My 30-06 project

Kevin S

Reaction score
Hey all, new guy here, figured I would post my current project. A friend had a Rem 700 Long Range that had spent its life un fired under a bed. It had some rust on the outside, but not bad. I figured it would be a fun one to play with, I already reload for 30-06 so no setup costs there. Plus it will be nice to have a gun that I don't freak out over losing a piece of brass! (My other long range stick is a custom 6.5 Sherman) LOL. Going to do some things to this one I haven't had the nerve to do to my 6.5 (it's too pretty). I really enjoy rattle canning my rifles, there's probably something wrong with me...

So far I have painted the metal, and fit a Magpul floorplate to it. That was very easy btw, about 5 min with a file, and it dropped right in. The Bell & Carlson stock was a bit long for me, so I trimmed it to match the LOP of the HS Precision Sendero stock on my 6.5.

Trying to decide on a load, either 178-180s or 200 grainers. Hope to push the old 06 a bit and see what it can do. Hopefully this rifle left the factory on a good day for Remington, if not, this will be a longer project than currently intended

NC_Surveyor

Reaction score
I'm trying out the 178 gr eldm and the 180 gr berger elite hunters for my 30-06 as soon as it gets back from my smith. I've been running the numbers for my anticipated velocities for my known 200gr 30-06 loads and the 25" barrel I'm having spun up and my 180 grain at 2800 fps pretty much equals my 200 grain load at 2600 fps as far as wind goes and yardage where I start to dip below 1700 fps impact velocity. I figure if all else equal, I will spare myself the recoil of the 200 grain load.

Kevin S

Reaction score
I'm trying out the 178 gr eldm and the 180 gr berger elite hunters for my 30-06 as soon as it gets back from my smith. I've been running the numbers for my anticipated velocities for my known 200gr 30-06 loads and the 25" barrel I'm having spun up and my 180 grain at 2800 fps pretty much equals my 200 grain load at 2600 fps as far as wind goes and yardage where I start to dip below 1700 fps impact velocity. I figure if all else equal, I will spare myself the recoil of the 200 grain load.
Yeah, I had that thought as well.... I like my shoulder where it is...

Muddfoot

Reaction score
I recently picked up a Savage 110 Ultralight in 30.06. Am going through the same bullet experiments. Am following to learn your results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin S

Reaction score
7C93AB5D-E5DF-4D78-8379-1DD05BF482D3.jpeg Got my scope over Thanksgiving, did some load development over the next couple weeks. Running the 178s at 2,848 and I’m happy with that. May adjust some for accuracy as we go, but the load seemed consistent enough for starters.

Now I just need a good day so I can rattle can the rest.

Scope is a Vortex Diamondback Tactical, I was initially planning on a “nicer” optic, but wanted to give this style of reticle a try. Glass seems pretty good.

Forum Sponsors