How To Get Into PRS Style Shooting Video Series. by JM Gardner

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
This is the thread where we can discuss the video series by JM Garner. Feel free to discuss the video's, ask Questions or leave constructive comments.

Go HERE to watch the first episode

Go HERE to watch Episode #2 , Rifle and Caliber selection

Go HERE to watch episode #3 Team Black Flag

Go HERE to watch Episode #4 Mental Toughness

Last edited:

Bull81

Reaction score
Excellent video, I think he hit on some very good points. My one gripe/question is where are the $15-$20 matches? I’m jealous! Local club matches here in Mississippi run $90 for a one day match. There is actually one scheduled for the 12th that’s likely to be canceled due to a lack of people signing up. I think the price has a lot to do with that to be honest, because the facility is a great place to shoot with good well thought out stages and good people running the match.

jmgardner

Reaction score
Thanks for the feed back, Bull! and yeah we are fortunate here. I started when i lived in utah and now here in colorado. there are alot of one day shoots local to both. i can think of 5 within a 2.5hr drive that range from $15-$50 entry and we actually have shooters advocating that we should pay more and make the shoots even better with the revenue. i know that is not the case everywhere but the club level shoot scene in general Rocky Mountain Region is pretty prominent and active.

Bull81

Reaction score
Well I’ve been trying to con my wife into moving to Colorado for years, as you can see I haven’t had much luck. Look forward to more of you videos, I shoot both PRS and Fclass matches and do my best to try and bring more people into the shooting sports

Greyfox

Reaction score
Nice job on the video Jose. Having also recently gotten into PRS, it’s proving to be quite an addiction. Our club just added 22 Rimfire PRS, a scaled down version with ranges to 350 yards. Lots of interest and it seems like it will also grow in popularity. If available to the shooter, it’s a cost effective entry to PRS.
l’m looking forward to your series!

jmgardner

Reaction score
thanks GreyFox. we actually have a local NRL22 match as well that I would like to get into at some point. I definitely agree it can be a price effective option for new, and especially youth, shooters.

Daniel

Vice President
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice job on the video Jose. Having also recently gotten into PRS, it’s proving to be quite an addiction. Our club just added 22 Rimfire PRS, a scaled down version with ranges to 350 yards. Lots of interest and it seems like it will also grow in popularity. If available to the shooter, it’s a cost effective entry to PRS.
l’m looking forward to your series!

alright you and I are in the same town so define "our Club" I need to get involved

Greyfox

Reaction score
alright you and I are in the same town so define "our Club" I need to get involved
Are you sure you mean me? I’m in the Northeast, not Montana ..... But I sure wish I was in Montana!

Daniel

Vice President
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you sure you mean me? I’m in the Northeast, not Montana ..... But I sure wish I was in Montana!

guess I had you confused with someone else, dang I was excited!

Greyfox

Reaction score
Jose, enjoyed the 2nd Episide! I started out with the 6.5 Creedmoor, recently moving to the 6.5x47Lapua/MPA/Surgeon/Kreiger Med Palma. For me, it’s proven to be a good compromise to moving down to the 6mm. I’m running 130 Bergers Hybrids at 2880FPS. Accuracy/ballistics is very good, with no fuss. I’m hoping for 2000+ rounds of barrel life. Zero throat erosion currently at 1200 rounds. Slightly more recoil compared to the 6mm but enough bullet splash to spot my hits at the longer ranges A struggle for me when trying the 6XC. I will say that lots of shooters at our marches are moving to the 6mm’s.

jmgardner

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback greyfox! I do know someone that shoots the 6.5x47 with 130's at 3000fps. talk about a wind bucker with minimal recoil. I think you shoot a pretty good combo myself. If I had your set up, i'd put in the MPA weight tuning system and not look back. your recoil wouldn't be any more noticeable than a 6mm and you would get the good things you mentioned like bullet splash, more force for things like spinners, better wind fighting. for someone who reloads, the x47's are a GREAT option. 6mm's are nice. but 6.5's will always hold their own.

MILEPOST

Reaction score
I really enjoyed your second installment video. The 6.5 would be my choice too, although those 6mm 115 grain DTACS with a .620 BC would be real tempting in a 6 Creed!

jmgardner

Reaction score
The 110smks are .617 and could arguably get more speed. But the dtacs tune easier for sure. Components get better each day and give us almost limitless ways to reach our shooting goals.

tmac5424

Reaction score
Jose, you mentioned previously loading for a .280 Ackley in the video. I just built one using the old wildcat dimensions (not the new SAAMI spec). Would you be willing to share your best accuracy loads for this caliber? Thanks.

jmgardner

Reaction score
Hey there Tmac. I can tell you what I loaded but bear in mind I was EXTREMELY new to reloading when I had the 280ai. And I ran it stupid slow for caliber. That being said, the load I landed on was Nosler brass, cci200 primer, 53.6g of h4831sc, and 175 eldms. Speed was only something like 2775fps. That’s no where near full potential for the caliber, but I did get a 2nd round kill on a prairie dog at 800 yds and that was with a kimber mountain ascent rifle. So that was pretty cool. But do not trust me as the expert on 280ai.

tmac5424

Reaction score
Thanks for the 281 ai info

Hey there Tmac. I can tell you what I loaded but bear in mind I was EXTREMELY new to reloading when I had the 280ai. And I ran it stupid slow for caliber. That being said, the load I landed on was Nosler brass, cci200 primer, 53.6g of h4831sc, and 175 eldms. Speed was only something like 2775fps. That’s no where near full potential for the caliber, but I did get a 2nd round kill on a prairie dog at 800 yds and that was with a kimber mountain ascent rifle. So that was pretty cool. But do not trust me as the expert on 280ai.

Thanks for the information - my current load workup has me using H4831sc as well with the Hornady 162gr ELD-X bullets. 58.6 grains gets me around 2935 fps. Might try some H1000 later. Good to know that I am in the ballpark with the component choices. Love your work...thanks.

Greyfox

Reaction score

Jeremy

Reaction score
Enjoyed the vid! Very representative of the pathways and experiences that myself and my PRS shooting buddies experienced! My go-to bag has been the Game Changer.........I’m now intrigued, and compelled to give the Tactical Utter a try......LOL. The obsession with PRS persists!
Id check out the Saracen and Comanche from Warhorse Development. Veteran owned originator of the Tactical udder. I have the first one sold and it is a bit heavy for hunting but I still pack it around

jmgardner

Reaction score
By all means, support warhorse. But being the original mass producer, and the “originator” are not the same thing.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Reaction score
By all means, support warhorse. But being the original madd producer, and the “originator” are not the same thing.
I was RO'ing the stage when Chas Bales and Brandon St. Clair came up with the design. If you would like to discuss you can. A certain shop owner in Colorado says that he originated it, and while he had feedback on original designs, I was there when it was originated. I even remember the stage. It was a barricade stage and Brandon and Chas were talking about a bag with three to four legs shaped like a molar. Feel free to PM me for more details.

ShtrRdy

Reaction score
I'm not able to compete in PRS type of matches but from my competitive pistol experiences, I would say that there is lots of good suggestions in episode 4.

I agree strongly with dry fire practice being very important and that the actions during dry fire are done "right". I also agree with the phrase "slow is smooth ........ smooth is fast".

People use to say I was "the fastest slow guy" because while I looked like I was going slow I would end up toward the top of the results. Part of that was being consistent through the match.

Something else I liked to tell struggling shooters - is to take one target at a time. Don't think about any target you just got done firing on and don't think about any target yet to be engaged.

Greyfox

Reaction score
Jose, Enjoyed the episode!

One thing Ive observed and experienced. Dry-firing practice is heavily condoned and proven to be a be very useful excercise as a form of practice. It’s not difficult for a shooter to rack up 100’s if not 1000’s of dry firing cycles over a short time period which might normally be many years. On some designs this may be harmless to the action. With the Remington 700 and several of the clones, probably the most popular action, it’s very rare to experience a broken firing pin or spring causing many to believe there are no issues caused by dry firing. The weak spot, that may rear it’s ugly head at the worst possible time (during a match) is not the firing pin or spring, but the rather small retaining pin that connects the firing pin head to the firing pin. Dry firing seems to create a good deal of stress on this part. While the failure mode may cause a complete failure to fire, it can many times break within the firing pin head, appearing functional, but can initially cause occasional light hits due to friction of the broken pieces rubbing against the inside of cocking piece. With extensive dry firing, probably the best solution would be to use snap caps, or, at the very least keep a few spares of this part on hand and an eye on it’s condition. I replace the pin annually during a thorough service of my action.
Shown: circled parts and photo of broken and new pin.

Attachments

• A454FAFB-987E-4610-AD4A-687089F8C388.jpg
    A454FAFB-987E-4610-AD4A-687089F8C388.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 3A2FE45E-6F31-4887-847A-031DF2DC3CB7.jpg
    3A2FE45E-6F31-4887-847A-031DF2DC3CB7.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 1

Forum Sponsors