Gunwerks Revic BR4 Rangefinder

Aaron Davidson

Reaction score
In the Revic app in Edit Profile in the Profile Manager in the scroll down menu for Ammo there is an input for Powder Factor in fps/F and Powder Temperature. Are these input vital? What are they for?
If you have a temp sensitive powder, you can put the temp that you measured MV, and the sensitivity factor. Eg 1 fps faster for every 1 deg F....

Aaron Davidson

Reaction score
Can anyone elaborate with how this RF integrates with the Revic scope? I have 2 scopes currently and am willing to upgrade from my terrapin, which will connect to the app and from the app can push a range into the scope. However thats a lot of extra button pushing when you can just dial to the distance ranged. I was hoping this RF would automatically push the range straight to the scope to speed things up a bit. Anyone have both the revic scope and RF?
Currently the interface would be through the app as a bridge device. Gen 2 scopes will communicate directly to the RF.

jeredharlandvm

Reaction score
Currently the interface would be through the app as a bridge device. Gen 2 scopes will communicate directly to the RF.
Thanks Aaron, Always top notch communication with yall. Looking forward to Gen 2 scopes, put me on the list for one!

GoingHunting

Reaction score
@Broz

Any experience comparing the Leica 3500.com to this new BR4?

I have a 2800.com and was going to upgrade to the 3500 to get the better laser but now am leaning towards the BR4.

All the features seem like a no brainer to go with the BR4, so mainly losing the connection to Kestrel and how the overall laser compares. Thanks in advance.

Appreciate all your info here.

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
@Broz

I have a 2800.com and was going to upgrade to the 3500 to get the better laser but now am leaning towards the BR4.

All the features seem like a no brainer to go with the BR4, so mainly losing the connection to Kestrel and how the overall laser compares. Thanks in advance.

Leica had a big problem with their BT connection. I have not owned a 2800 or a 3500.com, but it is my understanding the BR4 has a far better ballistic solver. Again, this is hear say, so maybe others can weigh in.

FURMAN

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Can anyone elaborate with how this RF integrates with the Revic scope? I have 2 scopes currently and am willing to upgrade from my terrapin, which will connect to the app and from the app can push a range into the scope. However thats a lot of extra button pushing when you can just dial to the distance ranged. I was hoping this RF would automatically push the range straight to the scope to speed things up a bit. Anyone have both the revic scope and RF?

Elaborate on your question. The scope still requires you to dial it just has a heads up display that tells you what the ballistics are in it. Based on how I am interpreting your question you were asking if it’ll dial itself.

I’m not really sure how you make it any easier than dialing in till the heads up display says the range that you’re trying to shoot to.

GoingHunting

Reaction score
Leica had a big problem with their BT connection. I have not owned a 2800 or a 3500.com, but it is my understanding the BR4 has a far better ballistic solver. Again, this is hear say, so maybe others can weigh in.
Yeah I'd say your spot on considering my experience with the 2800 having problems connecting to the kestrel. It's one of my main reasons for wanting the BR4.

ormandj

Reaction score
@Broz

I had a 2800. Leica glass is better, BR4 is just as fast but also computes ballistics at the same time. I loved not having to link to the kestrel, one less thing to go wrong. 10x was great, as well. I preferred the plastic case of the Leica, but the BR4 was a bit easier to hold steady. If I were choosing between buying a 3500 or a BR4 and wanted ballistics on the RF, I would go with the BR4 every time.

Follower

Reaction score
Well the only thing I can see the br4 is short on is wind speed, that said although you change its vector which is exactly what a kestler does I believe ,,, as the br4 has a on board compass I am sold.
I been get cold bore hits at 700 and 800yrds now it time to find a new mountain where the cannon walls is not straight up lol.

ormandj

Reaction score
Well the only thing I can see the br4 is short on is wind speed, that said although you change its vector which is exactly what a kestler does I believe ,,, as the br4 has a on board compass I am sold.
I been get cold bore hits at 700 and 800yrds now it time to find a new mountain where the cannon walls is not straight up lol.
You can set the speed along with the vector. That’s exactly how I used it. I can gauge wind from mirage and environment, so just manually entered it, which the BR4 makes super easy.

Follower

Reaction score
Well the only thing I can see the br4 is short on is wind speed (propeller is not there to get speed is what is meant) that said although you change its vector ( and goes up in 1mph values to 40mph )which is exactly what a kestler does I believe ,,, as the br4 has a on board compass I am sold.

Follower

Reaction score
You can set the speed along with the vector. That’s exactly how I used it. I can gauge wind from mirage and environment, so just manually entered it, which the BR4 makes super easy.
Exactly how I use it also it's the best range finder I have used by anyone.

Taylor692

Reaction score
I finally bought a BR4!
I started playing with it last night.
Can someone explain / elaborate on the laser settings.
LR Near , Far Near ETC. I'm confused what they are all used for, and which one would be the best.
Also AMR or LOS? Or leave them both on???

Broz

Reaction score
I finally bought a BR4!
LR Near , Far Near ETC. I'm confused what they are all used for, and which one would be the best.
Furman and I played with these settings while hunting in WY. I am not sure we know exactly which is best for a general setting yet, or what each really brings to the table. But I settled on Far for now. Know some settings do gather more data samples and require a more solid rest ( LR Near and LR Far) I believe. I insist on a rest unless it is just not possible. I like my bag placed on top the scope while prone for stability of the RF unit. One trick I learned was to use the lens cover to pull down on to my bag and it really firmed the RF up.

ARM would give a shoot to range including the shot angle while line of sight is the exact range to the target. I use AMR for bow hunting and LOS for rifle and let the RF do the calcs.

Taylor692

Reaction score
Furman and I played with these settings while hunting in WY. I am not sure we know exactly which is best for a general setting yet, or what each really brings to the table. But I settled on Far for now. Know some settings do gather more data samples and require a more solid rest ( LR Near and LR Far) I believe. I insist on a rest unless it is just not possible. I like my bag placed on top the scope while prone for stability of the RF unit. One trick I learned was to use the lens cover to pull down on to my bag and it really firmed the RF up.

ARM would give a shoot to range including the shot angle while line of sight is the exact range to the target. I use AMR for bow hunting and LOS for rifle and let the RF do the calcs.
Thanks Broz, Seems like Aaron at gunwerks seems to favor to the NEAR setting the most. I guess I just need to play with it a bit and see what works best for me. The laser is super super quick, I ranged a hill from my house last night in grey light condition at 2200 yards in a blink of an eye. I'm truly amazed of how quick it is!

Broz

Reaction score
Thanks Broz, Seems like Aaron at gunwerks seems to favor to the NEAR setting the most. I guess I just need to play with it a bit and see what works best for me. The laser is super super quick, I ranged a hill from my house last night in grey light condition at 2200 yards in a blink of an eye. I'm truly amazed of how quick it is!
The speed is the thing that is truly amazing and it seems to have the ability to actually grab the intended target. I started on Near setting, then moved on to far and seemed to be able to reach targets better in cluttered areas. But for sure we need to test more. I believe the most neglected part of long range is we do not practice enough with our range finders. That thing is the life blood of a long range shot, and we need to be well versed and fluid with it in any situation.

ormandj

Reaction score
I finally bought a BR4!
I spent a good bit of time with these. Near will tend to favor the nearest target that's been picked up during the ranging period, far the farthest. So, for example, if you're trying to range something really far away, but there's a ton of brush/cover in front of you, set it to far then try to range the distant target. Even though the RF will likely get some reflection back from the brush, it'll also get some from the furthest target, and in far mode it appears to report on that.

I used far when ranging something I knew the RF would pick up 'closer' things I didn't want to get readings on, and near when it was the opposite (ranging something overlooking a valley, for example, you want the nearest object, not the other side of the valley). Near (the default if I remember correctly) is the default and probably the best general purpose setting, unless you're ranging through brush/other occlusions that might be picked up. Fog might fall under this category, too.

Broz

Reaction score
and then we have "Long Range Near" and "Long Range Far" settings. These may be where the sample data is increased and stability of the unit becomes more important. However, again, I want a stable unit for any and all my ranging.

Greyfox

Reaction score
I have been using a Gunwerks BR2 since it’s introduction several years ago and have had great success with it. Looking forward to the new model! With practice you can quickly understand when to use the Near/far filters which can be changed instantly with the on-board buttons. I will set the filter based on the terrain and expected position of the animal/target prior to ranging. Use of the “near” filter is for potential interferences which may be picked up by the Lazer beam in “back” of your target. Rolling hills, brush, other game etc. “Far” is used when the same type of interferes occur in “front” of the target. It is works superbly, and is quite useful for long range work where the lazer beam my exceed the size of the target/animal and produce an incorrect reading. The standard setting can be used for targets with little/no interfences and generates the the greatest amount of lazer energy.
Use LOS(line of sight) for rifle/ballistics use.

Follower

Reaction score
Rain storms and snow storms a good place to use far because near you get short ranges.
On long range far it take it a bit longer to gather info. I been getting 1100 pretty consistent off hand on near.

Broz

Reaction score
I have owned RF's with the usual Near / Far settings. But it should be pointed out the new BR4 has 4 settings. Those being NEAR, FAR, Long Range NEAR, and Long Range FAR.

muleystalker

Reaction score
Gunwerks has a great video out explaining the differences in the different modes and when to use them.

muleystalker

Reaction score
I have to sit down with mine later today and figure out how to download the profiles from my phone to the rangefinder, it shouldn't be too hard.

Ladd

Reaction score
Just got back from using the BR4 all week on a hunt. A few things I don’t like. It’s hard to open the lens cover with gloves. It’s hard to work the buttons with gloves. I found the vertical position a little awkward after using the BR2 for 10 years. I don’t like the buckle clip thing on the case. I wore it on my belt and had a hard time closing and snapping the case with gloves on. I would like a magnetic hold or Velcro or something else. I’ll need to think it over next week on hunt#2. I used the BR4 on the NEAR setting and hit a nice buck at 722 yards low in the shoulder. Never found it. Makes me sick. I know it’s my fault but I wonder if that was the right setting for sagebrush.

OSOK - Crash

Reaction score
Just got back from using the BR4 all week on a hunt. A few things I don’t like. It’s hard to open the lens cover with gloves. It’s hard to work the buttons with gloves. I found the vertical position a little awkward after using the BR2 for 10 years. I don’t like the buckle clip thing on the case. I wore it on my belt and had a hard time closing and snapping the case with gloves on. I would like a magnetic hold or Velcro or something else. I’ll need to think it over next week on hunt#2. I used the BR4 on the NEAR setting and hit a nice buck at 722 yards low in the shoulder. Never found it. Makes me sick. I know it’s my fault but I wonder if that was the right setting for sagebrush.
That stinks Ladd! Sorry to hear about your hunt. It's happened to all of us (or will if you hunt long enough).

Ladd

Reaction score
That stinks Ladd! Sorry to hear about your hunt. It's happened to all of us (or will if you hunt long enough).
Thanks man. Yes, it happens. I’m 100% positive the buck lives, I can’t get into the why in this thread, but I wish he were in my refrigerator now. I did bring one home though.

Broz

Reaction score
Sorry Ladd. We have all had that feeling. This is why I say we should all practice as much with our RF's as we do with our rifles. Not meaning that is disrespect in any way, but I feel as these units get more technical there is more room for errors with settings. It would be great to test the near and far setting while ranging the top 1/2 of a goat in sage. Or place a hard to range target in sage at a known distance and test. I do this and range back to the truck when I place the target.

I tend to agree with the case latch. But it does loosen up with use some. Screwing the eye piece down helps, but then we need to screw it back out when we use it next time. I may look at replacing the latch with a piece of elastic cord. Or finding the perfect case for my needs.

I am undecided on the lens cover. Looks like an easy fix to remove it if we want.

Ladd

Reaction score
Sorry Ladd. We have all had that feeling. This is why I say we should all practice as much with our RF's as we do with our rifles. Not meaning that is disrespect in any way, but I feel as these units get more technical there is more room for errors with settings. It would be great to test the near and far setting while ranging the top 1/2 of a goat in sage. Or place a hard to range target in sage at a known distance and test. I do this and range back to the truck when I place the target.

I tend to agree with the case latch. But it does loosen up with use some. Screwing the eye piece down helps, but then we need to screw it back out when we use it next time. I may look at replacing the latch with a piece of elastic cord. Or finding the perfect case for my needs.

I am undecided on the lens cover. Looks like an easy fix to remove it if we want.
You’re right of course. I had an arca rail on the bottom of it to use on my tripod but found it difficult to get the whole thing in and out of the case. I ended up taking the plate off. I should have used it with my tripod ranging that buck at that distance, that would have made the difference. I do need more time behind the BR4 and should have prepped better. I’ll find a better way to use it, maybe with a different case.

I found the same thing with the eyepiece. One time the lens screwed right off when I tried to open it to look through without my glasses. That was an easy fix by screwing it in tighter then it screwed out right and not just the lens.

The windage inputs on the BR4 are awesome. The wind was 6 mph non stop all week gusting up to 14 a lot. Glad I had the BR4 with me even though I need more time with it.

Broz

Reaction score
As we venture into more accurate and Techy devices, it will take more practice to get the fluidity. I vow to use and practice more with my RF's.

Just loaded a new rifle profile in the BR4. So quick and easy it was scary. Went outside and verified it comparing it to trusted ballistic app. Spot on to the tenth.

Jeff

Ladd

Reaction score
As we venture into more accurate and Techy devices, it will take more practice to get the fluidity. I vow to use and practice more with my RF's.

Just loaded a new rifle profile in the BR4. So quick and easy it was scary. Went outside and verified it comparing it to trusted ballistic app. Spot on to the tenth.

Jeff
I could’ve used a spotter instead of doing everything myself.

Ladd

Reaction score

Jeff
Uploading profiles is very nice. I only have two in mine so far but will add a third depending on what I take for my son’s hunt, if I stray away from the 7 max.

Wideback

Reaction score
I tested mine out this morning for the first time and i may return it. It was 30 degrees and it was unbearable to touch without gloves on and was noticeably cold in my hands with gloves on. Why would they not cover the metal with something? Seems like a great rangefinder for hunting or shooting on 50+ degree days.

Outside of the cold metal it seems to function really well and i like the 10x glass. I agree with the comments about not being user friendly with gloves on and I wish the fire button was a little easier to press...it takes me off target easily trying to press the button. The other three buttons should be spread out further.

bigbulls

Reaction score
Should be some more in the field reviews coming in. Bump to the top.

Alex Wheeler

Reaction score
I have been extremely happy with my BR2500. I have been looking at this new one. I have owned the BR2 and BR2500 and they are the best hunting range finders in my opinion. I had a Terrapin and kestral combo, which was good but honestly found the BR2500 to give me more accurate data and much quicker.

mddat

Reaction score
I’ve being able to use my Revic BR4 for about a month now and it’s a winner for me. The only thing I’ve being able to compare it to is my Sig BDX 2400 and the most noticeable thing is how fast it ranges and provides a ballistic solution at the same time, it’s instant! The BDX shows the range first then cycles to the ballistic solution screen, so win for the BR4.

At first I wasn’t a big fan of the 10x magnification but now I’m really liking it. Definitely nice for those far out targets to get a range. Optically the Sig is better and so is the display, it’s much crisper than the BR4. The BR4 isn’t bad but just not as good as the sig. There are 4 brightness settings, I’ve being using setting #2 seems to work best for me. I actually like the slightly larger size of the BR4 when holding free hand compared to the Sig but that’s more of a personal preference thing. I do wish there was some sort of grippy material on the outside but that’s minor. The range and menu buttons are good size but wish the arrow buttons for cycling the menu options and changing the wind inputs were bigger, next to impossible to use with gloves on. I also really like the flip up lens’s cover, it’s a big plus for someone like me who stores it in my badlands bino harness and not in its case.

One of the best things about this rangefinder is how easy and fast it is to change the wind vector and inputs, it’s awesome! The quick menu and main menu are well thought out and easy to access. Very simple to scroll through and find what you want. If your scrolling through the different menu options and you stop on elevation or temperature for example and then press the range bottom that’s what will show on the bottom of the display screen when taking a range. I like seeing what profile I’m using but it’s nice there are options there. You can change profiles and edit profiles all on the rangefinder it self. You can also true your ballistics but it’s much easier to do in the app.

The app is also well designed, it’s very easy to build a profile and syncs to the rangefinder in seconds. I find it much better than the Sig BDX app. If your device and rangefinder are connected, you can range a target and see the ballistic readouts in the app as well. I do wish the apps ballistic calculator had a chart showing velocity and energy but there’s other apps I can use for that. Only thing I have found is if you turn the Bluetooth off on the rangefinder and then turn it back on later down the road to add another profile, it takes a good 5-10 minutes to connect the rangefinder and app together again, If you want to do it fast you can just remove the battery and reinstall and it seems to connect right away for some reason. No big deal as it works either way.

Again this thing ranges super fast, ranging anything on Near or Far target mode and you can get very consistent readings at 1800-2000 yards no problem in decent weather conditions. On these modes the farthest I’ve been able to range is about 2700 yards so far. When I switch to LR Far or LR Near I’ve being able to range trees and hillsides up to 3500 yards. I haven’t tried it out in the fog yet but I’m sure it will still do great. The scan mode works better on the Sig but I don’t use that feature too often anyways. The ballistic solver seems to be spot on with my 300 win mag and 215 Bergers. Revic has recently done an update in the app and added Doppler based curves for some bullets. I’m in the middle of doing load development with some Hornady 208 ELD-M and it has a custom ballistic curve so will be testing it out soon as well.

This is a solid built rangefinder, I’m very happy with the upgrade

Forum Sponsors