I Missed,... Big Time!

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
I probably should share this experience in the sub forum "When Things Go wrong" But since it is a real life hunting story. I will put it here.

This thread is where we can discuss and ask questions about my hunting article "I Missed,.. Big Time!"

To read this story please go HERE

Last edited:

ABC1000

Reaction score
I probably should share this experience in the sub forum "When Things Go wrong" But since it is a real life hunting story. I will put it here.

This thread is where we can discuss and ask questions about my hunting article "I Missed,.. Big Time!"

To read this story please go HERE

thanks for the article Jeff. I have a couple of guns that are approaching that point that I

Yoteklr

Reaction score
Sure seems like my 300wm barrels last a lot longer than 600.
I was just considering a 30N build but I may just leave well enough alone.
Jeff, are you loading N570 for your 30N?? If so do you feel this is a major contributing factor?

HARPERC

Reaction score
I think barrel tolerances, and wear, play an underestimated role in bullet terminal performance, as well as accuracy.

Thanks for putting it out there for review.

Broz

Reaction score
Jeff, are you loading N570 for your 30N?? If so do you feel this is a major contributing factor?
Yes, I load 570 in several rifles and this is the first barrel I have burn out with it. The rest are doing just fine. So I really do not have enough data to say I can blame the powder.

I ordered a barrel today. This rifle will go back together in 300 Win Mag.

Jeff

Broz

Reaction score
I think barrel tolerances, and wear, play an underestimated role in bullet terminal performance, as well as accuracy.

Thanks for putting it out there for review.
The part that blows me away is that it went all at once. From a great shooter to foul balls like you flipped a switch.

Jeff

BClrh

Reaction score
Shawn Carlock has said he believes n570 loaded at max could cut barrel life in half compared to h1000. Vihtavuori's own literature says that there will be less barrel life with there double base powder line. No one likes to hear it because it can achieve such great velocities, but as always physics rules and there is always a price for increased performance.

Tmmdcampbell

Reaction score
Yes very interested in the bore scope and your further thoughts. My rifle is patterned after yours except in a 300 WM. Even been using N570. Great velocity and very accurate. Dan makes very accurate rifles. Think you will use N570 in your rebarreled 300 WM?

Broz

Reaction score
Yes very interested in the bore scope and your further thoughts. My rifle is patterned after yours except in a 300 WM. Even been using N570. Great velocity and very accurate. Dan makes very accurate rifles. Think you will use N570 in your rebarreled 300 WM?
Going to drop to 26" barrel length and probably back to my pet load with H-1000 in some Lapua brass I have had stashed for years. I will be happy with a 300 win at a very accurate 2900 + fps and I know it will be a killer. The old stand by.

Jeff

Greg Duley

Reaction score
Have you tried using an abrasive like KG2 on the throat Jeff? It will extend the life of barrel burners quite a bit in our experience, and we've burnt out a few. That is one reason why we go for more capacity and run moderate pressures, instead of ringing the neck of smaller cases because the brass can hack it. Pressure kills barrels as much as capacity all else being equal.

J300UM

Reaction score
I feel your pain. I blew it on an early season cow hunt this year... at only 300 yds!!! I was dialed up for 780yds earlier that morning and had some guys drive down a closed 2 track and blow the herd out. I was mad enough that I forgot to turn my turret back down. a couple hours later we relocated the herd. Utilizing my fat boy ninja skills, I slipped into 300 yards, got set up, and let it fly... swing and a miss! Yours was a weapon failure (so to speak). Mine was anger driven stupidity! Hopefully my wiff at half the distance of yours makes you feel a little better about it HAHA! Oh, and I did get redemption later that evening!

lbirch

Reaction score
This has been an interesting read. I appreciate the info.

I keep the round count on my rifles in a book for each rifle. I wonder how long the 6.5 PRC with the 156 gr Berger EOL with N565 will last.

Last edited:

lbirch

Reaction score
Going to drop to 26" barrel length and probably back to my pet load with H-1000 in some Lapua brass I have had stashed for years. I will be happy with a 300 win at a very accurate 2900 + fps and I know it will be a killer. The old stand by.

Jeff

I take it that you're through with N570 and/or the 30N. Vihtavuori will be very interested in your answer.

Broz

Reaction score
I take it that you're through with N570 and/or the 30N. Vihtavuori will be very interested in your answer.
I am not through with any Vihavuori powders. Especially N 570. It is the best performing powder in many rifles I have tested it in. In fact I was hunting with it today. The 30 N I am not sure, but I may just opt for a 300 win for old reliable and a big 30 for fun and performance.

Jeff

Hunt West

Reaction score
My 28N done the exact same thing at approximately the same shot count. Mine would stack a couple shots then throw a flier 2-3 moa left. Luckily I caught mine just before hunting season got going.

EdgeFan

Reaction score
My LRKM in 338 Edge did the same thing, one day usual half moa then the next id get cold bore flyer, then 2nd round flyer it was all over the map. N570 did a number on my edge.....just over 300rds. My experience was on targets so not as painful.

Thanks for sharing Jeff

Win94ae

Reaction score
My 30-30 does that now. It took me a good long time to figure it out, but my bore is like a funnel, the throat end is huge! I found out when I slugged the bore, i started at the muzzle, and about 3 inches in the bullet fell all the way through. Bore looks perfect, but not very shiny.

It shoots great, but every 15 or so shots, it hits 6MOA high. I figure I got more than 12,000 shots through it.

Stretchr

Reaction score
Great article, thank you.

600 seems low by initial shock but I think a lot of people greatly overestimate the life span of their big powder cartridge barrels. Seems some people get lucky and their 1/2 gun becomes a 1 inch gun, others like you are not so lucky.

Glad you got the bear and glad you found the issue. Not trusting a rifle is an awful feeling.

Last edited:

Micawber

Reaction score
Jeff, just wondering if you or any other readers use the Stoney Point/Hornady Lock and Load OAL gauge to determine seating depth. Every new barrel I get I measure the depth and keep that bullet set aside. Then use that same bullet to re measure the throat at various shot counts throughout the barrels life. When I had the barrel replaced on my 300 WM, I was at 900+ rounds with about .100 erosion if I remember right.

Micawber

Reaction score
I might have read over it if you posted it, but do you remember how much throat erosion you had at the end of its life?

Micawber

Reaction score
Thanks for info. Really enjoying your guys stories and reviews.

Yoteklr

Reaction score
About -.040" (off memory) when it started scaling and loosing small chunks.
A friend of mine is a Service Rifle High master and swears by Tubbs Final Finish. It smooths out the edges of the fire cracking scales.
I refused to do it for years fearing that it would erode the lands. Last week I shot four Final finish bullets in a 26 Nosler that has 350+ rounds and pretty bad firecracking in the first 1 1/2". Afterwards this rifle shot a 5 shot group .4 moa . And no measurable throat advancement.

I'm going to give it another try in another barrel. As of now the results look good.

Broz

Reaction score
A friend of mine is a Service Rifle High master and swears by Tubbs Final Finish. It smooths out the edges of the fire cracking scales.
I refused to do it for years fearing that it would erode the lands. Last week I shot four Final finish bullets in a 26 Nosler that has 350+ rounds and pretty bad firecracking in the first 1 1/2". Afterwards this rifle shot a 5 shot group .4 moa . And no measurable throat advancement.

I'm going to give it another try in another barrel. As of now the results look good.
Might be ok for a varmint or target rifle, but after the experience I had last year I will never compromise for a rifle I am shooting at game animals. Be great to get some added life, but I need 100% confidence in my hunting rifles.

NBK

Reaction score
Would love to see the photos from the bore scope...

Forum Sponsors