Kuiu or Sitka

waveslayer

Reaction score
So guys what pieces of clothing are you guys sporting from Kuiu or Sitka? Looking to upgrade my hunting clothes...

What do you guys use for bow hunting early season ?

What are you guys liking for Elk hunting late season?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
Have both, since I started my KUIU collection I have not worn the Sitka once. I wear the same patterns from Early Archery to late rifle. I just add layers. Buy their jackets 1 size larger than you normally wear. They run small.

🙃 Sitka these days is for Bird watching, but does go well with a man bun. 😁
JK
Jeff

Masterdunbar

Reaction score
Kuiu Tiburon for early season. Kenai is a great setup fkr warmth. I’ve ran both for years and feel sitka holds up better but Kuiu is a damn good product just wears out after a few seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rfurman24

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Layering systems are very personal but I feel like Kuiu has the most complete system. I start with a merino base(I will never not use merino) followed by Peloton 240, kenei ultra, and super down pro. You can mix and match for the temps. All of the Kuiu rain gear is great. I think the Kutana is my favortite. For bottoms I actually hate the kuiu zip off merino because the scratchy side of the velcro is towards the skin. It always works its way into position to sand paper my side. It is even worse with a pack on. This is an epic failure in my opinion. I have given feedback with no resolution. It seems like a no brainer to me. I use first lite lower bases but they almost never have inventory.

SierraJoe

Reaction score
I layer similar to what Ryan described above, but with a mix of Kuiu and FirstLite products for various reasons. Both companies make great products. I happen to love the zip-off feature of the merino base layers and got them before FL started doing this also. I do not like the synthetic alternatives. They always end up smelling bad very quickly despite whatever anti-odor treatments they advertise. I think Kuiu tends to be a tad lighter so I have their rain gear and ultra down products. I really like this combo for backpack hunts. I had the rain gear and only the top puffy on over my other usual layers for this morning's hunt in the 20s.

I like Kuiu's puffies a lot. Super warm even in the ultra line. The Pro line makes you feel like the Michelin Man.

OSU Fisher

Reaction score
I have way to much of both. And other brands. I should probably sell some stuff, but I don’t sell anything…. Bad habit. Kuiu hands down is my favorite gear. I think it’s innovative. Fits me best and flat out performs. All my Sitka, firstlite, kryptek etc is mainly used as knock around gear. Personally I think their fit is spot on. I can actually wear a large in tops which moa companies I have to go XL for arm and body length. Now I am 6’2” 180 lbs fit guy. Lift weights 5+ days a week bench 300+ lbs so I’m a muscular skinny 180 haha. The large is on the tighter side which I prefer as I hate baggy gear when hunting. If you are the opposite or more “curvy” size up in kuiu.

Spreedizzle

Reaction score
Have both, since I started my KUIU collection I have not worn the Sitka once. I wear the same patterns from Early Archery to late rifle. I just add layers. Buy their jackets 1 size larger than you normally wear. They run small.

🙃 Sitka these days is for Bird watching, but does go well with a man bun. 😁 JK Jeff

Yeowch. Pretty sure I’d look awful with a man bun…..but then again, I probably look awful already…..
For me, I started getting Sitka pieces about 8 years ago for eastern whitetail hunting. Love the stuff and innovation for a tree stand hunter and as I was preparing to go out west more and more just picked up more of their gear for western style hunting.
I love the gear, runs true to size and has been great for me. But full disclosure…..I haven’t really shopped or looked into another brand.

Taylor692

Reaction score
Kuiu is the only way to go. Period!
I guided Jason Hariston the owner of Kuiu here in NV on a mule deer hunt before he passed away. One of the nicest guy's you would ever meet. Best products and material in the world. Customer Service is great too.

DerekS

Reaction score
I only have experience with rain gear. I have bought First Lite SEAK rain gear, and it is the best hands down. I have had several types and brands of rain gear (yellow PVC to FrogTog) and all have failed. I use my rain gear on my cattle ranch to, and so far it has been a great investment. I have small pieces such as the merino watch cap and light weight neck gaiter, and both are good. I bought the Cipher pattern. That pattern to me is most versatile from duck blind to eastern Oklahoma woods to western Kansas prairie.

Just bought several pairs of their briefs, and hopefully they are worth the price tag. I plan to add more pieces as I need them.

JJMonty

Reaction score
I use Kuiu Vias in the mountains up here. I have allot of their stuff and I have only good things to say about it. Their base layers are very comfortable and the ability to take the bottom base layers off/on without removing your boots is very useful. I really like my Tako 9000 bag too. It holds up well in airline transport and fits in all the bush planes. My most used piece is my Suoer Down Ultra w/ hood. It's very warm and I can pack it down very small into its own pocket.

AXEFORCE6

Reaction score
I’m a first lite guy myself. Their base layers are amazing. I have the guide pants and kiln hoody. Sawtooth hybrid. The brooks hoody. And solitude bibs for long tree stand sits. I’ve never gotten cold in them. I have a different jacket I wear. It’s a mid season bow hunter jacket by scentlok. Voyage series I believe. Very warm, and wool. But not stiff or constricting. I wore my first lite kit in New Mexico. It was down in the 40’s when I was bow hunting there and not once got cold. I had the base layers on, kiln hoody and corrugated guide pants. First lite fusion is what pattern I use other than my solitude bibs. Those are in cipher.

mjspeers

Reaction score
I’m from the Midwest. I have yet to get an opportunity for western hunting. I have no experience with Kuiu. I have Sitka for whitetail and waterfowl. So most of my hunting is static. As far as bow hunting out of a tree, I love the fanatic series. Extremely quiet and very warm, some of the best money I’ve spent. That and comfortable stands help me stay in the tree longer.

Brentc

Reaction score
Hmmm.... Man bun or Flat Brimmer. Guess I'm a man bun guy. 😂 Sitka Subalpine or solid earth tones for me.

I've used a lot of different gear over the years and have grown to appreciate a lot of different pieces. I've mostly landed on Sitka due to personal fit. Another reason is that there are a ton of Gore type materials and a lot of them are close competitors, but they're just not quite there when it comes to gale winds and torrential rain. Cold wind used to cut through my Kuiu layers like a hot knife through butter.

The thing I recently appreciate most about Kuiu is that it holds a good amount of resale value when you need to sell it. The flat brimmers and window lickers line up in droves at the classified forums to collect all the Kuiu stuff that pops up.

I really like the First Lite Corrugate Foundry pants lately. They're comfy, fit perfect, and most importantly, they are useful.

Honestly, though. I mostly go with what I have to spend the least amount of money on. First lite and Sitka both have a substantial military discount. Kuiu is lacking in that regard. 👍

The pieces I use most are:
Tops: Merino base layer (multiple brands) then Sitka Kelvin Active then Sitka Jetstream and/or Sitka Kelvin Lite for stationary use
Bottoms: Synthetic or Merino Base layer (multiple brands) Sitka Mountain Pants or First Lite Corrugate Foundry
Rain gear: Sitka Dewpoint always in my pack

Last edited:

Panthercity

Reaction score
Bow season and even November deer season can be hot in Texas so I love the Sitka ascent pants and the LW core hoody. This is my 2nd year with it. The built in ninja mask is awesome for full concealment in the tree stand. Also great for our sometimes hot Turkey season.

I also wear theses as base layers in Colorado in September, it was hot this year, And that is pretty much all I wore after the sun was up.

I’m not real stinky, so the anti microbial synthetics sitka uses works for me. This year in Colorado with highs in the mid 80s, I sweated in that LW core hoody everyday (and slept in it) and washed it in the creek while I took a bath on day 4 and wore it for the rest of the week. For the most part, I’m done with merino, and I have a lot of it from Kuiu, Firstlite (including their aero wool) and smart wool. It takes too long to dry, isn’t as warm when wet as some would leave you to believe and is too hot when it is hot. I will continue to wear Darn tough socks.

I have full kits from Sitka, Firstlite, kryptek and a bunch of Kuiu and I like Sitka and FL the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJMonty

Reaction score
Hmmm.... Man bun or Flat Brimmer. Guess I'm a man bun guy. 😂 Sitka Subalpine or solid earth tones for me.

I've used a lot of different gear over the years and have grown to appreciate a lot of different pieces. I've mostly landed on Sitka due to personal fit. Another reason is that there are a ton of Gore type materials and a lot of them are close competitors, but they're just not quite there when it comes to gale winds and torrential rain. Cold wind used to cut through my Kuiu layers like a hot knife through butter.

The thing I recently appreciate most about Kuiu is that it holds a good amount of resale value when you need to sell it. The flat brimmers and window lickers line up in droves at the classified forums to collect all the Kuiu stuff that pops up.

I really like the First Lite Corrugate Foundry pants lately. They're comfy, fit perfect, and most importantly, they are useful.

Honestly, though. I mostly go with what I have to spend the least amount of money on. First lite and Sitka both have a substantial military discount. Kuiu is lacking in that regard. 👍

Tops: Merino base layer (multiple brands) then Sitka Kelvin Active then Sitka Jetstream and/or Sitka Kelvin Lite for stationary use
Bottoms: Synthetic or Merino Base layer (multiple brands) Sitka Mountain Pants or First Lite Corrugate Foundry
I'm not sure it fits in the substantial category, but Kuiu does offer MIL/LEO/FR discounts. They just recently changed their program and it goes through GovX now instead of directly through Kuiu.

Brentc

Reaction score
I'm not sure it fits in the substantial category, but Kuiu does offer MIL/LEO/FR discounts. They just recently changed their program and it goes through GovX now instead of directly through Kuiu.

I'm registered for Kuiu's discount, but it's not even close to Sitka and First Lite.

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
I tend to also watch the political moves of each given company for my choices as well. Being here close in Montana I saw somethings that aided in my decision. Nuff said.

I need to pull out all my Sitka and make someone a smoking deal on the lot.

I just started using the KUIU merino wool base layers. They are comfortable and especially in antelope season, where temps are warm, help to keep odor down. The synthetic base layers are a one day deal only unless you have the means to wash them daily. That is a challenge for me at camps.

The KUIU KENAI jackets are my very favorite. Warm enough for even late elk season when layered under. However I did just buy a Super Down Pro guide jacket because I wanted to try one. No feedback on that yet. The pit zips are way awesome for the warm hikes or quicker cool down.

Love the KUIU gloves and they last me 2 or more years. I have one pair that is 4 yrs old and may even attract elk because they pretty much smell like one.

I have probably all the KUIU pants. Like them all with or without a base layer. I do perfer the ones without the pocket flaps for easier access and the side zips are awesome when hiking in warm weather.

I have a set of the light rain gear that lives in my pack and weighs nothing. They go on easy when needed by just slipping over the top of the other layers boots on as they zip up the sides. I have worn them in full rain like bear camp, and also as a wind shield when sitting waiting on late season elk. I think they work very well for both. In fact they have helped a lot in many instances.

The new KUIU bino harness is my go to and the one I use all the time. I have, or have had, pretty much all of them, and I keep going back to it.

I don't pack as much weight as some of you do I am sure. But My favorite pack by far is the KUIU 3200. I use a gun bearer for rifle transport and can also pack a tripod and spotter. Then sill have some room for a bag of meat if needed.

Brentc

Reaction score
I tend to also watch the political moves of each given company for my choices as well. Being here close in Montana I saw somethings that aided in my decision. Nuff said.
I'd rather all of them make the political move to start producing these goods here in the states instead of importing, but that's a topic for another discussion.

Last edited:

OSOK - Crash

Reaction score
I'd rather all of them make the political move to start producing these goods here in the states instead of importing, but that's a topic for another discussion.
Margins definitely high with the price of some of this gear and being made over seas.

Spreedizzle

Reaction score

Kelvin lite 3/4 pants are my fave. I’m very hot blooded and will hike in a core synthetic base down to 20 degrees. Get stationary to glass and out comes the kelvin lites over top, and maybe a mountain jacket if the wind is moving.

Alex Wheeler

Reaction score
Dont know about Kuiu but most Sitka stuff is from china. No American loving gun owner should be sending money to china in my opinion if there is any other option. I dont like the fit of any of it, skinny fore arms, high crotches, and high arm pits drive me nuts. I think they have taken the athletic fit too far. Definitely try it on. Once you notice all that fabric bunched up under your arm pit you cant stop messing with it.

Last edited:

Ladd

Reaction score
91D9465A-F549-44BB-9458-CE064FC31182.jpeg I don’t want to push this further in a political way but I was disappointed when I noticed my KUIU gear was labeled, made in China, last week while hunting.

I wear both KUIU and Sitka depending on how I feel that morning...hunter killer with a man bun or stealth predator. Collecting more KUIU each year. Verde 2.0 blends so well in our elk forests around here.

Can’t agree more with Ryan’s thinking regarding laying and the clothing type.

chicoredneck

Reaction score
The only Kuiu items I have are pants. I’ve been disappointed. I really like the features of their pants and they fit me well. However, both Kuiu pants I have lacked durability and were full of holes from just a few outings. My wife has Sitka pants and they have held up really well.

Spreedizzle

Reaction score
View attachment 8715 I don’t want to push this further in a political way but I was disappointed when I noticed my KUIU gear was labeled, made in China, last week while hunting.

I wear both KUIU and Sitka depending on how I feel that morning...hunter killer with a man bun or stealth predator. Collecting more KUIU each year. Verde 2.0 blends so well in our elk forests around here.

Stealth Man Bun….??? ;)

Alex Wheeler

Reaction score
View attachment 8715 I don’t want to push this further in a political way but I was disappointed when I noticed my KUIU gear was labeled, made in China, last week while hunting.

Thats too bad. There are other places in the world that do fabric work cheap that are not actively trying to destroy our country. Personally if it says china I will pass. I was thinking Kuiu was getting stuff made in Vietnam. Maybe it was just their packs. I did have one of their packs I was real happy with.

J300UM

Reaction score
I’ve been running Skre Gear mid and outer layers and First Lite’s base layers for a few years. Skre still doesn’t have the amount of offerings as the “big 3” companies but Mike Wand is one of the nicest guys I’ve met in the industry and has always treated me great. I’m not sure about all their gear but, the last time I spoke with him, he had just returned from Japan where he was going over fabrics for a new line.

Ladd

Reaction score
Thats too bad. There are other places in the world that do fabric work cheap that are not actively trying to destroy our country. Personally if it says china I will pass. I was thinking Kuiu was getting stuff made in Vietnam. Maybe it was just their packs. I did have one of their packs I was real happy with.
It looks like it depends. Another KUIU Guide jacket of mine is made in Vietnam.

Quicksilver

Reaction score
For early season the kuiu tibouron is tough to beat. I’ve been very happy with mine. My bear season starts august 1 and having something that breathes so well makes a difference. On top of that in the morning dew or if you get a shot of rain, it dries out extremely fast and is another positive for it, this goes for sweat as well.

Forum Sponsors