Looking for tent ideas

freebird

Reaction score
Trying to decide between either a wall tent type or one like the cabelas Alaknak outfitter tent. I am not needing a huge one, usually no more then 3 camping out, whether for hunting for just plain camping. Will be using cots to sleep on. Depending on the season might be getting a wood stove also.
Everyone seems to talk highly of Davis Wall tents. There is a local company in Nampa Idaho called Elk mountain tents, their tent is more of what I would call a hybrid material.
I'm getting tired of spending more gas money on day trips and it usually ends up being close to 200 miles round trip.
Thanks for any advice
Chuck

Dave Wilson

Reaction score
Broz, my question would be what size is your tent? the length width and height....and the vestibule? i'm thinking of getting something more on the glamping side.

freebird

Reaction score
I love my wall tent. It is a Montana Canvas and I have been treated very good by them. Ask away if you have specific questions.

View attachment 4643

View attachment 4644
I see two options for canvas weight, 10oz and 12oz. Which do you reccomend.? I also see a blend option, I am guessing that similar to the type of material that this local Idaho company offers. I see different types of stoves. What type are you using??
Thanks Broz

terrapin

Reaction score
We as a group have all switched over to Kodiak Canvas Flex Bow tents. We have two 10x14 and one 10x10. They are warm and waterproof, and one person can set them up in 10 minutes. Plus they have a lifetime warranty. Pretty easy to install a stove jack, but we just use Little Buddy propane heaters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
Broz, my question would be what size is your tent? the length width and height....and the vestibule? i'm thinking of getting something more on the glamping side.
My tent is 12 x 17 with 5' walls. Point of the gable must be, and I am guessing, 10' or so. The steep pitch offers plenty of head room.

Broz

Reaction score
I see two options for canvas weight, 10oz and 12oz. Which do you reccomend.? I also see a blend option, I am guessing that similar to the type of material that this local Idaho company offers. I see different types of stoves. What type are you using??
Thanks Broz
freebird, Yes they have at least two options, lite and heavy. The main room of my tent is their heavy canvas. The fly out front I added last year is sewn on and it their lite material. I would call the guys at Montana Canvas and talk to them. Great owners and they love us at LRO. I drive to the camp site, so heavy canvas was good for me. Very durable, water proof, and doesn't flap as much in the wind.

As for stoves, I am still searching for the perfect tent stove that has adjustable heat and will last 6 to 8 hours. I have a Riley wrangler ( sheet metal stove) and I like it for it's weight, water tank and options, but she is a 3 to 4 hour stove. I need something tighter I can choke down. I had my wrangler converted to pellets last year. That was a huge PITA and I was up screwing with it more than wood. I totally wasted my money there. This year I will likely go back to a 40 gallon barrel stove I have and make sure it is air tight for a longer burn. I just went through it and I think it will burn at least 6 hrs with decent wood.

I also wonder about the old oil burners or LP. But need to do more research on those.

freebird

Reaction score
We as a group have all switched over to Kodiak Canvas Flex Bow tents. We have two 10x14 and one 10x10. They are warm and waterproof, and one person can set them up in 10 minutes. Plus they have a lifetime warranty. Pretty easy to install a stove jack, but we just use Little Buddy propane heaters.

I have looked at these too. I have read about condensation being a problem with little/big buddy heaters. Have you seen this to be true. Most of the time its going to be just my wife and I, so ease of setup is important to us. Also most of the time will be camping around the fishing spots.
Overall i see lots of positive views with the Kodiak tent.

terrapin

Reaction score
I have looked at these too. I have read about condensation being a problem with little/big buddy heaters. Have you seen this to be true. Most of the time its going to be just my wife and I, so ease of setup is important to us. Also most of the time will be camping around the fishing spots.
Overall i see lots of positive views with the Kodiak tent.

Yes, propane causes condensation and can kill you with carbon monoxide (in any tent). It’s never been a major issue over two weeks, and it’s darn convenient. It’s just tough to get clothes dry.

Broz

Reaction score
We were using a small propane tent heater on my Alaska Moose hunt with "907 Lapua". Never noticed the added moisture even on rainy nights. But then Luke like it on the cool side and had the stove on low. I would have had that sucker on full kill. :sleep:

gspman

Reaction score
freebird, Yes they have at least two options, lite and heavy. The main room of my tent is their heavy canvas. The fly out front I added last year is sewn on and it their lite material. I would call the guys at Montana Canvas and talk to them. Great owners and they love us at LRO. I drive to the camp site, so heavy canvas was good for me. Very durable, water proof, and doesn't flap as much in the wind.

As for stoves, I am still searching for the perfect tent stove that has adjustable heat and will last 6 to 8 hours. I have a Riley wrangler ( sheet metal stove) and I like it for it's weight, water tank and options, but she is a 3 to 4 hour stove. I need something tighter I can choke down. I had my wrangler converted to pellets last year. That was a huge PITA and I was up screwing with it more than wood. I totally wasted my money there. This year I will likely go back to a 40 gallon barrel stove I have and make sure it is air tight for a longer burn. I just went through it and I think it will burn at least 6 hrs with decent wood.

I also wonder about the old oil burners or LP. But need to do more research on those.
Pellet burner add on for a cylinder stove is a mighty awesome thing if your not too high up in elevation, adjustable and burns all night... the purr of the stove is a good sleeping pill as well...lol

gspman

Reaction score
not something your going to want ot pack on a spike camp i would add..just saying

sjak

Reaction score
I’ve been using the cabelas Alaknak 12x20 wall tent for moose hunting in Alaska for many years. It is not as heavy duty as the canvas type tent by any means but serves the purpose. We always tarp off just to be on the safe side. I think this will be 12 or 13 years I’ve had it and it’s still in great shape. We have graduated to a dickenson oil drip stove a few years back and it is a whole new level of comfort. Doesn’t do to bad in fuel really.
dcb3e31d06740e11ed0192b6ac1f5578.jpg
145fbb353533dace5920220f053ff555.jpg

Broz

Reaction score
Pellet burner add on for a cylinder stove is a mighty awesome thing if your not too high up in elevation, adjustable and burns all night... the purr of the stove is a good sleeping pill as well...lol
I was at 4200' asl. Mine would only run wide open. if I tried to close it down at all it soon plugged the grate, or bridged and then I was cold. I would wake up and screwed with it every night for 10 days. By then end of the trip I had tried every thing I could. I was was totally done with it. Back to wood I go until I get a better plan for sure.

Want to buy a used one cheap? LOL

Broz

Reaction score
I’ve been using the cabelas Alaknak 12x20 wall tent for moose hunting in Alaska for many years. It is not as heavy duty as the canvas type tent by any means but serves the purpose. We always tarp off just to be on the safe side. I think this will be 12 or 13 years I’ve had it and it’s still in great shape. We have graduated to a dickenson oil drip stove a few years back and it is a whole new level of comfort. Doesn’t do to bad in fuel really.
dcb3e31d06740e11ed0192b6ac1f5578.jpg
145fbb353533dace5920220f053ff555.jpg

Details on this stove please. Type of fuel? how warm will it keep your 12x20 in the 20's Fahrenheit ?

Pretty adjustable? How many gallons a night on the coldest nights?

Thanks!

sjak

Reaction score
Have the stove at my shop so ill send model etc tmrow. It is a diesel stove and ill have to double check some of my notes to give a realistic burn rate but its not bad at all. We've had it in the 20 degree temps and it has no problem heating up the tent. Im sure it would perform even better in your tent w thicker material. The temp is easy to control w dial on the carburetor. At night we will set it near low and it keeps the wall tent just right all night. We also have a little fan that sits on top that runs off the heat created from the stove. Cool little unit that works really well. Ill send more info and pics tmrow.

sjak

Reaction score
My model of stove is called a Geo Stove 32000. Seems to be more of a utility heater and not sure if they make this style anymore. 32000 BTU is its max output so it is a bit much for a tent stove but always better to have a little extra when its real cold out. Probably never run it over 1/2 throttle once its warmed up or we are just cooked out of the tent. We have built a drying rack that goes on both sides and above the unit so we can dry stuff out very quickly. Looks like for a 10 day hunt we take 25 gallons of diesel. This has always been way to much. My guess that is calculated from what we used during some cold spells and called that worst case scenario. I think we came back with nearly 50% of our fuel last year but wasn't real cold and were only in field for 7 or 8 days since we were successful early. On a cold night with it turned up to mid setting I don't think we've ever burned more than 1.5-2 gallons. There are some burn rate and dimension info on the website I will attach as well. I think on high it can only burn 6 gallons in 24hrs. In regards to needing power there is none required. The heat powered fan is just that. Once the stove gets hot enough the fan starts to spin and it gets with it once the top plate is ripping hot. Worth every penny. The stove is just simple gravity feed to carburetor so we just have tank up on a stand. One other nice feature that this stove has is the fresh air intake. Maybe their all like that. We pipe a 4" flex pipe outside the tent so your not drawing from inside air and supposedly it makes it burn cleaner/safer.
These units are well worth it just for ease of consistent heat. Only bummer is having to pack fuel if someone is looking for a light weight option.

sjak

Reaction score
If anyone is looking for this style stove irlsupplies.com is an dealer of the stove I have. They also have a smaller version as well. They’re in Canada but should be able to get something figured out for shipping.

Chippewa

Reaction score
Just curious if these canvas cotton wall tents are tough to keep clean an mold free in the off season. Its so humid here in PA i'd hate to get one an while stored in garage get ruined.

I'm leaning toward the Alaknak 12x20 at this point an like that its half the weight of canvas for dragging across the country. But are these Davis or Montanas the better investment.

jimbires

Reaction score
I did a lot of reading on tents before I bought my Davis tent . one thing I read a few guys mention was the early model Alaknak tents had problems with condensation . the newer model tents are supposed to be vented better to help with the condensation problem . now they say the tents are vented so much they are hard to heat . try to read reviews on this and see what you find .

I did as Jeff said . I laid my tent out in my driveway , and kept flipping it the biggest part of a day . then I hung it from the rafters in my garage . it hung for about a week , until I got a nice dry day to get it folded up .

sjak

Reaction score
Ive had to break down camp in the rain many times. This really sucks as we all know. When I get back I just string up the tent in my shop and run a couple box fans on it for a couple days before loosely putting away for the year. Haven't had any issues with mold or fabric/seems breaking down.
My tent is an older model I assume but I haven't had any issue with condensation as mentioned but I have always had a good heat source.
I think as long as you store the tent in a heated garage/shop you won't have any issues. Southeast Ak is very hi humidity and no issues at all.
I used to fly in to moose camp with this tent and weight was always an issue so I agree on that if your counting pounds.

AliceBerry16

Reaction score
A tent is most important for camping. if you get more information about the tent you can visit this site outsideneed.

Last edited:

AZHTR

Reaction score
Free bird, I realize this post is aging, however, my 30 years of hunting has been in the old style canvas tents and sometime around 2006 I bought the Cabellas Alaknak 12x12 (believe or not it’s the new style) and vents very well. I’ve always used it for longer type hunts of 10 days or longer. Because it takes awhile to set up and tear down I researched the Kodiak canvas tent (10x10) and purchased it about a year ago and absolutely love it. It really is a 10 minute setup and I used it last year on a December deer hunt that got down to 10 degrees Fahrenheit and snowing. I used a little Mr. Buddy only to warm up the tent in the morning getting ready. Additionally, my kids bought me the canvas vestibule for setting up and cooking under the vestibule. I’m sold on it.

Benny1975

Reaction score
I've got a 12 x 12 alaknak and I truly like it. I use it in early season primarily. My go to tent for the colder seasons is a glacier tent from reliable tents. It sets up easily with one person and is a hexagon shape with center pole to a five ft side wall easy to heat and holds the heat well . Not all that heavy, just a awesome tent for all seasons

Forum Sponsors