Long Range Hunting is Not Hunting? by Ryan Furman

NorCal_In_AZ

Reaction score
I think that many hunters also apply limits to what hunting is through their limited view of hunting. Midwest guys, hunt deer from a tree stand and don't shoot past 100 yards most times. Guys in heavily covered public lands, road hunt, or try to drive game to another person. You can apply these methods out in the open lands of the west, but your success rate drops real quick. Most of us have to remember, just because you do something one way, doesn't make it the only or the correct way.

J300UM

Reaction score
Really well written article! It really is a shame that folks can't live and let live. I hunt with nearly every legal tool on the market. I've had bow hunters tell me I'm cheating by using a rifle, had trad guys tell me I'm cheating by using modern archery tackle, and, like all of us on this forum, have been called out by others for making what they claim is an unethical shot with a rifle. I've really narrowed down the list of people that I'm even willing to discuss hunting with which sucks because I love nothing more than swapping hunting stories over a cold beer or cup of coffee. I've found myself being somewhat short and direct with a few people here just recently and just told them flat out that if they try to force their own limitations down my throat and try to tell me I'm wrong for taking a shot they're incapable of, then they're too damn narrow minded to even discuss hunting with. Usually pisses them off but it shuts the argument down in a hurry. At the end of the day, we're all hunters. Why can't we just call that good?!

Tex Savage

Reaction score
I loved the article, well done! I have faced many of the same instances and oppositions. Interestingly enough from within some of my own close hunting friends and yes they are still my close hunting friends and overall friends. That's not to say there isn't some ribbing and jawing going on between all of us. Bottom line, I like hunting, alone on occasion, but with good friends who hold the same life values, safety, hunting ethics (one shot clean kills, pass the shot up if it's not within your means, have respect for the quarry, and never be wasteful or destructive) and want to go hunting with like minded people. Do we have different opinions on hunting, shooting, reloading, ballistics, chamberings, optics, what we take to eat, ranges to shot, shot placement, etc...... Why heck yes, that's part of why God made each of us unique. HE is the one common denominator my hunting buddies and I have. WE respect each other for who we are and our outlook on things. Sometimes we just agree to disagree. I'm in the camp of all phases, with being outdoors, hunting is the best of times.

Ladd

Reaction score
Ryan, I really liked your perspective in this article, your description of the stages in a hunter's life and I am in total agreement. I've been through a similar life's path with the exception of being born and raised in the west. I especially liked the question in your last paragraph. "Instead of the fighting, bickering, and cutting down others in our relatively small community why not find opportunities to help others?" A very good question, one that can be applied to many different communities around the world. Mahatma Gandhi said, "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." I find joy in seeing one person helping another and giving their time, energy and money. Like many here on LRO do. Thank you.

Last edited:

NorCal_In_AZ

Reaction score
Another thought I had...

Western hunters sometimes bad mouth midwest guys for popping deer on food plots right off their back porch. The way I look at that is, the midwest guy put just as much time and effort into getting a deer on a food plot as I did scouting, glassing, and hunting. If you spend a year, working the land, feeding the deer, pattering them, you've put in your dues to pop a buck from a blind or stand IMO.

jmden

Reaction score
Well written. Thanks, Ryan.

sapper299

Reaction score
Great article and one everyone should read before they step into the woods after any game. What I think has caused a lot of the problem is social media, the videos that everyone watches. I love to watch the videos, but I also shoot- a lot- at ELR distances and know my limitations. I have, however, been on a hunt at a lodge and ran into some folks that had no business out in the wood with a firearm, let alone trying to shoot something past 100 yards. These guys had watched all the You Tube videos and went to Walmart, bought the biggest caliber they had so they could "reach waaaay out there" and went out hunting. One guy had not even gone through half the original box of ammo he bought with the rifle, because it kicked too much! Now, in this case one would hope the guides would realize this and maybe step in, but these guys were high rollers with lots of cash and there was no way they were going to be told no they could not shoot that far. Now, I sure don't think this represents the majority of responsible hunters out there, not by a long shot. But I do think we have created our own mess in a way, though not with any intention of doing so. Its forums like this that I hope people who are interested in hunting, especially at longer ranges, come to read and get a better understanding, maybe even some education, on what level of skills they should work towards before they attempt a long shot. Maybe we, as forum members can help re instill that sense of ethics that seems to be less apparent as time goes by. If we did not care about this topic, then we would not be reading this in the first place, right?

Greatwhitehntr

Reaction score
What a great article and what a great train of thought. I personally couldn't have said it any better myself.
I love that you announce how much you practice and how you can confidently take the shots that you practice to and you know when not to take the shot. I think that's what's giving long range hunting a bad name.

Papa Charlie

Reaction score
Very well written. Thank you for sharing this.
I haven't hunted in years. I am saddened by the lack of tollerance our society has these days and lack of appreciation for our differences.

Chippewa

Reaction score
I say the heck with hecklers of longrange. To argue how we kill for sport seems stupid to me. We should just be banding together to keep the intrest in hunting an advocate for our rights to it and our public lands. These rights are only important to those willing to keep pursuing them. I am so glad for the guys with the knowledge and Methods who actually take the time to build, an run a free space like LRO helped alot of us learn an share experiences. I think so many are quick to say things that are difficult to learn or do are not worth the effort. But to me it makes the act all the more rewarding. Hunting with a hand made loads or fishing a hand made fly. To each their own. Keep up the great work here.

HARPERC

Reaction score
I find most of the time hunters, trashing hunters is sour grapes. I saw a while back an antelope outfitters website that indicated he wouldn't take you out if you brought a scope with adjustable turrets.

allenkitts

Reaction score
Great Article Ryan. I couldn't agree with you more. Solidarity as a group is what is going to keep hunting as part of the American Heritage. In fighting amost ourselves is way worse than the opposition we see from the outside. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
I find most of the time hunters, trashing hunters is sour grapes. I saw a while back an antelope outfitters website that indicated he wouldn't take you out if you brought a scope with adjustable turrets.
Ha ha ha, now there is a solid business plan. Well, that is if you like time off without pay.(y) :poop: ;)

HARPERC

Reaction score
I hope to be in the field in 2 weeks (Wyoming). I'll be taking a 6.5 Ultracat (RUM Improved) 5-25x ATACR. 16.4 lbs
McMillan A-5 About as politically incorrect as one can get. I wonder what his reaction would be. Might strain the limits of the Canadian health system.

Pretty limited mobility these days, current plan is a good set up on a waterhole we've seen good bucks use. Not sporting? I don't much care.

Snowing already in the hunt area, could be an interesting season.

I wonder how he accesses hunt area, some folks would frown on using vehicles in any way.

If you don't like it don't do it, pretty simple.

jmden

Reaction score
I hope to be in the field in 2 weeks (Wyoming). I'll be taking a 6.5 Ultracat (RUM Improved) 5-25x ATACR. 16.4 lbs
McMillan A-5 About as politically incorrect as one can get. I wonder what his reaction would be. Might strain the limits of the Canadian health system.

Pretty limited mobility these days, current plan is a good set up on a waterhole we've seen good bucks use. Not sporting? I don't much care.

Snowing already in the hunt area, could be an interesting season.

I wonder how he accesses hunt area, some folks would frown on using vehicles in any way.

If you don't like it don't do it, pretty simple.
Looking forward to a trip report!

Forum Sponsors