ve shot a bunch of elk with .300 Weatherby, and in my opinion, nothing is better for elk. I’ve been lucky enough, with my departed brother , to shoot exactly 50 elk, and recover 49 of them. The one we lost was due to my youth and inexperience - he was hit hard, from the amount of blood and shattered bone on his trail, but I pushed him too hard and he got his adrenaline up, and we lost his blood trail the next day when it started raining. Didn‘t help that he was a trophy sized Roosevelt in thick brush. My dad taught us that if you shoot at an animal, and he doesn’t go down, you owe it to that animal to track, and look for that animal the rest of the day, to make sure you didn’t hit it…and never lost one after. I’m not saying this to boast, but rather be a lesson to the new long range hunters we see in the woods now days. I know a young man whose father is crack shot with a 30-378, witnessing him make a one-shot kill at 800yds. The boy thinks he can do it too, but lacks the shooting skill...but everybody can shoot 1000 yds with the modern equipment? He told me his story of shooting five times at a bull close to 1000…and the bull disappeared into the brush. Did he go to the spot to check for blood? No. He knew he missed him, so he just went looking for another one. I know that if hit - or just nick- they won’t go far before bedding down to lick it. That information has added several to the score, and thank God, my biggest. Take your time, and spot him before he spots you. Just like Viet Nam. One more thing. Don’t waste your hearing on a muzzle break. Get a12 oz. suppressor for 300W. You can thank me after you shoot it. Cap.

Captuna

Reaction score
Sorry , back to good elk loads with .300W. Reloader 19, 22, and 25 have been good to me with 25 being best, and not temp. sensitive. Have four .300 W’s and all like R-25. I prefer lung shots and a bullet that expends all of its energy inside the elk. Have tried a lot of bullets, and a 180 gr. Swift scirocco, or a cheaper version of it, the Nosler Accubond are good for me. Always against the skin on the other side, at about 85% recovery weight…and the animal within 50 yds.

Forum Sponsors