Lightweight Custom Hunting Rifle

custom newbie

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am fairly new to the long range custom world. Me and my buddy have decided to assemble and rifle and get someone to build it for us.
The real question is what barrel, action, stock and trigger to buy.

We are trying to create a sub 6.8 pound lightweight hunting rifle. 300 Winchester Magnum.

Stock: Proof Lightweight Carbon Stock 21 oz

Barrel: Proof barell

Action: We are really big Rem 700 action facts. So we are between Terminus Kratos Lite or Defiance Deviant GA Hunter

Trigger: Triggertech

We need your input as to what y'all think about this setup!

Feel free to give raw feedback and who should assemble our rig.

Last edited:

rfurman24

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
We really need to know your expectations and shooting situations. A 6.5lb 300Win is a handful regardless of experience and components and will be no fun with a stock like the Proof ultra lightweight. It is just not setup to shoot long rang in any configuration and will be very apparent chambered in 300WM.

custom newbie

Reaction score
Shooting 400 yards max. Needs to be able to go to Africa and Colorado for elk. Thank you for the feedback. What are your thoughts? @rfurman24

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
Shooting 400 yards max. Needs to be able to go to Africa and Colorado for elk. Thank you for the feedback. What are your thoughts? @rfurman24
My next questions would be what is your budget and do you really need a custom?

Livetohunt

Reaction score
I just did this in a 300 WSM, medium defiance action AG composites alpine hunter, 23” HCA barrel. I’m 6.5 lbs unloaded no scope. It gets expensive trying to go light.

custom newbie

Reaction score
10k and no

was about to buy a Jarrett but they don’t make any really lightweight guns

Livetohunt

Reaction score
10k? Wasn’t expecting that. Are you building 2 matching rifles?

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
10k and no

was about to buy a Jarrett but they don’t make any really lightweight guns
My first suggestion would be to look at a Gunwerks or Allterra Arms if you are wanting something out of the box but I am not sure you need that with a 400 yard max(I suspect when you get the right equipment you will stretch that). My next suggestion would be to get either of the actions you mentioned and put them in an Allterra stock or a GW Clymr. The Terminus will be lighter by about 4 oz. The Ruckus is a better option than the Deviant due to guaranteed head space as long as you do not need some crazy customization. Fierce and Hells Canyon Armory are making the lightest carbon barrels I am aware of. Christensen barrels are shooting ridiculous small groups in my customs but are around .25-.5lbs heavier.

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
My third suggestion would be to look at a Fierce CT Edge, Carbon Edge, CT Rival, or Rival. Of those I would probably lean towards a Rival just for the stock. Step down one budget step and look at a Christensen Arms Ridgeline or Titanium Ridgeline. The CAs will shoot very well if you can tame it. The factory stocks take some driving skills.

adam32

Reaction score
My third suggestion would be to look at a Fierce CT Edge, Carbon Edge, CT Rival, or Rival. Of those I would probably lean towards a Rival just for the stock. Step down one budget step and look at a Christensen Arms Ridgeline or Titanium Ridgeline. The CAs will shoot very well if you can tame it. The factory stocks take some driving skills.
This!!!! ^^^^^^^

I'd also toss in the Christensen Traverse.

But... for 400 yards, a 10k budget and Africa... I'd be looking into a Blaser R8 with a highly figured wood stock or carbon fiber stock and some nice engraving or something that'll hold its value...

Why do you "need" lightweight, under 6.8 lbs?

custom newbie

Reaction score
This!!!! ^^^^^^^

I'd also toss in the Christensen Traverse.

But... for 400 yards, a 10k budget and Africa... I'd be looking into a Blaser R8 with a highly figured wood stock or carbon fiber stock and some nice engraving or something that'll hold its value...

Why do you "need" lightweight, under 6.8 lbs?
thanks for the feedback!

ya know man, I’m really new into the custom world and still trying to understand it. Have been to Africa a few times and ready to take “my” gun there. I really just want a really lightweight 300wm for spot and stalk type hunting.

adam32

Reaction score
thanks for the feedback!

ya know man, I’m really new into the custom world and still trying to understand it. Have been to Africa a few times and ready to take “my” gun there. I really just want a really lightweight 300wm for spot and stalk type hunting.
Africa and Blaser's are like peas and carrots...you wouldn't be disappointed.

team_allterra

Reaction score
With rfurman24's mention I thought I'd jump in here. As you consider your options please note that we offer the only 100% unconditional, money-back guarantee in the industry. Our patented technology guarantees your rifle will shoot sub .5" groups at 100yds with premium factory ammo, sub .25" with our custom loads, shoot different weight bullets without significant change in accuracy and will never fail to cycle. Try it for 90-days and if it doesn't meet your expectations send it back and we'll replace it or refund your money. No one else can make that guarantee - they don't have the technology. We realize the investment you are making and have complete confidence in our ability to provide you a rifle that will never let you down. By the way - we've never been asked for a refund. Please let me know if you have any questions or contact our VP of sales, Dan Rice 208. 608.5179. dan@allterraarms.com
Best of luck - Mike Schwiebert - chief marketing officer, AllTerra Arms. mike@allterraarms.com

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
With rfurman24's mention I thought I'd jump in here. As you consider your options please note that we offer the only 100% unconditional, money-back guarantee in the industry. Our patented technology guarantees your rifle will shoot sub .5" groups at 100yds with premium factory ammo, sub .25" with our custom loads, shoot different weight bullets without significant change in accuracy and will never fail to cycle. Try it for 90-days and if it doesn't meet your expectations send it back and we'll replace it or refund your money. No one else can make that guarantee - they don't have the technology. We realize the investment you are making and have complete confidence in our ability to provide you a rifle that will never let you down. By the way - we've never been asked for a refund. Please let me know if you have any questions or contact our VP of sales, Dan Rice 208. 608.5179. dan@allterraarms.com
Best of luck - Mike Schwiebert - chief marketing officer, AllTerra Arms. mike@allterraarms.com
Can't beat that!

OSOK - Crash

Reaction score
WOW!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ridgeline300

Reaction score
The Alterra or the gunwerks would be an easy option. If you are set on building yourself, I would not want to put a 300 wm in to a light, hunter style stock like that proof. It would just plain be not fun to shoot. Like Ryan mentioned, I would look at the gunwerks or the alterra. If 400 yards is the goal... maybe a 300 WM is not needed. Maybe a 300 wsm or 7 saum, or something more medium sized would be better suited.

Dave Wilson

Reaction score
why would you build a custom for 400 yds? put a good scope on a Savage or Remmy and you're gtg. but i guess it wouldn't be custom...

Forum Sponsors