Lighter weight mid range hunting stock

matt_3479

Reaction score
As some of you know I was debating on an action for an upcoming build. Would like your boys opinions on some stocks too. Rifles main intended purpose is big game hunting rifle for shots of 700 and closer. This rifle will be primarily used moose hunting in northern Ontario over dense bush, back lakes and swamps and clear cuts timber’s/logging roads.

I am interested in keeping weight down. Looking at McMillan game hunter, McMillan game warden, McMillan a3, manners eh1, manners mcs-t and ag alpine hunter. Open to suggestions but these are where I’m looking.

Rjk300

Reaction score
I’m trying a stocky’s vg2 ultra light carbon fiber on my current build that should be done in March. I purchased it unfinished for a rem 700 footprint opened for carbon barrel. It was light if I recall correctly ~1.75# when I weighed it and it felt good holding it up and I can’t see any reason yet that will lead me not to like it. IMO it’s lines seemed to blend better than my b&c long range hunter but I have no complaints with that stock either it is ~2.5# and I wanted lighter for this build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mullmann

Reaction score
I recently ordered the mesa altitude. I went with it because of its weight and it is ambidextrous.

matt_3479

Reaction score
Check out the Allterra Arms carbon. Awesome stock and can be very light.

not a bad looking stock, how’s the feel of it compared to say the game hunter/warden, eh1,a3? I’ll see if I can get them in Canada, might be an issue

rfurman24

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
not a bad looking stock, how’s the feel of it compared to say the game hunter/warden, eh1,a3? I’ll see if I can get them in Canada, might be an issue
I think I prefer the Allterra over everything else expect the GW Magnus and Clymr for feel.

matt_3479

Reaction score
I think I prefer the Allterra over everything else expect the GW Magnus and Clymr for feel.

okay thanks. I took aquick peak and can’t find the all terra in Canada, but believe I can get the GW Magnus and clymer, and can get any McMillan or manners and ag composites. So for a long range hunting stock, the Magnus and clymer are your favourite then? Just best overall for weight/carrying/freehand/standin/prone shooting. The gun works stocks would probably be 2100-2500 for just a stock, where the manners, McMillan, and ag would come in at 1000 for the ag, 1200-1500 for the McMillan and 1400-1800 for the manners

Last edited:

rfurman24

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
okay thanks. I took aquick peak and can’t find the all terra in Canada, but believe I can get the GW Magnus and clymer, and can get any McMillan or manners and ag composites. So for a long range hunting stock, the Magnus and clymer are your favourite then? Just best overall for weight/carrying/freehand/standin/prone shooting. The gun works stocks would probably be 2100-2500 for just a stock, where the manners, McMillan, and ag would come in at 1000 for the ag, 1200-1500 for the McMillan and 1400-1800 for the manners

Yes the two Gunwerks stocks are my favorite although they are higher price than other stocks I do feel that they are worth it I would place the Magnus non-adjustable at the top of my list followed closely by the ClymR. There will probably be a few ounces difference between the two with the Magnus being heavier.

coleman112

Reaction score
I’ve been looking into a Clymr stock as well in Canada. Precision Optics in Quesnel BC I believe can bring them in. I believe you can get a carbon Clymr for roughly $1350 Cdn, depending on what options are added plus $200 import fees before taxes. I’d like to get my hands on a couple ag composites to see how they are but strongly considering the Clymr.

NC_Surveyor

Reaction score
I really like my EH2 for a lightweight hunting stock. The raised comb is perfect for me without having to resort to an adjustable cheek piece. I also really like my A3 Hunter for the same reason, the raised comb. Ive got a #3 contour bbl for my EH2 and a #4 contour bbl in my A3 hunter. I'm not sure the EH2 will work with the OP's #5 contour though.

matt_3479

Reaction score
I really like my EH2 for a lightweight hunting stock. The raised comb is perfect for me without having to resort to an adjustable cheek piece. I also really like my A3 Hunter for the same reason, the raised comb. Ive got a #3 contour bbl for my EH2 and a #4 contour bbl in my A3 hunter. I'm not sure the EH2 will work with the OP's #5 contour though.

thank you! If I go lighter then I’ll look at the eh2 but I was thinking #5 fluted or heavier carbon so that’s why I was considering the eht. Seems to handled a heavier barrel but similar to the eh2 in ergonomics from pictures atleast

Spreedizzle

Reaction score
Yes the two Gunwerks stocks are my favorite although they are higher price than other stocks I do feel that they are worth it I would place the Magnus non-adjustable at the top of my list followed closely by the ClymR. There will probably be a few ounces difference between the two with the Magnus being heavier.
I’m going to have to agree with Ryan on this one. Couldn’t be happier with my GW Clymr under my CA Ridgeline. Overall feel is fantastic, especially with the thumb shelf behind the tang. Great stiffness as well as a flush pic rail along with flush cups.....I fail to see a better stock out there currently.
For reference, mine on a LA was just under 30oz.

J2shooter

Reaction score
I'll jump in with the clymer as well. I've got it on my 6.5 SAUM. Awesome stock. The flush cups and flush pic rail are really nice touches especially when doing load work in a shooting bench scenario where you're using a front bag/rest.

matt_3479

Reaction score
God a lot of love for that clymer! Going to see if I can source it

DerekS

Reaction score
I decided to get an AG Composites adjustable. I won't get it till the June time frame. Can't speak to the ergos if it yet. I do have a Mcmillan A3-5 and love that stock. I would probably get the A-3 if I had it to do over, but I'm super happy with the A3-5.

J2shooter

Reaction score
God a lot of love for that clymer! Going to see if I can source it
I've been on the gunwerks site a couple times lately and for some reason I can't get to component stocks. Looks like they've been taken down.

Not sure what's going on with that.

Forum Sponsors