KUIU Kutana Storm Shell Rain Gear Review

ShtrRdy

Reaction score
Thanks for the run down Ryan! I appreciate the comparison to the other models.

Do the thigh pockets have a y sort of storm flap over the zipper?

rfurman24

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
No flap over zippers. The zippers are waterproof. I personally do not like flaps over any zipper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jeffrey Dohl

Reaction score
Thanks for the run down Ryan! I appreciate the comparison to the other models.

Do the thigh pockets have a y sort of storm flap over the zipper?
Love the run down. Know their product is outstanding. No offense to anyone but, that's like way to expensive for my pockets. Do they have a cheaper alternative? Like 1/2 to 3/4 cheaper. Maybe $250 max.

Thanks
Jeff D

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
They have the Northridge series in your budget. It will not be nearly as water resistant. If I were you I would stretch the budget and step up to the Chugach. It is very hard to keep your head in the game when you are cold and wet. Due to Kuiu's retail model there is no one that can compete when it comes to what you get for your money. I do believe Fristlite is moving to this same model but don't quote me. Kuiu has the most extensive clothing line for the hunter. They have a clothing piece that will cover any need.

Last edited:

gallahersg

Reaction score
first off, great review! I am wondering what your view on the noise level of the Kutana rain paint/jacket and how it may fair with stalking during archery. Thanks!

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
first off, great review! I am wondering what your view on the noise level of the Kutana rain paint/jacket and how it may fair with stalking during archery. Thanks!

I think the noise level is less than many if not most rain jackets I have tried which is most from all major hunting companies. It is very similar to the KUIU Yukon.

youngbuck

Reaction score
My Kutana rain gear is louder than my Sitka Storm front, but much much lighter.

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
My Kutana rain gear is louder than my Sitka Storm front, but much much lighter.

This is why clothing reviews are so subjective. I think my storm front was far louder than either the Yukon or the Kutana. I dont know if Sitka has different versions as they are bad about recycling names but mine was indeed louder. In any case I dont understand the noise issue with rain gear. If I am wearing rain gear the rain is almost always louder than the noise the gear is going to make.

youngbuck

Reaction score
Perhaps the Kuiu was louder to me because it was brand new and the Sitka has been worn. My Sitka set is about 2 years old and Kuiu right out of the package. The noise holds little weight with me either.

goosedog

Reaction score
Love the run down. Know their product is outstanding. No offense to anyone but, that's like way to expensive for my pockets. Do they have a cheaper alternative? Like 1/2 to 3/4 cheaper. Maybe $250 max.

Thanks
Jeff D

Look at the outdoor research foray jacket no camo just solid colors I have used this jacket for years and love it amazon has them

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score

Thanks
Jeff D

I would personally stretch the budget and get the Chugach NX at $299. If you absolutely can not do that I would look at the First lite Vapor stormlight.

Pecos

Reaction score
Kutana vs Yukon ? I’m about to pull the trigger on one but was curious what your pick would be ?

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
Kutana vs Yukon ? I’m about to pull the trigger on one but was curious what your pick would be ?
I think kutana for more stationary hunting. Yukon if always moving.

Forum Sponsors