Lone peak actions?

matt_3479

Reaction score
Well with 2021 off to a start and high hopes it to be better then 2020 I am looking at starting the next 2 projects. First one is just changing out actions so not much to say there.

Second one I’m looking at doing my first truly dedicated hunting rig. I started on a personal quest of my own and try most manufacturers actions in order to draw my own opinion on them. Well next up on the list is lone peak. I’m looking at a fuzion steel action and before jumping into the purchase I’d really like to see your boys thoughts. I currently have defiance deviant, kelbly atlas, stiller tac 30, bighorn tl3, terminus Zeus and in the works of adding the KS arms wolverine or SAR. What’s your thoughts?

FURMAN

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
If you wanted titanium I would say go for it. Lone Peak makes a great action. If you are set on steel and willing to put up with the weight I would stay with the Zeus. Terminus is hard to beat in quality.

matt_3479

Reaction score
If you wanted titanium I would say go for it. Lone Peak makes a great action. If you are set on steel and willing to put up with the weight I would stay with the Zeus. Terminus is hard to beat in quality.

well the issue is most top end actions in Canada range between 2000-2200 range and the titanium comes in at closer to 3000-3100 range so I don’t think I can justify an extra 1000 just to save a few ounces.

secondly I really want to try a few different actions before finally settling on a favourite. Right now the terminus is my favourite! It’s fantastic quality, service and function. And I heard the Zeus is coming out in long action which is cool. But I’m still wanting to try a new one. So on the list is lone peak, impact, surgeon and the KS. KS is covered for my varmint action replacement build, and now it’s down to lone peak, surgeon and impact. Lone peak is highest of want on that list so the surgeon and impact will wait for the future builds. Just wanted to get a few opinions before settling on it.

muleystalker

Reaction score
The Bordens are favorite in steel actions for both hunting and my F-open rigs and other comp rigs. I do own a Lone Peak Ti Fusion and it has been a great action and one of the smoothest hunting actions I have used and handled only beat by my Bordens.

Ladd

Reaction score
well the issue is most top end actions in Canada range between 2000-2200 range and the titanium comes in at closer to 3000-3100 range so I don’t think I can justify an extra 1000 just to save a few ounces.

secondly I really want to try a few different actions before finally settling on a favourite. Right now the terminus is my favourite! It’s fantastic quality, service and function. And I heard the Zeus is coming out in long action which is cool. But I’m still wanting to try a new one. So on the list is lone peak, impact, surgeon and the KS. KS is covered for my varmint action replacement build, and now it’s down to lone peak, surgeon and impact. Lone peak is highest of want on that list so the surgeon and impact will wait for the future builds. Just wanted to get a few opinions before settling on it.

Oh man! A long action Terminus Zeus? I’m already standing in line. The quick change barrel is a great feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matt_3479

Reaction score
Oh man! A long action Terminus Zeus? I’m already standing in line. The quick change barrel is a great feature.

I believe I saw a teaser post about it on Facebook from terminus’s page. It would be sweet as long as weight isn’t an issue. They are build like tanks. My Zeus is my favourite action I own.

FURMAN

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes a long action Zeus is coming.

FURMAN

Staff member
Reaction score
I would ALWAYS choose integral rail when an option. Too many loose scope bases, rails, and mounts. You are going to put the weight on the rifle one way or another. It might as well be permanently attached to the action.

matt_3479

Reaction score
I would do the Razor over the Fuzion. The Fuzion is too heavy for me on a dedicated hunting rifle.

i agree with Ryan on this plus something slightly sexier about a slab side action!

Choovhntr

Reaction score
No love for the defiance anti x for a hunting rig? I only ask because I honestly don’t know and only have one custom action. I’ve always heard the Bat actions have really tight tolerances for a hunting rig which may get dirt and debris in them. They do look sweet though as well as the terminus. For those that have more experience than me, what really makes one custom action better than the others (using the two lug push feed format)? I did a ton of research on all actions before choosing my defiance xm gap dlc coated action, and it was a close call between that and the lone peak fusion ti. I chose defiance due to the fact that the 5oz difference wasn’t a big deal to me, I got a dbm that worked, and if the dlc coating ever wears off, there would be any sticky bolt issues I’ve heard of from titanium. Beside those factors, and some of them may be heresy, what else makes the decision for you guys that have played with them all? Just trying to learn from people with more experience than me!

matt_3479

Reaction score
No love for the defiance anti x for a hunting rig? I only ask because I honestly don’t know and only have one custom action. I’ve always heard the Bat actions have really tight tolerances for a hunting rig which may get dirt and debris in them. They do look sweet though as well as the terminus. For those that have more experience than me, what really makes one custom action better than the others (using the two lug push feed format)? I did a ton of research on all actions before choosing my defiance xm gap dlc coated action, and it was a close call between that and the lone peak fusion ti. I chose defiance due to the fact that the 5oz difference wasn’t a big deal to me, I got a dbm that worked, and if the dlc coating ever wears off, there would be any sticky bolt issues I’ve heard of from titanium. Beside those factors, and some of them may be heresy, what else makes the decision for you guys that have played with them all? Just trying to learn from people with more experience than me!

the Anti-x is very popular choice. Your getting all the weight savings of titanium without any of the negatives of titanium (sticky feel, possible lack of longevity). There offered in short, medium and long actions. 308 or mag bolt face. They have eveehthing one should need in a light weight option and naturally will be my back up choice if I can’t make it workweight wise with a heavier action. I just want to try a different brand of action as I already have a deviant

warrbuk

Reaction score
the Anti-x is very popular choice. Your getting all the weight savings of titanium without any of the negatives of titanium (sticky feel, possible lack of longevity). There offered in short, medium and long actions. 308 or mag bolt face. They have eveehthing one should need in a light weight option and naturally will be my back up choice if I can’t make it workweight wise with a heavier action. I just want to try a different brand of action as I already have a deviant
Jump on one of those 60 degree Terminus actions! I ran one for 2 days and it was sweet! If weight was less of a factor I would be all over the new LA Zues.

FURMAN

Staff member
Reaction score
The GLR is a great action with some great features. I agree it deserves a look if you do not need/want the integral rail.

Rich

Reaction score
SO SO many great options anymore. Almost all consistent enough for prefits and it really all comes down to the options you are looking for. First you need to decide how much you are willing to spend, then whether or not you want a 60, 75, or 90 degree bolt. Determining what you like best is difficult unless you can actually get hands on. Another great option that hasn't been mentioned is the Kelbly Atlas Tactical. Unbelievably smooth and future packed for the price. I also own a terminus. Both are amazing actions. But there is a definite price difference. For a SA, I also wouldn't rule out the apollo. It's a solid Terminus action with a bit better price point.

matt_3479

Reaction score
SO SO many great options anymore. Almost all consistent enough for prefits and it really all comes down to the options you are looking for. First you need to decide how much you are willing to spend, then whether or not you want a 60, 75, or 90 degree bolt. Determining what you like best is difficult unless you can actually get hands on. Another great option that hasn't been mentioned is the Kelbly Atlas Tactical. Unbelievably smooth and future packed for the price. I also own a terminus. Both are amazing actions. But there is a definite price difference. For a SA, I also wouldn't rule out the apollo. It's a solid Terminus action with a bit better price point.

I have a kelbly atlas tac, I own a terminus Zeus, I own a defiance deviant, I own a stiller tac 30 and a zermatt tl3. I previously had a Curtis vector as well. So like mentioned above, I’m looking at trying a different manufacturer. A personal thing of mine is that I’d like to try and own as many different major manufacturers of actions in order to try ans gather my own opinion on the on going question of “which action is best”. Not saying I’ll accomplish my goal and if I do I’m not intending to major review or anything. Would just like to know on a personal level and then help anyone is is confused and would like my opinion.

so my lists consists of lone peak fuzion steel, surgeon 591, ks Wolverine or SAR (should be going on the varmint build just working out the details), impact 737/787 and forgot but would like to add a bat to the lineup as well. I just figured I have to start somewhere and chose lone peak. I was just hoping to gather thoughts on them cause if they really aren’t worth it then I’ll drop it from the list and move to the next one and if they are I’ll proceed with trying to figure out how tokeep it light

Brendan

Reaction score
I love my Lone Peak Titanium LA for my 300WM, I would get it with an integral rail if I did it again though. Ended up just adding a murphy rail to it anyways.

Terminus has been on my radar if/when I buy a steel LA. Not sure I'll look at Titanium again - I have some very lightweight rifles when needed and a 9.5# gun isn't all that heavy when you don't look to go UL.

adam32

Reaction score
I would ALWAYS choose integral rail when an option. Too many loose scope bases, rails, and mounts. You are going to put the weight on the rifle one way or another. It might as well be permanently attached to the action.

True, but that 6 oz difference FEELS much greater between the actions. I would run Talley one pieces on a Razor and be set.

A Fuzion with a sheep cut is a bit better but still heavy.

BUT, if I were to build a rifle tomorrow for myself, it would be on a Curtis Helix Hybrid.

FURMAN

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ll NEVER Have anything that says tally on the rifle I’m shooting ever again if I have a choice. I have never had a single set not come loose. My time and money are far too important to trust gear or equipment that does not work.

ytsheephnter

Reaction score
On the Talley’s is it the base, rings or both?

I run the lightweight mounts on multiple rifles and have never seen an issue.

Good thing to know, so thanks for sharing.

Rich

Reaction score
On the Talley’s is it the base, rings or both?

I run the lightweight mounts on multiple rifles and have never seen an issue.

Good thing to know, so thanks for sharing.

I too have had good luck with talley 2 piece rings. Lapping rings is just a pain though. Not worth it in my opinion when there are so many nice cnc options. I did set my dad up with some of talley's modern sporting rings last year though. They seemed to be a very good set of quality CNC'd rings for the money. I do prefer 1 bolt (NF ultralites) as opposed to the dual screw setup on the tally's.

FURMAN

Staff member
Reaction score
The rails are not typically straight. I would glue it to the action if I had to use one(probably would do this with any). The one piece rings have never stayed tight to the action on several different actions and several pair of rings. The last time I used a set was on a trip to Africa. A loose mount almost cost me a reedbuck. I can't figure out why someone would chance it knowing. Now I know. I will not chance it.

FURMAN

Staff member
Reaction score
This thread is getting off topic. I know I am not helping. If we wish to discuss mounts we need to start another thread.

adam32

Reaction score
All the actions listed so far are excellent choices...you could literally draw one out of a hat and you won't be disappointed.

The Lone Peak guys are good people too. If it's just an itch you need to scratch then you will be happy with anything they build.

matt_3479

Reaction score
Okay well thank you everyone. I’ve decided to scratch one of the other actions off the list on a varmint build and made the plunge this afternoon and hopefully have it all turned around in 8ish weeks fingers crossed. KS arms SAR action. C27AC836-0D76-4DBC-A751-58E8BAC41CD7.jpeg

I will spend the next few weeks digging around and asking you gentleman for a few more pieces of advice, I’ll post one more thread on stocks as the rest of the parts I’m pretty set on. Once I narrow down a stock and weight I’ll see if all components should come in at my weight class and if it does I’ll be going with the lone peak fuzion long action for more stock availablity and future build purposes. If not it’s anti-x. Fingers crossed on the lone peak!!

Last edited:

Wind Gypsy

Reaction score
A Fuzion with a sheep cut is a bit better but still heavy.

Can you elaborate on this "sheep cut"? Is it something Lone Peak offers or are you referring to an aftermarket slabbing to be done by a gunsmith?

I have a 22# match rifle built on a fuzion and it has ruined me. Nicest action i've had and makes a guy not want to settle for anything but more of the same when it comes to the light bolt lift/close and smoothness. That said, they aren't light and the anTi is an attractive option too based on weight, price, and larger availability of prefits.

Lots of folks swear by the titanium LPs but I'm not sure I'd want to settle for any questions/compromises compared to steel.

Last edited:

adam32

Reaction score
The sheep port has the middle section of the rail cut out.

Can you elaborate on this "sheep cut"? Is it something Lone Peak offers or are you referring to an aftermarket slabbing to be done by a gunsmith?

I have a 22# match rifle built on a fuzion and it has ruined me. Nicest action i've had and makes a guy not want to settle for anything but more of the same when it comes to the light bolt lift/close and smoothness. That said, they aren't light and the anTi is an attractive option too based on weight, price, and larger availability of prefits.

Lots of folks swear by the titanium LPs but I'm not sure I'd want to settle for any questions/compromises compared to steel.

Wind Gypsy

Reaction score
The sheep port has the middle section of the rail cut out.

Thanks! I inquired a little more with LP, they call it the alpine cut. The website only shows them on the Ti fuzions but they can be had on steel as well and cut the weight by 3 ounces. That gets them down to about the same weight as a razor with a pic rail.

matt2308

Reaction score
You will NOT be disappointed with a Lone Peak Fusion action.
I have a 6.5PRC built on one and it is an excellent action.
I like it as much as my Defiance and more than my Stiller.

Forum Sponsors