KELBLY'S KODA Rifle Review

Nevada Smith

Reaction score
Attached is their "Sell Sheet" for their Koda rifle.

Some info direct from Kelbly:

The barrel length is 26".

We have to sell through the first 1,000 before we start adding calibers to it. The price is so good because we have purchased so many parts.

The tang of the action isn't bedded because the stocks arrive here fully finished and there is no feasible way to cleanly bed that area without causing the stock finish irreparable damage. They shoot great, the first test rifle that went to writers shot a 3" group at 565 yards with factory ammo.

We have both calibers in stock, ready to ship.

Attachments

rfurman24

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Attached is their "Sell Sheet" for their Koda rifle.

Some info direct from Kelbly:

The barrel length is 26".

We have to sell through the first 1,000 before we start adding calibers to it. The price is so good because we have purchased so many parts.

The tang of the action isn't bedded because the stocks arrive here fully finished and there is no feasible way to cleanly bed that area without causing the stock finish irreparable damage. They shoot great, the first test rifle that went to writers shot a 3" group at 565 yards with factory ammo.

We have both calibers in stock, ready to ship.

Based on the way the rifle shoots it clearly does not need the tang bedded but every stock I have ever owned was identical in the tang area. I, as well as anyone else who fully beds a rifle, grind the tang area out to give a good bedding area. If they have pillars obviously you need to grind around them.

Nevada Smith

Reaction score
Ryan, two questions for you:

1) which Leupold scope is that?

2) Re: single feeding; Could one make a P-Mag into a single-feed mag by alterating the feed lips? If so then it would be worth it to me to sacrifice one P-Mag for this purpose. (Otherwise it's $55 for a SLED)

Last edited:

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
Ryan, two questions for you:

1) which Leupold scope is that?

2) Re: single feeding; Could one make a P-Mag into a single-feed mag by alterating the feed lips? If so then it would be worth it to me to sacrifice one P-Mag for this purpose. (Otherwise it's $55 for a SLED)
It is the 3.6-18 MK5. You may be able to mod a p mag but I would just get the sled.

Nevada Smith

Reaction score
I'm not a gunsmith, so I'd like to ask what is the advantage to the "dual pin" recoil lug? Is the recoil lug being held with just the dual pins, or in addition to something else? :confused:

Also, have you any actual muzzel velocity measurement comparisons for their 26" barrel vs. another rifle with a 24" or 20" barrel with the same ammo? I wondering what actual (not theroritical) FPS will come from a 26" barrel.

Ian A. Kelbly

Reaction score
Thank you Ryan for the great in depth review! Glad to have someone that has such experience going through our product.

The KODA has been over a year in the making. Refining our processes, seeing where we can save labor, buying tons of parts, and testing. On the bedding, we tested both ways and found that we could skip the tang, possible paint damage from bedding the tang and saving a ton of labor. Little things like this make it possible to sell this rifle at $2499.

We want to give a huge thank you to our suppliers for helping out so much with this rifle package and giving us the ability to deliver a ton of value for a great price to our customers! The KODA is in stock in both calibers.

Thank you!
Ian A Kelbly

Nevada Smith

Reaction score
Here's another reply from Kelbly to one of my questions, "Is the bore of the barrel also nitrided?"

Reply from Ian Kelbly: "The bore of the KODA rifle is nitrided. We use Krieger barrels, which are hand lapped to remove all burrs and tool marks. So they are super accurate, easy to clean, and have a bit more longevity than a standard steel bore.

We have had excellent luck with BlackNitride and I do all of my personal match rifles in BlackNitride
."

Note: BlackNitride is a trademark of H & M Metal Processing Company for "metal treatment through a three step process of cold treating, salt bath treating, and fluoropolymer coating"

Reference (article): The Pros and Cons of Nitride Barrel Finishes

Last edited:

Nevada Smith

Reaction score
Trivia:

So why name the action "Atlas?"

Ian said, "Because it's a bear, and all of our actions are named after bears." (Kodiak, Panda, and Grizzly)

Just as a bit of history; the Atlas bear was a rather stout, reddish brown bear that had been the prize of many hunters going back to the time of Romans. Named after the Atlas mountain range where it was most common, the Atlas bear was a subspecies of what we know as the common Brown Bear of North America. Inhabiting the Atlas Mountains and neighboring areas, from Morocco to Libya, it is the only bear thought to have lived in Africa. It is thought that the species became extinct somewhere around the late 1800s.

Last edited:

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not a gunsmith, so I'd like to ask what is the advantage to the "dual pin" recoil lug? Is the recoil lug being held with just the dual pins, or in addition to something else? :confused:

Also, have you any actual muzzel velocity measurement comparisons for their 26" barrel vs. another rifle with a 24" or 20" barrel with the same ammo? I wondering what actual (not theroritical) FPS will come from a 26" barrel.
Pinned recoil lugs keep the recoil lug in place as you torque the barrel. The barrel is keeping the recoil lug in place the pins keep it clocked. This ammo as with pretty much everything I have tested loses about 25fps per inch. I don't shoot 20" barrels. Ive tested the 156 Berger Creedmoor ammo in a 24" and a 26".

Nitriding is done in a bath. It would be extremely difficult to just nitride certain places on a given part i.e. a barrel.

Nevada Smith

Reaction score
Ryan;

Who did you buy your Koda from? (I ask because Kelbly's dealer list is outdated, and I couldn't find one on their list.)

Forum Sponsors