Gunwerks Clymr component stock review

rfurman24

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Over the next several months I will be reviewing a Gunwerks Clymr. Please ask any questions you would like specifically addressed and I will try to do so. Thanks.

6.5sandoz

Reaction score
I am curious how the grip is when prone. I tend to like very vertical grips but this seems like it might be pretty accommodating in lots of different positions hopefully works well prone.

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
It is a great compromise between a full vertical grip and a "classic" grip.

J2shooter

Reaction score
I have one on order for my 6.5 saum build . It should be here towards the end of the month. Your sheep rifle shootout video pretty well sealed the deal for me on the stock selection. I had to bail on my initial plan which was 6.5 PRC on a Defiance XM action.......I hope the clymer is worth it :)

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is the stock we received. The action is off to get a couple barrels threaded and chambered.
NllYx52l.jpg

Ladd

Reaction score
Nice looking stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DropTines

Reaction score
What caliber did you test it on? And up to what calibers would you use this stock on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spreedizzle

Reaction score
Very happy with mine, and I’m shooting the 28N with 175’s at 3085. The ergonomics of the stock mitigate recoil on that round to under my 280AI. Given, I have the CA directional brake on this rifle, and I shoot the 280AI with 160’s at 2900 for reference. Very impressive for a lighter stock with all of the features that it has.

Attachments

• C7BDA7BA-8793-4761-A4C3-02E9778D4A35.jpeg
    C7BDA7BA-8793-4761-A4C3-02E9778D4A35.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

mjspeers

Reaction score
Have a 300WM project in the works. Ordered the Ryan Mantha reamer and having Carbon Six make the barrel for an anTi. Hoping to run Wyatt's box for some extended seating depth. Making my choices based a lot on what I've read and seen in your videos.

Up until this review I was planning on an EH1 but now seriously reconsidering. I have an EH1, I like it. Although I think I would prefer a slightly thinner palm swell and a little less vertical. The Clymr seems to check those boxes. Would this be a more appropriate stock for a general purpose elk gun? I have never been elk hunting, but putting in for points and plan to get this rifle built for future hunts. So I guess I don't know what I don't know.

Last edited:

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
Have a 300WM project in the works. Ordered the Ryan Mantha reamer and having Carbon Six make the barrel for an anTi. Hoping to run Wyatt's box for some extended seating depth. Making my choices based a lot on what I've read hear and seen in yorur videos.

Up until this review I was planning on an EH1 but now seriously reconsidering. I have an EH1, I like it. Although I think I would prefer a slightly thinner palm swell and a little less vertical. The Clymr seems to check those boxes. Would this be a more appropriate stock for a general purpose elk gun? I have never been elk hunting, but putting in for points and plan to get this rifle built for future hunts. So I guess I don't know what I don't know.
I love the EH1 but I prefer the Clymr, Magnus, and Allterra carbon.

mjspeers

Reaction score
Ryan, how long was your stock in the video? I know the Clymr is slightly shorter, do you think there's any problem or downfall of having a longer barrel 24-26"?

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
Ryan, how long was your stock in the video? I know the Clymr is slightly shorter, do you think there's any problem or downfall of having a longer barrel 24-26"?
Mine was standard everything. I assume you are talking about LOP? It was the standard length. That rifle in the video has a 26" barrel. I hate short barrels and don't see the point. It shoots like a dream.

mjspeers

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help. Standard on Gunwerks seems to be 13.5" LOP.

Would one of the wedge style hunting bags from you guys be appropriate with the flatter bottom of the stock, or just a regular flat bag?

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your help. Standard on Gunwerks seems to be 13.5" LOP.

Would one of the wedge style hunting bags from you guys be appropriate with the flatter bottom of the stock, or just a regular flat bag?
I have found the LRO bag works great with the McMillan stocks as well as flat bottom stocks. I do not feel there is a better rear bag for hunting.

Spreedizzle

Reaction score
I have found the LRO bag works great with the McMillan stocks as well as flat bottom stocks. I do not feel there is a better rear bag for hunting.
I second this. I use the LRO bag under my Clymr and it has excellent stability and elevation control with the slope of the stock. Honestly….there isn’t a better rear bag….I have tried most of them.

NK Hunter

Reaction score
Over the next several months I will be reviewing a Gunwerks Clymr. Please ask any questions you would like specifically addressed and I will try to do so. Thanks.
Love these stocks. Running 2 Magnus's & 3 Clymr's between me and my boys...

mjspeers

Reaction score
Ordered yesterday. Was a little surprised to learn that their component stocks do not include the wedge style bedding block that clamps down on the recoil lug, that's only available on the complete rifles systems you order from them. The salesman indicated bedding would be necessary. Is that what you guys did with your Clymr component stocks?

Spreedizzle

Reaction score
Ordered yesterday. Was a little surprised to learn that their component stocks do not include the wedge style bedding block that clamps down on the recoil lug, that's only available on the complete rifles systems you order from them. The salesman indicated bedding would be necessary. Is that what you guys did with your Clymr component stocks?
Yup. Simple bedding job at the recoil lug is all that is needed and you’ll be good to go. I had to open up the bolt handle port a bit. But that was done with a simple fine flat file.

J2shooter

Reaction score
Yes, had a full bedding job done on mine.

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
Ordered yesterday. Was a little surprised to learn that their component stocks do not include the wedge style bedding block that clamps down on the recoil lug, that's only available on the complete rifles systems you order from them. The salesman indicated bedding would be necessary. Is that what you guys did with your Clymr component stocks
My 338 terminator isn’t bedded. It’s shoots lights out.

Robbsrice

Reaction score
In the review of this stock and the Fierce Rival you mention that you are moving to using all QD flush cups for your slings and that you’ve found several slings that work well for you. Would you please share the slings you prefer? I appreciate your knowledge and willingness to pass it on.

K45

Reaction score
Strange - I bought one for a 6mm CM build and it came with the wedge style block that clamps down on the recoil lug, I never bedded it and it’s extremely accurate.

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
Strange - I bought one for a 6mm CM build and it came with the wedge style block that clamps down on the recoil lug, I never bedded it and it’s extremely accurate.
Which action did you order it for?

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
In the review of this stock and the Fierce Rival you mention that you are moving to using all QD flush cups for your slings and that you’ve found several slings that work well for you. Would you please share the slings you prefer? I appreciate your knowledge and willingness to pass it on.
This is the one I prefer.

I really like this one as well.

mjspeers

Reaction score
Ryan, watching your Vlogs, I know you were asking for feedback, I really like them. Not sure where it's being discussed.

I only have 100y range available unless crops are out and/or a long drive. Any tips for load workup with a shortened range would be great. Generally I try to work up a load that gives fair groups and good numbers. Then play with seating depth to tighten the groups. Obviously should go out and validate at range, but rarely get the chance.

K45

Reaction score
Odd. They are supposed to only come with that wedge when ordered for a GW action.
The dealer I bought in from does builds off the Gunwerks action so maybe that is why. Either way I think the wedge is a good option.

They are building me a 7 SAUM using a Clymr stock and Gunwerks action - Interesting to see if it will come with the wedge as well.I’m thinking it will.

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
The dealer I bought in from does builds off the Gunwerks action so maybe that is why. Either way I think the wedge is a good option.

They are building me a 7 SAUM using a Clymr stock and Gunwerks action - Interesting to see if it will come with the wedge as well.I’m thinking it will.
So you did not order it from Gunwerks for a Defiance? That explains it. Thanks!

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
Ryan, watching your Vlogs, I know you were asking for feedback, I really like them. Not sure where it's being discussed.

I only have 100y range available unless crops are out and/or a long drive. Any tips for load workup with a shortened range would be great. Generally I try to work up a load that gives fair groups and good numbers. Then play with seating depth to tighten the groups. Obviously should go out and validate at range, but rarely get the chance.
I will start a generic thread for the vlogs later today. I suggest using my version of the OCW when limited by distance.

K45

Reaction score
So you did not order it from Gunwerks for a Defiance? That explains it. Thanks!
Lol. you are right I never ordered it from Gunwerks, but I did order a Clymr for a Defiance action from a dealer who ordered it from Gunwerks.

Either or the Clymr is a great stock, thank you for a great review as always.

Forum Sponsors