Leica Pro's

6.5x47

Reaction score
My 10x32 Pro's arrived just over 3 weeks back and I could not be happier.

I started using Leica's about a decade back with the Leica 1600 LRF moving to the 1600B. Killed a nice Montana 4x4 with the 1600's at 500 yds with my 6.5x47 pushing a Barnes 127 LRX @ 2800 fps.

Moving on I sold both my beloved Zeiss 10x40B' bino's and the 1600B's.... I went to the new Geovid 10x42 HD-B's. Using them I made 3 LR kills on elk over a 7 year period along with numerous, non-LR kills.

Moving into NRL Hunter matches two and 1/2 years back I realized I needed more. Along came a pair of 10x42 3200.com's. Didn't kill anything but lots of steel in the 16 months I had them but I did run them in numerous NRL Hunter matches. Learned very quickly not to try and keep them bluetoothed with my Kestrel 5700 Elite; which had about an 18" bluetooth range. Constantly lost bluetooth connectivity and it took precious time to reconnect. On their own they worked pretty darn well; as long as the winds weren't too bad; angled and fast. Kept a wind dope chart on my arm.

Last February at the Hunting and Conservation Expo in Salt Lake City I finally ran into my long time Leica mentor; Hamilton Boykin. I've spent many phone calls and countless emails having him talk/walk me through setting up and uisng my Leica optics. At the Expo he said when I had a chance stop by the Lieca booth because we needed to talk. OH BOY! This might cost me $$$. Several hours later I plopped into his directors chair, in their booth, with my lunch I listened intently as he described the new Leica Geovid 10x32 Compact Pro's. I was sold and immediately filled out an order form. That was February. Guess lots of folks got their orders in before me since it took 7+ months to get them. I've since spent 3 extended weekends in the Utah mountains really putting them through their paces. My favorite way to glass is to plop them into the Leica binocular tripod adapter which is then set into a Really Right Stuff Anvil 30 head and it sits on top of a Two Vets brand "The Ruck" light weight tripod. Adjusted to my eyes it's simply an absolute joy to glass. The Pro's have a 10 meter bluetooth range when connected to my Kestrel 5700 Elite. They can easily be set to retain their connectivity for 1, 3 or 5 minutes at which point they turn off; saving battery life. Re-connectivity is super quick and easy. Three/3 seconds seems too long for some......well, for me once I realized when hitting the primary button, waiting approx 2 seconds for the aiming circle to stop spinning and hitting the primary (ranging) button again; BAM; i'm back in the game with with yardage/dope/wind; 3 seconds total. Adding the Applied Ballistics Elite takes the ranging/dope abilities beyond 2500 yds instead of the 875 it comes set up for. The other evening I ranged a spot up on the small mountain behind my house at 2556 yds; gave me dial up and wind hold. The wind hold is from what ever I last programed into the Pro's the previous weekend when I was out hunting. This is great if i'm not using my Kestrel 5700 Elite. Programing wind direction and speed is quick and intuitive. Now, if i'm out and about where a shot could come from any direction this is where the Kestrel comes in handy. I take a wind reading with the Kestrel and go hiking or glassing around; an hour later or a week later. When I get ready to prep for a shot, simply hitting the primary/ranging button also turns the bluetooth on and connection is nearly instant; 1-2 seconds and another 1 second to range and receive dope/wind. It's that good. It's that fast! The Pro's take a compass heading in the direction I just lased and computes the wind based upon the last Kestrel wind reading.

Now, for the Basemap app. No issues so far. Twice the previous weekend, I used it to mark an animal which had just been shot. My buddy shot his buck at 600 yds. We could have hiked directly to it but instead, what we did was to lase a yardage and direction, it automatically dropped a pin on the Basemap app on my 4+ year old Samsung Galaxy 9+. We went back to our vehicles and drove around, closer to the buck. We still had to cross a small draw following the pin right to the buck as it was getting dark. The next evening I shot my small buck at 588 yds, from one plateau to another, across a small canyon just 20 minutes before dark. This time we absolutely had to drive around, taking 20 minutes to do so. Arrived in the dark and again, followed the Basemap pin right to the buck. I've got a great video, through the Pro's, which were set on top of the tripod, shooting the buck.

As far as Leica CS. My 3200's did have ranging issues last April at an NRL Hunter match in April. I sent them to Leica the next day and received a brand new pair just in time for the NRL 22 National Championship, Memorial Day weekend in Missouri. I continued to use the new 3200's until the Pro's arrived. The 3200's arrived at their new home day before yesterday.

So far, I can't say enough good things about the Pro's.

Alan

6.5x47

Reaction score
Two weeks after writing this, the Geoid Pro's were given a chance to shine again. Three long, 3-4 day, weekends in a row, I was out looking for bull, buck, cow and black bear. All to no avail, in the one area; not even a fresh track/dropping. I pulled the small buck from within the same unit but at a much lower elevation. The area i'd been frequenting was at 8000'-8500'; BLM transition zone. The higher, 9000'-10000'+ elevation is all private. Not once in those 3 weekends did I use long johns or anything more than a long sleeve shirt and maybe a light Kuiu vest. So frickin warm. Well, we finally received several storms, both cooling things off and droping a few inches of snow. Took last Thursday off work so i'd have a 4-day weekend to finish out the cow hunt. A young man who also had a cow tag and a valid buck tag acompanied me. We hiked to my spot in the dark, in time for first light to greet us at my 1st intended glassing spot. He immediately started "hand" glassing while I set up my Two Vets "The Ruck" tripod along with the Leica Bino Harness to hold the Pro's steady. Spent about 1-15 minutes glassing the areas in front of me. On a whim I angled my body around 90+ degrees to my right to peer between two juniper trees. Shazam!!! A small groups of cows, calves and a spike. Bull season closed over a week earlier. My gut reaction was we needed to get closer. As I glassed the animals I popped a range on them; 700 yds. Close enough. On the tripod I swapped out the Leica's for my Zeiss 65mm spotter, attached the ScopeCamAdapter then my Samsung phone so my young partner could film. He's the one who filmed the shot on the buck two weeks earlier. I went sidehill prone, extending the left leg of my Hatch Outwest bipod much futher down. I'm LOVING this bipod. Raising my Pro's I ranged a cow and got 640. Seems the basin they were in was looping them closer in yardage. I got on the rifle but could not find them. Seems as they were moving right to left they put a juniper tree, 20 yds to my front, between them and me. I had to pickup and move to my right and a few yards closer. With a mostly clear view on my end I still had to hurry as they were getting ready to move back onto private property as the sun was a few minutes from rising and they were on the move. The Geovid Pro's "quickly" gave me dope and wind; 5 mph 3/4 value from 2. Dialed 9.8 moa, checked to make sure the camera was rolling and touched the trigger. At 630 yds she dropped in a heap. THESE THINGS ARE FRICKIN AWESOME!!!!

Alan

Forum Sponsors