How much is to much

Lapuafan

Reaction score
Would love a lil feedback in this topic. Over the weekend was shooting with some new guys and friends. They came out to shoot lr and i pulled out my smokeless 45. Banging steel at 500 n 600 yards. And topic came up from a elderly gent that said something that stuck in my head. ( he ask me how much is to much magnification in my opinion ). I said good question. I said from my exp alot comes in play here in tn it gets hot in summer we get alot of mirage. But i said i like the 20 to 25 power. I said i have some in the 30s but seems to be lil much for what i do. So what are you guys thoughts. Broz would love you're opinion on this. So lets hear it . have nice Day.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
This reminds me of back when I removed a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 and replaced it with a NXS 8-32. When I could use 32 X I shot my best 1000 yard groups. But the days I could use it were limited due to mirage. So I found I was usually cranking back to 22 to 25 X. In my opinion the ATACR 5-25 X is perfect for most needs. I really with they would have built only 2 NX8's. Both 5-25. One FFP and one SFP.

Rjk300

Reaction score
For me it’s what I’m hunting/shooting and where I’m hunting/shooting. If I’m shooting long range 750yds+ 20-25 is good for me but in flat Ohio across a field mirage is visible at 40*f on a sunny day and magnification is a bear but in MT on a 90*f sunny day across a valley mirage can be very minimal so max magnification works (unless you have a haze from wild fires).If I’m hunting in my usual spots in OH or PA a 50-75yd shot is expected so 3-9x40 is what I use and 3x is not an issue at 20yds while 9x is not an issue at 500yds. With today’s optics 5-25 or 4-32 we can have the best of both worlds so I don’t think you will have to much or to little!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OSOK - Crash

Reaction score
I was asking myself this same question when I was in the market for my first high end optic. I too have flat shooting areas just like @Rjk300 has in OH (I'm just west of him in central Indiana). For me, I decided that I would rather have more than I needed, than wanting more down the road. So I decided on the 4-32 NX8.

As I am gaining experience, and shooting more in different conditions, I am learning that max magnification is not always needed. It's definitely nice to have, but depending on the distance I am shooting, I find myself shooting more in the 20x range. It helps me spot my shots easier. None the less, I am still happy that I can go up to 32x.

Goosedog02

Reaction score
I don't have near the experience that the others have, but I find my 5-25 ATACR is perfect for what I do. I really looked hard into the 7-35 ATACR, but decided to go the other route. I usually stay around 20 power for most of my hunting spots.

HARPERC

Reaction score
I have a 4-16x ATACR and can't see me needing more in a big game scope. I have a 5-25x ATACR and can't see me needing more in a varmint, steel, or rock shooting scope.

In my dreams I see a 1 mile rock chuck through a 7-35x. That will likely stay a dream.

DL42

Reaction score
I have a 4-16x ATACR and can't see me needing more in a big game scope. I have a 5-25x ATACR and can't see me needing more in a varmint, steel, or rock shooting scope.

In my dreams I see a 1 mile rock chuck through a 7-35x. That will likely stay a dream.
Just my 2 cents. I have the 7-35 MK5 on backorder to replace my Athlon Ares ETR. My goal is to shoot 2000 yards. I successfully shot 1630 the other day, and I was only using 14-16x. Now Im thinking of canceling my order. That ATACR is obviously superior to the Leupold and the Athlon, so that 5-25 you have would likely be way more than enough.

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.

A chuck at a mile with a 5~24 ATACR is very doable. Plenty of scope for the job.

HARPERC

Reaction score
A chuck at a mile with a 5~24 ATACR is very doable. Plenty of scope for the job.
I'm nowhere close to using up the the potential in a 5-25x ATACR! Hopefully after surgery next month I can keep both ends of a rifle off the ground at the same time again, and work on it. Nothing but day dreams here for a bit.

Forum Sponsors