Lets Talk Arrows for 2020

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
Hey all. I am awaiting the arrival of my new Hoyt Carbon RX-4 Alpha. I have a Hamskea Hybrid Hunter Pro micro tune rest, Hoyt 4 arrow carbon quiver and carbon stabilizer. I am lightening things up a bit. So I want to order arrows. Not looking for real heavy stuff, but want to choose the best spine number and design for elk hunting accuracy.
Bow draw weight is 65 lbs
Arrow length is 31"
Probably use a 100 gr head

I have a bunch of Victory VAP .166 Elite 300's , with 4 vane AAE MAX vanes set up. They weigh 439 gr. complete. But I am thinking those may be a little stiff?

Above all I want accuracy at distance.

Talk to me!

Thanks
Jeff

Brendan

Reaction score
You're actually not trending too stiff, you're trending perfect to maybe a hair weak, so I'd stay with a 300 shaft (Spine program output below with some guesses on specs)

Some observations:

* Try your existing arrows and see how they fly

* I assumed a 29.5" draw length. With that DL, that bow, that rest, you can probably run an arrow as short as 28" carbon-to-carbon. That stiffens up the arrow considerably and would allow you to add more point weight (heavier insert) Would give you a better flying, better penetrating arrow.

* I prefer a 5mm shaft as opposed to a micro diameter shaft. Examples: Easton Axis or Black Eagle Rampage. The reason mainly has to do with components and being able to run standard thread broadheads without an outsert. I like a 50 grain Easton Brass HIT insert, or Iron Will. I like Iron Will broadheads and collars.

It's getting close to the season - if you're ordering stuff, you need to do it fast or see what you can get locally! Let me know if you want me to run any other numbers.

Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 10.12.16 AM.png

Last edited:

Brendan

Reaction score
And, if you made me pick a build for you right now, assuming I got your draw length correct, it'd be:

Black Eagle Rampage 300, cut to 28" carbon to carbon (Easton Axis is another great option, but a little heavier and slower)
50 grain Easton Brass HIT Insert (or, Iron Will HIT Insert)
125 Grain Easton RPS Field Points for Practice
100 Grain Iron Will Broadhead and 25 Grain Iron Will Impact Collar for Hunting
4 AAE Max Stealth Vanes

(I run both the Rampage and the Axis set up almost exactly like this, cut a little shorter, drawing 73#, Hoyt RX1 Ultra)

Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 7.22.58 AM.png

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
Thanks for that info.

My arrow is actually 29.25" carbon to carbon

The bow is a 30" draw length, but I could end up at 29.5" so somewhere in there.

Brace height is 6.125"

Axel to axel is 29.5"

I agree I should try the arrows I have. They are all straight and ready to go. With the 4 vanes AAE Max I could probably go to a 125 head and be ok.

Thanks

Brendan

Reaction score
If they measure 29.25, spine should be just about perfect depending on the insert weight, so your current arrows should shoot fine.

If you buy new ones, I do like the Rampage or Axis cut a little shorter, but with more weight up front.

Updated my original post to tweak the results for your current setup.

rfurman24

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
I am a Black Eagle guy but what you have should work very well.

MudMuppet

Reaction score
I also have those same VAPs cut to 28 I also have a 30 inch with 72 lb draw around 175 up front with a total weight of 485, ive shot 125 heads also to see if they’d tune with 200 up front and showed no signs of being weak bare shaft testing or long distance broadheads. The program shows weak but what it doesn’t account for is the dynamic spine stops flexing at the insert so I’m running a 75 grain insert thats 2 inches long so the dynamic spine is 26. There’s no reason those arrows won’t work for you, but if your just looking for new ones the victory RIP tko 300 is an excellent shaft with a 75 grain insert 125 head and a 10 grain footer in around 505 with a wrap and 4 fletch and are very durable. With your draw length you can go heavier arrows and still have plenty of speed. What heads are you shooting?

MCosenzo

Reaction score
I think your setup will be fine, though I can tell you spine charts are not always accurate with some of the more efficient cams on the market.
To give you an idea, 29.5 83 pounds, if you look at a spine chart I should fall into a 250 shaft, well with the iron will system you are essential cutting an inch of shaft off, so that changes the dynamic spine. I ran up to 200 grains of point weight and it still tore stiff. We just dropped to a 300 spine and did the same procedure and it again tore stiff.
My bow tech with his Elite at 29.5 at 75 pounds is running a 400 spine and it tuned perfectly, though the same shaft in a 45 recurve with 175 up front was showing slightly weak. I think you will see a overall for some spine charts and cam system in the near future.

Forum Sponsors