Hunting Focused Training/Workout Programs???

NorCal_In_AZ

Reaction score
Since the first of the year (not a resolution, just happened to start at that time) I changed my eating habits and I’ve been loosing weight. In 4 weeks I’m down 13.6 pounds. This is all due to diet changes only, but now I’m looking at getting back into the gym.

I was wondering if anyone here follows a workout routine that’s geared towards hunting? I’ve never been much of a gym guy, more of a sports guy. So I don’t know a lot about using weights and such, so having something to guide me would be nice. I’m aware of Mountain Tough but I’m not sure I want to shell out the money for that program at this time.

If you have advice, ideas to share, or recommendations on who/where to follow to get some help please chime in.

SierraJoe

Reaction score
I have found bodyweight workouts translate very well to hunting. Bodyweight training also reduces the likelihood of severe injury which is a big plus. But consistency is critical to fitness improvement. Therefore, I recommend finding an exercise program that coincides with activities you like.

Joe

Morty

Reaction score
+1 for body weight and/or lightweight workouts with lots of reps. TRX is another easy solution. I do not work out with the exact mindset towards hunting (just overall health), but I keep up better than most on long hunts in steep terrain (young legs help for that also though).

Stair-steppers are really good if getting a hike or two in every week is not an option, or if you want an easy alternative. The weather here in North Idaho hasn't been too inviting for hiking in the past week or so.

-tanner

rfurman24

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Since the first of the year (not a resolution, just happened to start at that time) I changed my eating habits and I’ve been loosing weight. In 4 weeks I’m down 13.6 pounds. This is all due to diet changes only, but now I’m looking at getting back into the gym.

I was wondering if anyone here follows a workout routine that’s geared towards hunting? I’ve never been much of a gym guy, more of a sports guy. So I don’t know a lot about using weights and such, so having something to guide me would be nice. I’m aware of Mountain Tough but I’m not sure I want to shell out the money for that program at this time.

If you have advice, ideas to share, or recommendations on who/where to follow to get some help please chime in.
i have always done my own thing but with all the money I spend on gear I decided this year to spend some on ME. I purchased the MTN Tough program. It is an a$$ kicker. I am just into weak three of the post season. If you can hang in and do the workouts it WILL make you better. I know there are other ways but regardless of the program I have to have structure. I do not think I will regret this purchase.

Buxndiverdux

Reaction score
IMO, your age and physical condition is going to determine what you can do to start training. I’m 48 and have never been more than 20 lbs heavier than my 18 year old weight. My training is weights and machines 2-3 times a week and treadmill on 10-12 incline for 40 minutes when preparing for a hunt. I’ll add a pack to the treadmill routine as the hunt gets closer. Works for me. Much less impact on knees than running.

rfurman24

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
I spend on average 5 days a week in the gym doing weights and cardio. In my case it makes me fill good about my physical fitness but does not really prepare me for the mountains the way I desire. This is why I invested in the MTN Tough workout. So far I am very confident I will be better prepared because of it.

Buxndiverdux

Reaction score
I googled MTNTOUGH because I wasn't familiar with it. It is a very clever marketing model tailored to hunters. Mind over matter is the most important training tool IMO. Mental toughness and being physically fit are a fantastic combination in the mountains, or any hunt IMO.

The only real way to prepare for the mountains is to get out in them, and do it. I don't have that luxury, so the gym, treadmill and football stadium with a loaded pack is all I can get. :D

Last edited:

NorCal_In_AZ

Reaction score
I will vouch for MTN OPS products. I have used them for about 3 years now and I insist on having it all year round. We have introduced it to many, and the responses after are very positive.

This company would not be where it is if it was not legit.

Maybe consider one of their 90 day challenges to start.

This is not a sales pitch, I personally buy and use MTN OPS.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff. I'm going to look into those challenges a little deeper in the next week. Gotta see if there is a way around having to use Facebook.

jmden

Reaction score
I ran across this the other day:

Alaska Big-Game Hunting - Billy Molls Adventures - Fit For Alaska DVD

Video:

Have no idea about it, but figured might be worth throwing into the mix here for folks to consider.

Big fan of hiking with weight on a consistent basis. When I hunt, that's most of what I'm doing is hiking--some call hunting 'rifle hikiing'! :cool: In summer/fall this isn't an issue, but with the worlds record snowfall at a mountain 30 miles from my house that I look at every day it's not cloudy, the mountains aren't accessible year around in that fashion. Thankfully, there's 1600' elevation gain lowland trail not to far way that provides a decent work out for a 40-45 minute uphill climb.

Personally, I get in a decent workout 4+ times a week. I've been blessed to get paid to workout (part of work routine...I'm not some 'pro' athlete, just to be clear!) the vast majority of my adult life which is super nice. For cardio, I think knowing your max heart rate (either for real or the old 220 minus your age formual) and staying at 85% of that for most workouts (warming up and down properly) is helpful.

But once a week or so, and work up to this, consider going to max heart rate for 3 minutes or so. Make sure your heart and cardiovascular system is healthy before doing this! That combined with a once a week workout that plyometric type/circuit/interval type training that gets the heart rate up beyond 85% (sometime at or close to max) near the end of a 'set', then let heart rate drop back to 120 with rest, then back at it, this for a few sets, is helpful I think.

When I'm training using this pattern, my body seems to respond much more easily with less stress during and less recovery time after when a stuation calls for actual work that puts me at or near max heart rate for awhile. Makes sense as the body is used to that. It translates to the rest of life and hunting as well. Many things just seem easier and require less recovery time if I incorporate the max heart rate idea and plyometric/interval type training with various exercises.

My wife is a PT and exercise science major so she could probably say it better than I, but hopefully this makes some sense. Do some reasonable strength training as well, obviously. JMHO.

Last edited:

Stevo3556

Reaction score
Since the first of the year (not a resolution, just happened to start at that time) I changed my eating habits and IÂ’ve been loosing weight. In 4 weeks IÂ’m down 13.6 pounds. This is all due to diet changes only, but now IÂ’m looking at getting back into the gym.

I was wondering if anyone here follows a workout routine thatÂ’s geared towards hunting? IÂ’ve never been much of a gym guy, more of a sports guy. So I donÂ’t know a lot about using weights and such, so having something to guide me would be nice. IÂ’m aware of Mountain Tough but IÂ’m not sure I want to shell out the money for that program at this time.

NC in AZ,

I used to teach Defensive Tactics and Physical Training at a major PD years ago. So I have a little experience in training programs. Long ago, but basics are still there.

You said you said you wanted a workout program geared toward hunting. We found the the best way to train for an event, was the exact event. So for instance when cadets needed to complete the fitness test the actual event, push-ups sit ups, ect were the best exercise for them to complete this specific goal.

I think you are certainly on the right track to start with a better diet. Now that you are clearly on the road to better health and you have shown dedication to your goal, I would think about the activities that you will do on your hunt. Most of the hunters I know in TX drive up to their deer stands in the 4 wheeler and climb up in the stand to sit in their chair and drink coffee! So I would consider the task that you have at hand in your hunting situation and try to replicate it. Climbing up mountains, stair climber and cardio for the endurance in high density altitude. If you are packing out your game, then long walks with a heavy pack. Ect.

IF on the other hand you are just trying to get healthier over all then pretty much what was stated here. Less body fat, more cardio through a combination of weight lifting and your choice to get your heart rate up by elliptical, rowing, bike, or treadmill depending on the condition of your knees ect.

All this is dependent on your health now and how much time you have.

Cardio 5 days a week and lifting three days a week works well for me and my schedule.

If you are going to start lifting I would do a full body work out 3 days a week, every other day. Start out with proper form and more reps and less weight to get your body used to lifting and from being so sore that you want to stop. You can even use the weight training for cardio if you prefer, lots of reps with light weight keeping your heart rate in the desired range. The process of breaking down the muscle fibers and your body rebuilding the muscles burns even more energy than the work done during the exercise.

So many options! Great books on weight lifting and fitness. Sounds like you are on your way.

Hope this gives you some things to consider for your program.

Steve

jackalope

Reaction score

Take a pack to the gym and get on the stair climber. Squats, front squats, cleans and thrusters are great power lifts. Really help build cores and leg strength which is real important for hunting with a heavy pack. I like to mix in lighter weight with a lot of reps and a couple of days per week with heavy weight. Legs have done well with this but each person is different.
Depends on what your goals are as far as nutrition. You need to be eating a good amount of protein if you're lifting or exercising hard. I like the cliff protein bars for quick and easy protein intake. Watch the bars with sugar alcohols and eating too many of those..... They mess your stomach up.

Forum Sponsors