Gunwerks Clymr

Bronco

Reaction score
I just ordered a gunwerks clymr stock. Going to have snowy mountain rifles build it with a defiance deviant GA hunter action, proof sendero barrel chambered in 300 norma. I plan on barrel length being 24 inch. Guru's at gunwerks didn't recommend using the clymr for this setup, they said I should go with the magnus. I was back and fourth between the magnus and the clymr, never had a chance to handle either... I like the weight, grip and narrow forend on the clymr better so I went with it. Anyone running a big magnum on a clymr with a 24+ inch barrel? If so please share.

FURMAN

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
I just ordered a gunwerks clymr stock. Going to have snowy mountain rifles build it with a defiance deviant GA hunter action, proof sendero barrel chambered in 300 norma. I plan on barrel length being 24 inch. Guru's at gunwerks didn't recommend using the clymr for this setup, they said I should go with the magnus. I was back and fourth between the magnus and the clymr, never had a chance to handle either... I like the weight, grip and narrow forend on the clymr better so I went with it. Anyone running a big magnum on a clymr with a 24+ inch barrel? If so please share.
I love Gunwerks and their components but could not possibly disagree more with their configurations. I HATE short barrels. I have a 7 max 26” custom GLR ClymR and love it. I wouldn’t hesitate to build the same setup in 30 cal.

Spreedizzle

Reaction score
I’m similar to Ryan on this one…..running a 28N on my Clymr and love it. But I’m running it at 26”.

Bronco

Reaction score
Right on thats good to hear. Thanks for your input on that I appreciate it
I love Gunwerks and their components but could not possibly disagree more with their configurations. I HATE short barrels. I have a 7 max 26” custom GLR ClymR and love it. I wouldn’t hesitate to build the same setup in 30 cal.

Bronco

Reaction score
I’m similar to Ryan on this one…..running a 28N on my Clymr and love it. But I’m running it at

I’m similar to Ryan on this one…..running a 28N on my Clymr and love it. But I’m running it at 26”.
I was planning on going with a 24 inch barrel. Being GW didn't recommend anything longer then 22, I figured maybe it wouldn't balance well but now I've heard you guys are running 26s that's something for me to consider. I know the 26 inch would benefit the 300 NM. Alot of brush and thick timber hunting here in North idaho and jumping and shooting elk and deer on the move here is pretty common. Does your gun balance pretty good? Handle throwing up and doing off hand shots alright?

FURMAN

Staff member
Reaction score
I was planning on going with a 24 inch barrel. Being GW didn't recommend anything longer then 22, I figured maybe it wouldn't balance well but now I've heard you guys are running 26s that's something for me to consider. I know the 26 inch would benefit the 300 NM. Alot of brush and thick timber hunting here in North idaho and jumping and shooting elk and deer on the move here is pretty common. Does your gun balance pretty good? Handle throwing up and doing off hand shots alright?
I haven’t taken an offhand shot since I was a kid. I did just kill a whitetail leaning against a hedge tree I saw the bullet impact and the deer flop. I’d say it’s balanced just fine.

Spreedizzle

Reaction score
I didn’t buy this stock for off hand shooting. In my opinion, a sporter style stick is more stable for quick draw and off hand shots. That is what I have my 280AI for instead. But for prone, kneeling or sitting…..I have yet to find a more stable stock. And that includes with my 26” barrel, and it balances just fine by me.

FURMAN

Staff member
Reaction score
I would argue that the Clymr is one of two of the best do everything stocks made. The other being the Allterra carbon.

Spreedizzle

Reaction score
I would argue that the Clymr is one of two of the best do everything stocks made. The other being the Allterra carbon.
I would agree as it is my favorite stock. That being said, for off hand, I at least am more comfortable with a sporter style stock and hand grip.

FURMAN

Staff member
Reaction score
I would agree as it is my favorite stock. That being said, for off hand, I at least am more comfortable with a sporter style stock and hand grip.
I can't argue with that as I would never build a rifle for offhand shooting.

FURMAN

Staff member
Reaction score
Move east and hunt the Adirondacks for white tail…..you’ll find yourself 20’ off the ground in a hang on stand and wishing for anything beyond your knees to steady your rifle on for a 150 yard shot. ;)
Lol! No thanks!

Bronco

Reaction score
Yeah off hand is not a good situation, I'm quick to take a knee or get to a tree for a rest. For anytime im pounding timber i was just curious how it seemed to handle. Looks like the clymr is a mix of vertical and traditional style grip. I have a rifle with a manners eh1 and was looking for something between that and a traditional stock... clymr is what I came to.

XTREMHTR16

Reaction score
Hey @Bronco , mind if I ask how much Gunwerks wants for a Clymer stock? Might be an itch I want to scratch this year. Thanks!

OSU Fisher

Reaction score
The clymer and magnus have my attention for one of my new builds. 26” 300nmi. My concern is if the clymer will work with my barrel and 4.0 box. I also typically like a real verticals grip… I have a bunch of ag alpine hunters, couple manners and McMillan. Ag just released a new one that looks intriguing

Bronco

Reaction score
It was just over 1100
The clymer and magnus have my attention for one of my new builds. 26” 300nmi. My concern is if the clymer will work with my barrel and 4.0 box. I also typically like a real verticals grip… I have a bunch of ag alpine hunters, couple manners and McMillan. Ag just released a new one that
The clymer and magnus have my attention for one of my new builds. 26” 300nmi. My concern is if the clymer will work with my barrel and 4.0 box. I also typically like a real verticals grip… I have a bunch of ag alpine hunters, couple manners and McMillan. Ag just released a new one that

The clymer and magnus have my attention for one of my new builds. 26” 300nmi. My concern is if the clymer will work with my barrel and 4.0 box. I also typically like a real verticals grip… I have a bunch of ag alpine hunters, couple manners and McMillan. Ag just released a new one that looks intriguing
Them guys at gunwerks were quick to answer the phone, I'm sure they could tell you pretty quick if it will fit. They probably won't recommend it haha

OSU Fisher

Reaction score
Them guys at gunwerks were quick to answer the phone, I'm sure they could tell you pretty quick if it will fit. They probably won't recommend it haha
Yeah haha. I may call them. I’m not too worried about their recommendation. More if it will fit. I’m nervous if i will like the grip more then anything. I actually love the magnus. Just a tad heavy.

FURMAN

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah haha. I may call them. I’m not too worried about their recommendation. More if it will fit. I’m nervous if i will like the grip more then anything. I actually love the magnus. Just a tad heavy.
I have a Magnus with a 4.0 box

OSU Fisher

Reaction score
Good to know. It’s pretty tempting. The price is steep. But I know they are worth it.

Wish I was in Vegas to help ya drown your sorrows haha. On another note, Go pack go!

FURMAN

Staff member
Reaction score
Good to know. It’s pretty tempting. The price is steep. But I know they are worth it.

Wish I was in Vegas to help ya drown your sorrows haha. On another note, Go pack go!
I guess I’ll have to cheer for Brady and the Chiefs now.

OSU Fisher

Reaction score
I guess I’ll have to cheer for Brady and the Chiefs now.
Haha, can’t help but have respect for Brady. Love or hate, that guy is special.

Planned on making shot this year but work has taken a bad turn and can’t swing it.

Bronco

Reaction score
Well goodluck on your decision. They told me I was ordering just in time because shot show is this coming friday and they usually get real busy after that.

Bronco

Reaction score
Hey Ryan, I've always had hinged floor plates on my rifles and I would say that's what I prefer I guess that's just what I'm used to. The smith at snowy mountain said some of the norma cartridges don't feed as smooth in the dual stack box's compared to a single stack mag. I think he was saying we could go with the hs precision box that fits pretty flush with the stock. I got online and seen the hawkins hunter dbm. That looks pretty slick. Looking at all the dbm's I'd say that's the one I would like seeing on my rifle. Have you used any of them? And do you think the norma would rack rounds better in a mag box then a blessed setup?

Bronco

Reaction score
Hey Ryan, I've always had hinged floor plates on my rifles and I would say that's what I prefer I guess that's just what I'm used to. The smith at snowy mountain said some of the norma cartridges don't feed as smooth in the dual stack box's compared to a single stack mag. I think he was saying we could go with the hs precision box that fits pretty flush with the stock. I got online and seen the hawkins hunter dbm. That looks pretty slick. Looking at all the dbm's I'd say that's the one I would like seeing on my rifle. Have you used any of them? And do you think the norma would rack rounds better in a mag box then a blessed setup?
Bdl setups?

FURMAN

Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t like dbms. The 4.0 boxes are single stack and feed the fat lapua cases as good as anything I’ve owned.

Forum Sponsors