How many grooves?

Casper

Reaction score
Gonna order a new barrel for a 300prc. Going with a 1 in 8 twist. How many grooves do u guys recommend?

Tim nz

Reaction score
Hey Erik Cortina interviews John Krieger and he talks about the no. of groves, as did frank green from bartlien. when he was interviewed. John pretty much said he hasnt seen much difference between 4 and 5 grove rifling. But said 5r may be slightly gentler on the jacket to summarize what he said. Ive got a few 5 grove. Probably all going to out shoot the shooter any way regardless of no. .

Tim nz

Reaction score
Theres the other one. worth listen. I have a long drive to work so, i try to make use of the time.

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
I shoot a lot of Cup core jacketed bullets. I have seen the results of 3 and 4 groove barrels over and over with fast twist rates and higher velocity. There for I only use 5R, 5C and 6 groove barrels.

Casper

Reaction score
I shoot a lot of Cup core jacketed bullets. I have seen the results of 3 and 4 groove barrels over and over with fast twist rates and higher velocity. There for I only use 5R, 5C and 6 groove barrels.

Thx for the info. If you shot mono metal bullets would the come apart problem on 4 groove barrels not be issue? Just a curiosity thought

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Broz

Reaction score
Thx for the info. If you shot mono metal bullets would the come apart problem on 4 groove barrels not be issue? Just a curiosity thought

No, that is how we fixed some of the problem rifles with 3 and 4 groove. We went to mono's. This is more profound on the thinner jacketed bullets.

FEENIX

Reaction score

In addition to what Jeff noted, sometimes it also depends on bullet construction/design. Monos are not as forgiving as the cup and core bullets. Most mono bullet makers use solid materials, except for Dynamic Research Technology; they use compressed metal powder core that supposedly performs like cup and core type bullets.

Dirtrax

Reaction score

What advantages or disadvantages have you seen with 6 groove barrels? I ask because I was perusing ACE barrels and they seem to lean towards 6 grooves.

Broz

Reaction score
What advantages or disadvantages have you seen with 6 groove barrels? I ask because I was perusing ACE barrels and they seem to lean towards 6 grooves.
So does a lot of CarbonSix and Hart Barrels and we all know they shoot very well.

The more the groove count, the narrower the land and in some cases the lands are also shorter on higher groove count barrel. 3 and 4 groove barrels leave a wider inscription in the bullet jacket than 5 or 6 groove barrels. And in some cases deeper too. It has been my experience that wider and possibly deeper inscription into copper jacketed lead core bullets can cause bullet to come apart in flight and or result in a more explosive fragmentation with much lower or no penetration. Of course this is much worse with tighter twists, higher velocities and higher barrel acceleration rates. And also with the thinner jacketed bullets. But there are many popular jacketed bullets with thin jackets available today. So I choose to not risk it.

Dirtrax

Reaction score
I was intrigued by the choice in land height too. I see several barrel makers offer this. If I recall correctly Alex Wheeler mentioned somewhere that he sometimes specs a shorter land and gets some speed without sacrificing accuracy. Do you have any thoughts on this Jeff?

Rjk300

Reaction score
So would a shorter land hight cause shorter barrel life, or a possible loss of accuracy sooner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broz

Reaction score
So would a shorter land hight cause shorter barrel life, or a possible loss of accuracy sooner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think so. The creation of 3 and 4 groove barrels in the beginning was the thought the wider grooves would increase barrel life in smaller fast varmint calibers. Most do not change height, only a few do with 3 and 4 groove. But the test results I have found on this was pretty inconclusive as far as barrel life gains.

I was intrigued by the choice in land height too. I see several barrel makers offer this. If I recall correctly Alex Wheeler mentioned somewhere that he sometimes specs a shorter land and gets some speed without sacrificing accuracy. Do you have any thoughts on this Jeff?
I personally have not testing anything in that arena. I would take Alex's advice on that. But as long as it stabilizes the bullet well without jacket damage, that is what I would seek.

Forum Sponsors