How to Increase Your Rifle Throat Length With a Chamber Uni Throating Reamer

ShtrRdy

Reaction score
Dang, that's neat! Thanks for walking us through doing this.

In the example you presented, would you need to use an extended magazine box also?

2five7

Reaction score
Very, very useful video. Lots of good shooting factory rifles out there with short throats. Have you been able to work up a new, faster load yet?

rfurman24

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Reaction score
Dang, that's neat! Thanks for walking us through doing this.

In the example you presented, would you need to use an extended magazine box also?
In the rifle we did this on, no.

RBanta66

Reaction score
Did this process change your accuracy at all? Have you been able to test the 190 bullets yet? If so what were the results. But the way love your shooting bags!

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
Did this process change your accuracy at all? Have you been able to test the 190 bullets yet? If so what were the results. But the way love your shooting bags!
I have done over a half a dozen and they all shot great. Even both our match rifle I increased the throats in. No negative results from mine.

Last edited:

rfurman24

Reaction score

Working through development currently.

lbirch

Reaction score
Very informative video. I liked it. Makes me want to increase the throat of my 7mm Ridgeline.

hindmarsh

Reaction score
Here is where we can discuss and ask questions about the how to video on Increasing Your Rifle Throat Length With a Chamber Uni Throating Reamer by Ryan Furman.

To watch this how to video GO HERE View attachment 4739
Nice content, but the audio is quite low.
I almost bought one of these a while back but didn’t because I wasn’t sure I wouldn’t mess up my barrel but now I am comfortable with the process so I will probably get one. Thanks!

rfurman24

Reaction score
Nice content, but the audio is quite low.
I almost bought one of these a while back but didn’t because I wasn’t sure I wouldn’t mess up my barrel but now I am comfortable with the process so I will probably get one. Thanks!
Thanks for the feedback. You are the second to comment on the low audio. I have played it back on two different machines and it is normal on both of mine. I will look into it for future videos.

jimbires

Reaction score
I gave up watching , I couldn't hear it . I'm going to try again wearing my power muffs .

I'm sure it was mentioned in the video . use caution and go slow , the unithroater cuts with ease . I couldn't believe how fast and easy it cuts . I rented a reamer from 4D reamers . if you rent one be sure to rent the T handle too , it was not included with my reamer rental . I had to improvise .

rfurman24

Reaction score
Jeff, can you report on audio? I just listened on two more machines. If I turn it to max volume it is far too loud. My sound meters are exactly where I want them.

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
Jeff, can you report on audio? I just listened on two more machines. If I turn it to max volume it is far too loud. My sound meters are exactly where I want them.
It's a youtube thing with some laptops I think. I did have a little issue at first, but went in to my lap top audio settings and was able to boost it in the "HD Audio Manager" and check a box called "Loudness Equalization" I have seen this before with some reviews by other editors. But not always. I blamed it on my old laptop (Windows 7) and changes Youtube has made.

lbirch

Reaction score
The audio was good on my iPhone and laptop. No issues here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rfurman24

Reaction score
I set my sound to be "normal" in the center of my editing computers sound range.

I appreciate the help and the feedback! Let's get this thread back on topic.

mindcrime

Reaction score
Shooting the earlier 2950 fps loads yielded a 60 fps loss; have you been able to test some "hotter loads" yet??? Thanks.

rfurman24

Reaction score
We are in the middle of load development with the new chamber.

mindcrime

Reaction score
We are in the middle of load development with the new chamber.
Please keep us informed as I have a 7mm Rem Mag (1-8" Twist) that needs some throat lengthening as well.......I have the 180 Bergers to start, but will be trying heavier pills when possible. I'll be using RL-22 however. (y)

rfurman24

Reaction score
Please keep us informed as I have a 7mm Rem Mag (1-8" Twist) that needs some throat lengthening as well.......I have the 180 Bergers to start, but will be trying heavier pills when possible. I'll be using RL-22 however. (y)

Did you look at the thread I linked to above? It has some initial data.

PAXMAN

Reaction score
I have done this before. Took the barrel off and took an ok loaded round and dropped it in the chamber holding the barrel upside down. Took measurement. Then dropped dummy round that I had made with proper seated bullet in chamber. Measure. Then I just cut a little and dropped the dummy round back down and could see how much more I needed. Go slow. Those suckers are sharp. I assume they come with 1.5 degree lead angle?

Merlin

Reaction score
I keep tap magic on hand also. Do you think this would clean up fire cracking on a sammi spec throat? If it is not that bad.

rfurman24

Reaction score
I keep tap magic on hand also. Do you think this would clean up fire cracking on a sammi spec throat? If it is not that bad.
It would clean it up but you will still have fire cracking further down the barrel. I have no experience with cleaning up a throat towards the end of a barrels life but have seen repeatedly that it often only yields another couple hundred rounds. By the time you do load development on the new throat I am not sure it is worth it.

jimbires

Reaction score
nice video . this really sums it up . before I did mine I searched the forums for info , there's not much out there on doing this . you pretty much did it about the same as I did mine . you were a little braver than me , I sure didn't cut .025 at a time . after I did mine I thought if I were to do this again I'd buy the Hornady tool , it would have saved me a bunch of time . I kept seating bullets out longer to watch my progress , the tool would have made it so much easier .

GDP

Reaction score
The extension you didn’t use is center drilled for use with tail stock on a lathe and has flats for a wrench to hold or turn instead of the t-handle

Singleshot

Reaction score
Have you or others used this reamer on a Ridgeline in 300 Win Mag to optimize seating depth for 215 Bergers ?
If so, what improvement did you see over the factory SAAMI chamber and is their standard 1:10" twist adequate for the 215s in higher humidity near sea level?

rfurman24

Reaction score
Have you or others used this reamer on a Ridgeline in 300 Win Mag to optimize seating depth for 215 Bergers ?
If so, what improvement did you see over the factory SAAMI chamber and is their standard 1:10" twist adequate for the 215s in higher humidity near sea level?
I have not. I am not sure you will see a lot from throating a SAAMI 300WM. It's problem is not really from the throat length as far as where the ogive is going to contact the lands. It's problem is more related to the fact that it essentially has no freebore but it is a very sloppy chamber. With the slop and the lead angle it ends up allowing a 215 Berger to be seated out quite a bit. That is not something you can fix with a throater. I am not going to say you would see zero benefit but I am not sure I would mess with it. Having said that if I were building a 300 WM I would use a custom reamer for sure. The 10 twist I feel is optimal.

lbirch

Reaction score
I think the 215 gr Berger Hybrid in the Ridgeline sits really good. I can load them in my Ridgeline to the lands if I wanted to and still be seated in the neck about perfectly. See this post. I suppose you could get a few thou more out of the throat. https://www.longrangeonly.com/forum/threads/300-win-mag-215-gr-berger-n570.6809/post-55278

I would consider extending the throat if I wanted to run something like the 245 gr Berger EOL.

JasonCO

Reaction score
Good stuff here! I'v got a a short throated 6.5X284 Norma and a 28 Nosler that I'l be doing now, thanks!

Forum Sponsors