Latest Article on Precision Hunting.

jmden

Reaction score
Some common sense...finally!

mtnwrunner

Long Range High Country Field Editor
Reaction score
Yup, good read. And his one line says it all-----"Long range hunting is definable by the individual, not the hunting community." Period.

yobuck

Reaction score
I dont think you will ever educate some people to change deep rooted opinions on this subject.
There are for more people aware of what we do today than say 30/40 years ago. But that dosent necessarily affect opinions.
Ive gone so far as taking people along for a day so they could see first hand how we go about it. But it mattered not at all.
They were still opposed to hunting in that way. OK for groundhogs, but not deer. I think we need worry more about what we
do, more so than worry about what others think.

Eagles1181

Reaction score
I only have one question about the ethics of long range hunting, and I am hoping you guys (and gals) might be able to answer it for me.

How often do you take a shot, and then have an animal move before to bullet arrives resulting in an injured animal?

Eagle

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
I only have one question about the ethics of long range hunting, and I am hoping you guys (and gals) might be able to answer it for me.

How often do you take a shot, and then have an animal move before to bullet arrives resulting in an injured animal?

Eagle

It has never happened to me and we take a couple dozen animals a year. I view it more as an uneducated myth than a fact. But I do understand it could happen in extreme instances and distances. This is where we need to use self discipline and know when not to take the shot. Knowing when not to shoot is far more important then when to shoot even up close. Time of flight for my 300 win at 600 yards is just over 1/2 a second. For any shot at distance, I do pattern the animal. Most have a patter to their grazing habits that can be learned by watching through the scope a while. I do not know any extended distance precision hunter that would take a shot at a moving animal. But have seen plenty try to "stalk" in close and take a rear end shot at a spooked fleeing animal.

Jeff

jmden

Reaction score
It has never happened to me and we take a couple dozen animals a year. I view it more as an uneducated myth than a fact. But I do understand it could happen in extreme instances and distances. This is where we need to use self discipline and know when not to take the shot. Knowing when not to shoot is far more important then when to shoot even up close. Time of flight for my 300 win at 600 yards is just over 1/2 a second. For any shot at distance, I do pattern the animal. Most have a patter to their grazing habits that can be learned by watching through the scope a while. I do not know any extended distance precision hunter that would take a shot at a moving animal. But have seen plenty try to "stalk" in close and take a rear end shot at a spooked fleeing animal.

Jeff

Well said.

Eagles1181

Reaction score

Jeff

You have addressed my one concern about distance hunting very well. I am also not saying that the problem is exclusive to long range hunting. Bow hunters talk about a deer jumping their string all the time. I have even seen videos of it happening.

Thanks for your answer.

Eagle

HARPERC

Reaction score
Yup, good read. And his one line says it all-----"Long range hunting is definable by the individual, not the hunting community." Period.

I think this nailed it as well. Individualism is unpredictable and frightens the group, regardless of the issue.

Wile E Coyote

Reaction score
I think this nailed it as well. Individualism is unpredictable and frightens the group, regardless of the issue.

Often because many people lack the humility to accept that they are less than perfect. Then that pride goes on to build more imposing obstacles until they are walled in and can no longer see.

Just watch 10 minutes of any new program to see how inflexible people get.

Last edited:

yobuck

Reaction score
Its not even worth the time to try and figure out why some feel as they do.
Im not concerned about being liked by everybody. Im only concerned about being right as to the hunting laws and my own standards.

TXSlayer

Reaction score
Personally speaking, I've seen guys that I hunt with seldom visit the range and go a field with a firearm with an unconfirmed zero some times. Along with the " it was on last year why wouldn't it be one this year" mentality. To me that's way less ethical than long range hunting, at least we are very well practiced for our method. I came under fire for killing an aoudad at 351 yards, a few guys at camp said that, that was unethical. my response was rather harsh dragging a few people under the bus but it entailed that I knew exactly what I was doing pointing out were my bullet landed on it and that the same people in our bunch are always missing, wounding and loosing deer and other game. My ASSHOLE uncle was one othe one's calling me down on it however during deer season he hit a deer through the front part of the brisket tiring to take a neck shot at ~100 yards away. Another guy ended up killing that same deer 10 days later.

But this was a very good article imo

jmden

Reaction score
I recently sent a letter to RMEF President Allen strongly outlining my concerns over Van Zwoll's constant negative sideswipes at long range hunting and long range hunters. Allen himself has recently repeated some of Van Zwoll's poor choice of words. This is very unfortunate. Some may disagree with my actions. I disagree with inaction on this issue when we have folks like Van Zwoll, Allen and B&C propagating false thinking on this issue. I'm reminded of the old saying about what happens if good men do nothing... Make a good argument that makes sense and let these folks know or don't whine when freedoms and choice are restricted based on what someone else has managed to get enough folks to agree with.

338edge

Reaction score
Van Zwoll must have changed his mind. Years ago he had an article written about Johns Burns equipment and philosophy of long range hunting and shooting. I saw a video about that same time with him dialing and shooting at distance.

Forum Sponsors