Maven RS.4 scope Review

FURMAN

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
I wlil be testing this over the next few months. Ask any questions. I will try to address them.

Maven RS.4 Review

7WMkA15h.jpg

#mavenbuilt #mavenoptics #rs.4

RBanta66

Reaction score
Since you have just started testing on this scope I'll get the questions started. Give us your first impressions. Total Elevation travel in moa, total windage travel and ease of operation, glass clarity and eye relief. Overall quality of product on your first impression!

FURMAN

Staff member
Reaction score
My first impressions: The controls are very nice, maybe a little on the stiff side. The glass seems good but most glass in that price range needs some serious comparison to actually tell a difference. I have never had an issue with eye relief so I am not really the best at helping with it. I am impressed with the overall quality of the scope, especially for the price.
WKtBtj8h.png
g79o5o0h.png

Bueller92

Reaction score
I wlil be testing this over the next few months. Ask any questions. I will try to address them.
7WMkA15h.jpg

#mavenbuilt #mavenoptics #rs.4
How does the glass and overall optical quality compare to other scopes within the same price range?

FURMAN

Staff member
Reaction score
There really is not anything directly inline price wise but it is very similar to the NXS or NX8 as far as color fidelity, clarity, and low light performance.

Bueller92

Reaction score
There really is not anything directly inline price wise but it is very similar to the NXS or NX8 as far as color fidelity, clarity, and low light performance.
If you compare this to the NX8, would you give the nod to the Maven or NX8?

FURMAN

Staff member
Reaction score
If you compare this to the NX8, would you give the nod to the Maven or NX8?
I would not give either the nod. I literally had to look side by side until my eyes hurt between several scopes to see any difference at all. On top of that I know I sound like a broken record but glass is over rated. Tracking and return to zero are paramount and then other features you may want or need. Scopes like the Swaro X5, Zeiss V6 and Atacr perform noticeably better in both clarity and low light but not enough for me to make that my deciding factor.

Bueller92

Reaction score
I would not give either the nod. I literally had to look side by side until my eyes hurt between several scopes to see any difference at all. On top of that I know I sound like a broken record but glass is over rated. Tracking and return to zero are paramount and then other features you may want or need. Scopes like the Swaro X5, Zeiss V6 and Atacr perform noticeably better in both clarity and low light but not enough for me to make that my deciding factor.
Have you had any experience with the Tract Toric riflescope?

Jasent

Reaction score
Great job on that intro. Like how it was incorporated or part of the video info. I realize that’s a lot of extra work to do that with every video but it really adds to the presentation.

MT_Wyatt

Reaction score
I agree on the intro - has to be a lot of editing work so maybe not an every video thing, but it’s an interesting and different way to present the specs to start. I enjoyed it.

AbeC86

Reaction score
Hey Ryan, I have two questions for you in reguard to scopes.
1. In your experience are the features of the NX-8 (zerostop, lighter weight, etc.) worth the extra $350 in an out of state hunting application?
And
2. I watched another review on the Maven and at high magnification it had a very small eyebox. Is this something that happens at high magnification on all scopes?

Thanks

FURMAN

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Ryan, I have two questions for you in reguard to scopes.
1. In your experience are the features of the NX-8 (zerostop, lighter weight, etc.) worth the extra $350 in an out of state hunting application?
And
2. I watched another review on the Maven and at high magnification it had a very small eyebox. Is this something that happens at high magnification on all scopes?

Thanks
I do think the NX8 is worth the extra money. The Maven is a great scope but the NX8 is a little nicer. Typically the more zoom(min vs max) the tighter the eye box. I personally have never had an issue with this. If you get your scope setup correctly it is of little concern.

FURMAN

Staff member
Reaction score
I just realized I did not specifically talk about tracking and return to zero in the review. I just wanted to say it has had no issues during my use. Both tracking and RTZ are things I check and this scope has not failed yet.

Forum Sponsors