Light Bows and Bad Shoulders

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
Ok, just shot my morning session. I paid very close attention to how straight my left arm was. It is almost locked but not locked. So any more would lock it. I also made sure my grip hand was high as possible and all the grip pressure was on the meat below my thumb. My index finger felt a fletching touch it once as my hand is always relaxed and partially open. So cant go much higher. So there is all that.

SierraJoe

Reaction score
Check out the Ultraview Ultragrip. Has a nice high finger guard, as well as a long and wide flat back to it. I’ve found it great for larger hands, and getting more palm pressure. Your RX-4 is a fantastic bow….we just may need to continue to tweak it to get you 100% comfortable with it.
This is very interesting to me and something I have thought about a lot. I have seen on target how much my grip plays with torquing the bow and other adverse effects. Can the Ultragrip help with keeping everything lined up and neutral? It only appears to made for Hoyt. Are there similar options for BowTech Solution bows?

Jmoran582

Reaction score
I shoot open handed. Just a relaxed hand and the grip is 100% on the meaty part below my thumb. But I will try moving my hand up today. I have big hands, so that may be an issue. I wish I could play with different grip designs and shapes. I have often felt a grip that was better shaped to my hand would be a good thing

When you say open hand, are your fingers loose? I ask cause straight fingers actually have an opposite effect. Do you feel like you have a solid back wall? Or does the bow feel like it’s ready to rocket forward? You want to feel like you are in the trough of the let off.

In my opinion, unless you want a bunch of side stabilizers you will always have movement. Randy ulmer, Levi Morgan, John Dudley all say a small figure 8.

I’d also recommend archery talk. Been on there for years and those guys are super willing to help! Some dudes with a ton of tuner knowledge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broz

Reaction score
When you say open hand, are your fingers loose? I ask cause straight fingers actually have an opposite effect. Do you feel like you have a solid back wall? Or does the bow feel like it’s ready to rocket forward? You want to feel like you are in the trough of the let off.

In my opinion, unless you want a bunch of side stabilizers you will always have movement. Randy ulmer, Levi Morgan, John Dudley all say a small figure 8.

I’d also recommend archery talk. Been on there for years and those guys are super willing to help! Some dudes with a ton of tuner knowledge

Maybe a better description would be loose fist. Fingers still curled, thumb relaxed but not gripping the grip at all. Loose hand. I have a solid wall that I smoothly draw against. Then keep enough pressure on it to have resistance between my hands pulling to the wall. If that makes sense?

I have read that a lot about the figure 8. Mine is not a pattern. It is more random but definitely more left to right with occasionally an up or down dip. I do wait and concentrate until the pin settles down a little on aim point them fire as smooth and quick as I can. I am really starting to believe that a lot of this is indeed from all the shoulder and bicep tears. But I also believe I can keep building muscle and find the best combination for my condition.

FWIW, I have hunted with bows for over 30 years with some off seasons. I use to be a pretty decent shot. I still am confident at 50, and killed a great bull last year with this bow at 65 yards. But I still feel I can be better than I am. So the quest continues. I guess the challenge keeps it fun.

Jmoran582

Reaction score
Maybe a better description would be loose fist. Fingers still curled, thumb relaxed but not gripping the grip at all. Loose hand. I have a solid wall that I smoothly draw against. Then keep enough pressure on it to have resistance between my hands pulling to the wall. If that makes sense?

I have read that a lot about the figure 8. Mine is not a pattern. It is more random but definitely more left to right with occasionally an up or down dip. I do wait and concentrate until the pin settles down a little on aim point them fire as smooth and quick as I can. I am really starting to believe that a lot of this is indeed from all the shoulder and bicep tears. But I also believe I can keep building muscle and find the best combination for my condition.

FWIW, I have hunted with bows for over 30 years with some off seasons. I use to be a pretty decent shot. I still am confident at 50, and killed a great bull last year with this bow at 65 yards. But I still feel I can be better than I am. So the quest continues. I guess the challenge keeps it fun.

At least you are working at it. Guys down here in Texas pull their bows out in September, make sure they are hitting within 6-9” at 30 yards and then that’s it

I’d also recommend shooting further distance. The full moon guys recommend it and I’ve done it as well. Your pin wiggle will seem gone at 40yds if you practice putting shots in a pie plate from 70-80 yards

Broz

Reaction score
At least you are working at it. Guys down here in Texas pull their bows out in September, make sure they are hitting within 6-9” at 30 yards and then that’s it

I’d also recommend shooting further distance. The full moon guys recommend it and I’ve done it as well. Your pin wiggle will seem gone at 40yds if you practice putting shots in a pie plate from 70-80 yards

I use to shoot at 100 a lot. But have reeled it in since the last shoulder blew. This was a couple at 100 about 3 or 4 years ago.
2 at 100.jpg

Spreedizzle

Reaction score
This is very interesting to me and something I have thought about a lot. I have seen on target how much my grip plays with torquing the bow and other adverse effects. Can the Ultragrip help with keeping everything lined up and neutral? It only appears to made for Hoyt. Are there similar options for BowTech Solution bows?
I have the same grip for my Mathews V3. High grip and palm pressure will keep you lined up as more force is exerted through bone as opposed to joints. That aids with less pin float.

OSOK - Crash

Reaction score
I have the same grip for my Mathews V3. High grip and palm pressure will keep you lined up as more force is exerted through bone as opposed to joints. That aids with less pin float.
Did your Mathews come with a wood or walnut grip? My Heli-M did. Not sure I can remove it.

Spreedizzle

Reaction score
Did your Mathews come with a wood or walnut grip? My Heli-M did. Not sure I can remove it.
Ahhhh…..the Heli M was a great bow when it was released…..still is a hell of a bow that rivals the Hoyt Carbons for weight, without the Hollow feeling shock post shot.
I personally love the feel of their contoured wood grip, but it is very rounded and full, and not great if you are uncertain of your form. Mathews did offer the Focus Grip for this series as a flatter alternative. Im sure you could find it on eBay somewhere.

OSOK - Crash

Reaction score
Ahhhh…..the Heli M was a great bow when it was released…..still is a hell of a bow that rivals the Hoyt Carbons for weight, without the Hollow feeling shock post shot.
I personally love the feel of their contoured wood grip, but it is very rounded and full, and not great if you are uncertain of your form. Mathews did offer the Focus Grip for this series as a flatter alternative. Im sure you could find it on eBay somewhere.
Would I end up ruining the walnut grip taking it off?

Jmoran582

Reaction score
I’ve actually heard of dudes going no grip, just the riser so they can get that super flat surface before they started making flat back grips

Spreedizzle

Reaction score
Would I end up ruining the walnut grip taking it off?
Mathews grips are on there with double sided tape. You should be able to work it back and forth and remove it. If it is stubborn, hit it with some lite heat, like a hair dryer, and go at it again and it will come off.

OSOK - Crash

Reaction score
Mathews grips are on there with double sided tape. You should be able to work it back and forth and remove it. If it is stubborn, hit it with some lite heat, like a hair dryer, and go at it again and it will come off.
Thanks! I will keep this in mind. I used to hate the grip, but I've been shooting with it for so many years now, that I'm kinda used to it.

Forum Sponsors