Legality?

caleb

Reaction score
I am in Eastern Washington and have wondered, but never persued the answer from the horses mouth. On private land, not intended to be used for commercial use and other than insurance what would a guy have to go through to legally have a shooting range on him land.

Just kind of wondering, cause you don't here of many ranges around where a guy would possibly be able to go and shoot mid range distances (600 yards) around. I could imagine you don't hear much about them so the crowd or word doesn't spread like fire, but there has got to be some out there.

Eventually i would like to have one when i can aquire the amount of land needed or have a decent amount backed up to f.s. land.

I have thought a lot about what i would have on it and what it would take to put it together and where to place berms or pits for different targets and uses. I have even drawn up pictures at work of cover shooting areas and target designs.

One day, huh

HARPERC

Reaction score
I can't say first hand, but have seen folks try to defend existing ranges, and it raises issues with for every agency. Zoning folks and developers also get involved sooner or later. Geographic isolation to a degree helps, but to remote and access is a pain. I read the folks at Thunder Range have been lead free from the beginning believing that issue is growing. A big enough space nobody builds houses next door and bitches about the noise.

Your best source is Google NRA range development. It will take you to their site, and resources. At one time they had grant money to help. Good Luck!

caleb

Reaction score
I knew that the NRA has a lot of info and help for people looking into building, starting ranges.

Just so everyone knows, i do not have the land and am not ready to purchase any rite now, just kind of putting it out there for discussion so when the day does come i have answers and ideas already.

Forum Sponsors